AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 02:10:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  AVA Discussion: Vampires; Hierarchies & Elders? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: AVA Discussion: Vampires; Hierarchies & Elders?  (Read 53508 times)
masticina
Level 3 Contributor

Rwar I am a tiger

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »

Nice one Smiley

Feel the same about it so sure there are teachers and those who are wise. Doesn't means they have to wear a big wig, a big neck crane and some kind of cape.

Most great teachers I seen well are just like you are me. Maybe longer in the game and have more natural insights then some others. But yeah equal like everybody else.

In a group I co lead our leadership is only in function. One of the going mantras is that each of us is a student and teacher.. we only use our function to keep trouble out of the house.

This isn't in direct reply to anything but the article.

I don't do pecking order.  We're all equal.
Respect must always be earned.
Every awakening is an individual experience.

I don't think having a mentor would have helped me personally at all, as then I'd have had pre-concieved notions about labeling my specific needs & methods of satisfying them.  That said, I guess sometimes people want to have another person to help them construct guidelines.  This may be necessary for some, I understand.  When left to my own devices I was able to learn what I should or should not do by experimentation & find effective methods for the different things I was able to do or experience.

I've never been big on structure, though!  Anyone who IS an "Elder" would never use the term themselves IMHO.  They simply ARE respected not because they demand it, but because they command respect automatically from those around them!  Power-grabbers & self-proclaimed teachers are not Edlers.

Fear nothing but Fear itself
Oblivionburns
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2011, 10:57:59 PM »

Cool  Kindred spirits always seem to gravitate together, maybe that's why the illusion of hierarchy fails with me.  Isn't it pretty easy to figure out who deserves respect & who doesn't?  Of course it is.  I think the real question here has to do with assigning public "spokepersons" (if you will) that most of us can agree are reasonable individuals.  That is a very rough rock to identify.
At the admitted risk of repeating myself, I don't think that we, as a community, should join in the "Golden Age of Transparency".
Who can we trust to represent us to a society that roundly denounces much of what we do?

If a new Awakened is lucky enough to find someone who's been through similar experiences & can help them learn how to control their abilities, that's priceless.  Being taught by a self-proclaimed Elder isn't a process I would ever trust.  Just saying.

Shadow hide you, moon watch over you, night cloak you, peace keep you.
display
Level 5 Contributor

sorry, but my "Givafuk" is broken

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2011, 09:21:17 PM »

: bump :
darkwitch
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »

Minus the roleplay and drama.  An elder would be a good resource to consult with when life gets complicated.
deacongray
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2011, 01:13:18 PM »

I don't see things as Pecking Order...most of the houses I have seen don't seem to look at it as a pecking order...though I admit to seeing some act that way.  Senior members of the house are just that...people with time and expirence who can help guide you on your personal path if you let them. Everyone seems to forget that once you join a house, you are not locked in...you can leave at anytime. Being in a House is all about personal individual choices. Those who join choose to be part of a collective, they choose to follow the rules of that house.

Do House Elders have a stronger voice...well in some ways sure...but if the house you are involved with has any value they also understand that expirence comes in many ways and you do not have to be in a House to get expirence. You listen to all your members, from the very newest, to the oldest and you work together. Still at somepoint the decisions have to be made, and everyone, if there is going to be any unity of action or effort will have to abid by those decisions. If those decisions run too far against your own core, you can leave the group.

I think what a lot of people miss is that we are able to make up our own minds. But, if you want to get things done, it helps to have a group you are working with. It will never be perfect, but it is better for some of us then sitting around as a individual and able to accomplish little...though I have seen individuals accomplish a great deal, though in the end they end up in some kind of organization they have created to do so...call the group what you like...many minds, voices, talents and skills are better then a single, but only if unified with common goals. Other wise...its just community board bickering
darkwitch
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2011, 02:44:34 PM »

Goals r great to have.  But as one gets older goals fade into history.  About 10 years ago I tried to remember what my goals were when I became a young adult.  For the life of me I could not remmber.  A number of years passed and I did remember a few.  Though I dont recall why I wanted the things I wanted.  If joining a House is  goal oriented then its another good reason for me to remain solo.  Perhaps thats  why so many that post r young.  Like minded people seeking answers to questions and working together to achieve an understanding is a lofty persuit.  I wonder how many members remain in a group for a lifetime?  I would imagine that number is small.
Oblivionburns
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2011, 02:19:39 AM »

Strange that the whole discussion has waxed ethereal.  What work are these self-proclaimed Elders doing?  Those involved in the research aspect of everything have surely done a great deal!  Again, I must stress that trust must be earned.  All this talk of nebulous deeds which may or may not have occurred smacks of secrets that don't actually exist.  All I know is I can disrupt others by feeding upon them, help them by alleiviating their pain, or energize them like a cup of coffee would.  I never pretend to be cosmopolitan, others here have helped me a lot!  Could anyone be a bit more specific as to how they have personally been helped by becoming part of a House or having an Elder take them under the wing?  Thank you in advance!  :-)

Shadow hide you, moon watch over you, night cloak you, peace keep you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: