AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 12:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Energy Work, Psionics, & Paranormal Studies  |  General Psi | Psychic | Psionics | Energetic Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Why I Don't Believe In Psionics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Why I Don't Believe In Psionics  (Read 59084 times)
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 11:00:10 PM »

Unprovable to current science. It's certainly provable, but the proof comes from within and not from without.

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
-- Alexander Pope, Unknown , 1688-1744

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
-- Heinlein's Razor
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 11:16:29 PM »

Proof, by definition, is something that holds up in a court of law or science,  demonstrable and duplicatable to observers. Anything from within isn't proof, its faith - huge difference. That's a common fallacy those of faith like to push - that what they believe IS fact, when it is not.  And while I always state science is always learning and evolving, currently, there IS no credible proof, either to energy workings, or to god. It is only they believing in such that makes it real to them, no more, no less.

Automotive Necromancer
SangSavvy
Level 3 Contributor

Love is Always Fate's decision.

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 01:38:24 AM »

I agree with Sentinel here. 

RK, I just wanted to say, although I do not agree with nearly all of your poor behavior, sometimes your approach of things makes me Lol - in a good way.  It's not something I can seem to shake, and I felt compelled to share when a sense of humor just deflates the nerd-rage.... It's a thing of beauty and is sometimes needed. 

I hope that one day you might be able to use that humorous approach to be a bit more consistent in your stances on things, rather than sort of tailoring your responses to each opposition you come into contact with to the point of inconsistency.  You backpedal and jump back and forth a lot, and it's a shame, because I think with some focus you might be able to bring some level-headed understandings to the table.  Maybe you feel like you need to be defensive in order to have a friend here, or anywhere.  You hate judgement, but well, you do a lot of judging, and lack a lot of patience with others it would seem.  I see that delight you have with viewing the behind-the-scenes info you have on people, eventually wanting to use it as ammo or some sort of blackmail. 

Perhaps I am way off-base, as I have not known you on the forum very long, but I just thought I would share my opinion. 
Soulshroude
Level 4 Contributor

A whisper in the wind, heard in the dead of night

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 07:25:33 AM »

I do believe ~RKCoon~ that you have:  Phenomenal Cosmic POWER!  Right here, direct from the lamp for our entertainment purposes.  thankyou!

Eh, I have always been under the impression that Psionics was and still is a roleplay term.  Correct me if I am wrong, but the only places I have read this word is in comics and other roleplay material.

"Those of whom hath commited a fault, shall be given the chance to redeem themselves." ~Faust~

"To labor under a dilusion of grandeur will, as time allows.. corrupt." ~Soulshroude~
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 10:00:49 AM »

I do believe ~RKCoon~ that you have:  Phenomenal Cosmic POWER!  Right here, direct from the lamp for our entertainment purposes.  thankyou!

Eh, I have always been under the impression that Psionics was and still is a roleplay term.  Correct me if I am wrong, but the only places I have read this word is in comics and other roleplay material.

Actually, no.  Correction incoming.  Its a formal term developed during the governmental study days.  Koon is correct in his use of words, more correct than people using the term psi-vamp.

Psychic has to do with mental perception.. out of body, precog etc.
Psionics had to do with effecting the world with the mind.. pyrokenisis, telekinesis.. 'men staring at goats' sort of thing.

The terms have been being used all along.. just not in the public eye.

Sangsavvy,

Koon has been behaving himself the last few days.  Hes not always a terror it seems.  Yes, he does present a nearly religous faith based resistance to many topics.. but there is a role to that.  I think he has been making an effort to make things less personal, so I will encourage that.

That said.. proof which only satisfies the observer is anecdotal, unfortunately, putting us in the realm of faith and subjective observation.  Not a lot wrong with that.. but claiming its proof in a a practical manner, is difficult.

Koon,

Actually, there is a growing body of sceince that is lending validation to energy play.  Insurance companies are becomming mroe and more willing to pay for certain energy work treatments like rekei, and accupuncture.  Eastern medicine has documented this for centuries.  No.. it is not an exact science, but medicine rarely is, and if you look at psychology its is very nebulous.

Also.. I believe Hawkings has proven mathamatically that there was an observer necessary to be present at the moment of the big bang, or the timeline event.  Its a quantum physics thing.. but lends the question.. who was the observer?

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
arcane
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »

You're welcome to visit our dalnet irc channel: #houseofancients

We do live demos of ranged energy. Ask an op for one. They may be busy at the time, and if so, make an appointment.

We've demo'd and trained hundreds of people.

My personal experience is that about 5% of the population can't feel subtle energy. If you're one, then that's too bad. We'll see I suppose. Some people are blind to visual light, it happens. Nothing one can do about it, but for a blind person to run around yelling that "visible light doesn't exist" seems a bit silly to me.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents. Get a demo, maybe it will help.

As to "astral", most of it is bullcrap. Like 90%.
That said, a bit of it is real. There's some amazing things out there, and horrible too.

The universe is much more complex and unfathomable than we can prove. And often its not what we would like it to be.

Soulshroude
Level 4 Contributor

A whisper in the wind, heard in the dead of night

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »

~Paindancer~, yes.. I know about the "men who stare at goats" military research that the movie was based on regarding psionics.  I was trying to make a funny but failed at it, miserably. 

Now back to our show.

"Those of whom hath commited a fault, shall be given the chance to redeem themselves." ~Faust~

"To labor under a dilusion of grandeur will, as time allows.. corrupt." ~Soulshroude~
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 11:59:11 PM »

Sangsavvy --

RK, I just wanted to say, although I do not agree with nearly all of your poor behavior, sometimes your approach of things makes me Lol - in a good way.  It's not something I can seem to shake, and I felt compelled to share when a sense of humor just deflates the nerd-rage.... It's a thing of beauty and is sometimes needed.

My "poor behavior" as you call it, is simply me having utterly zero reason to hold back and play nice to the idiots, morons, retards, assholes, ignorant twats and mental midgets that tend to infest the OVC as a whole. They say something stupid? Im gonna call them on it. They want to be a bitch/ass to me? Ill happily rip them apart, Ive been around the OVC far too long to tolerate such BS, and not happily shove it right back down the perp's throats.  IF people want to have an intelligent, well thought out and reasoned debate with me, Im up to that as well - however, most people take cold hard logic that obliterates their beliefs rather personally. Occasionally I am pleasantly surprised (As I was with Anshar and I's debates a while back), but usually, they prove thier lack of simple common sense.  Secondly, if you think I haven't been consistent, feel free to PM me and prove it.

PD- regarding the energy work being proven/worked on - back it up or it aint happening.

Soulshroude -- Wink

arcane (hey that rhymes with my name!) - Who was that invite directed to, out of raccoon mangling curiusity?

Automotive Necromancer
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 12:09:11 AM »

Edit:

Nah, thought better of the post. It was just rising to bait.

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
-- Alexander Pope, Unknown , 1688-1744

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
-- Heinlein's Razor
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 12:21:18 AM »

RK - tone it down a few notches and make sure things don't turn personal.

RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 12:57:25 AM »

Excuse me? After the crap I took just setting foot here, I think you might wanna try that again.

Automotive Necromancer
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 05:37:35 AM »

Koon, dont need to back it up.. look at what insurance companies are paying for.

As for the way you have been treated.. you are a victim of your own creation more times than not.  You get kicked around when you start attacking folks.

Paindancer
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:17 AM »

Says the the guy that, out of the blue, accused me of turning his wife. Riiiiight. wanna try that again while your at it there, VI?

Automotive Necromancer
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 10:30:22 AM »

Yawn.  Good morning kiddo.. I see you are back into old patterns again.

Here we go again.. ad nasium.

I never accused you of managing to turn anyone.. just attempting to do so in a botched 'jump start' approach.  Your words, friend, not mine.

As for the rest of your rant.. meh.. helping you would be like polishing brass on the titanic at this point.

Paindancer
Nadia115
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »

Koon, you came in attacking someone you are apparently cyber stalking. A couple of us let it be known we did not like such actions and kept insisting you play nice. If anyone here deserves your deranged anger and nastiness, it would be me and Pain Dancer. No one else, as it seems everyone else is trying to be as civil as possible to you and are also attempting to have discussions with you. So, using your own words....I am thinking you may want to try that again. Chill out and ditch the personal attacks.

I had hoped to come back on here in a better way as I had to take a hiatus due to being elected to keep vigil over a dieing family member and then dealing with funeral arrangements and taking care of their possessions they have collected over many years. I was also hoping to hold off for a few more days while dealing with things needing to be done. Oh well...I guess I am back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: