AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:19:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Therianthropy & Otherkin  |  General Otherkin Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  The Truth About Fae 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The Truth About Fae  (Read 50950 times)
Maloryn
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »

Random divergence:

The term fae is possibly even more over-used than the term vampire...

Fae = strange / otherworldly as an adjective
Fae = Fae/ Fairy as a type of spirit or energy being often admired by or revered by pagans/ wiccans/ etc
Fae = Faerie (sp preference?) tradition Wiccans
Fae = a subcategory of Otherkin
Fae = a mythological creature often used in fiction, often divided into even more subgroups (Sidhe, Eldritch, Elf, etc.)

Just spent a week camping with some Faerie tradition folks and saw this thread and it made me realize how potentially confusing the issue could get if one person is talking about one kind of fae and someone else talking about another...

---Mal
who's glad he's not a Fae as being a vamp causes enough conversational confusion Smiley
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »

*grumbles*

fae.. I dun like em! 

They like to play tricks on being who try very hard to follow the rules.   Grr.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
NyteMuse
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »

BTW, The Sentinel is my new hero Smiley One of the better compilations I've seen of fey-related info as of late. Bravo!

With fae, the coin of the realm lies in favors for, after all, what good are material things to creatures made of dreams? They can create jewels, gold, and all other such things at a whim so physical goods mean little.

True and not true. Manifestation has its limits, and tends to work more readily on natural items. As a result, man-made (or at least man-assembled) things are valued in negotiations. If you want to leave an offering for fey spirits around your home, bread with honey and milk/cream or whiskey work well (sometimes depends on the spirit in question).

The bane of all faerie creatures is cold iron. It damages the glamour in them and burns them terribly. If you have a problem with the creatures this is a way of preventing them from entering or accessing your home and area but it is not recommended because they will likely develop true venom for you and in that case you may find yourself in more trouble later. Salt lining a doorway and lintel and so on will prevent them from entering a room without necessarily causing them pain or insulting them - that is a vastly more improved methodology of dealing with an 'infestation' of faeries or any other metaphysical creature (with some exceptions.)

Other helpful suggestion: if you think you're being glamoured or deceived, turn an item of clothing inside out. It changes the appearance and thus breaks the glamour and you should be able to see the truth of things.

Just spent a week camping with some Faerie tradition folks

*ears perk up* You speaking of Faery Wicca folk? Cuz there's another branch out there, Anderson Feri Tradition (and some people DO still spell it "Faerie"). Not Wicca, but it is a Witchcraft tradition.
Aurora Belladonna
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »

Speaking as a Fae, and to the op,
I can tell you that i am mischevious and playful, i enjoy a good practical joke. But i dont make it a habit to lie. Like any other kin, or vampire, or normal person, we fae are as varied and different from one another as night from day at times. Not all of us are mischevious, or tricksters. Some of us are. Not all of us are liars. Some of us are.
Its impossible to categorize us into one umbrella term.
As for being in a human body, arent we all? I believe that its the soul that has a body, not the body that has a soul. The soul is eternal, and immortal and it is the soul that is otherkin. The soul can of course affect the body, but tbh the body doesnt matter in the long run. It is simply a vessel for the current incarnation. Of course this is just my humble opinion.
Bella

May the shadows hold you gently.
Aurora Belladonna
CoyoteHolistic@yahoo.com
Maenad
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »

It seems to me anyway that someone can label someone a "fae" like people back in the day use to label people they didn't like "witches" especially with they tricking bit and not trusting them. I think there are certain things that contextualize us, like I'm a Maenad and need wine to be ok physically, there should be a separation between that and biology. Like I'd never claim to be like Maryann Forrester (True Blood) though mythologically speaking she does fit what a Maenad would be. Personally I think it's dangerous to assume magical thinking, just because there are some areas science doesn't get yet doesn't mean it won't in the future. 

In vino veritas. Vero est vita.... In the process.
Aptrgangr
Level 1 Contributor

Vampire, not sang.

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 04:38:41 AM »

I agree with these statements.

I'm a vampire, I don't claim any other odd state of being but, I have a friend here in Portland who is most definitely faery, as much as I am vampire. When we met we both recognized each other, which was shocking to me. Se puts off scads of energy as a normal thing, just being herself and while I do not energy feed consciously,meeting AROUND HER energizes me similar to a blood feeding. She has a way of getting anything she wants, just... Gets it, and although I can do similar things, I get what I want mp because I will it, I push against people's wills, she more draws them in.

Pretty much everyone becomes infatuated with her, including my ex when he met her, which, is common amongst her and the other faery I've met. She is much less dark than the first one I recognized, but recognizes she could have gone dark early on, recognized it was an addictive feeling and alluring.

We had pizza the other night, discussed many things and it's just a joy to be with her. I see her as she is and she sees what I am and it's simpatico. She's not afraid of me or my "presence" as human people are and it's also delightful to be myself and not feel fearful emotions rolling off the people I'm with. She has told me some profound things about myself that I had not considered before and can -see- as well as I can into other's auras/energies.

My experience with fairies is only a couple right now and I'm not quick to label people that. I either see it or I don't. It's not hard to see though once you've learned to recognize the traits and will miss being able to visit her once I'm in Atlanta but we will keep in touch and perhaps I'll discover others there.

As a side note, I do NOT feel the "fairy pagans" are often the real deal. I've been around plenty of witches and a lot of the younger ones like to play dress up fairies much in the same way some of the goths like to play dress up vampires. A pair of big butterfly wings doesn't make you faery, it makes you playful ...and possibly promiscuous... My two cents.

-Aptrgangr

Speaking as a Fae, and to the op,
I can tell you that i am mischevious and playful, i enjoy a good practical joke. But i dont make it a habit to lie. Like any other kin, or vampire, or normal person, we fae are as varied and different from one another as night from day at times. Not all of us are mischevious, or tricksters. Some of us are. Not all of us are liars. Some of us are.
Its impossible to categorize us into one umbrella term.
As for being in a human body, arent we all? I believe that its the soul that has a body, not the body that has a soul. The soul is eternal, and immortal and it is the soul that is otherkin. The soul can of course affect the body, but tbh the body doesnt matter in the long run. It is simply a vessel for the current incarnation. Of course this is just my humble opinion.
Bella

Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 12:53:01 PM »

I apologize for a bit of necro-posting but considering the thread is about fae, and I noticed a couple articles posted in the beginning, I'd like to share something that I put together some time ago, in hopes it proves useful for anyone:

The term Fae tends to be a bit of a broad term. Here I will try to simplify the complexity as best I can.
*Please keep in mind that accurate information may vary from person to person and from resource to resource.

When most people hear "Fae" they think, Fairy, right?
Well what are Fae really?

First, let us define Fae.

According to Wikipedia:

Fae, is simply another term for Fairy.
A fairy (also faery, faerie, fay, fae; euphemistically wee folk, good folk, people of peace, fair folk, etc.)[1] is a type of mythical being or legendary creature, a form of spirit, often described as metaphysical, supernatural or preternatural.
Fairies resemble various beings of other mythologies, though even folklore that uses the term fairy offers many definitions. Sometimes the term describes any magical creature, including goblins or gnomes: at other times, the term only describes a specific type of more ethereal creature.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy

According to MythicalCreaturesGuide.com:

In the English Language fey means otherwordly, able to see the future, or touched in the head.
- http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Fae

It can be gathered that while Fairies are Fae, not all Fae are Fairies. Fae tend to be very nature-oriented creatures, having a parrellel existance in this, our physical world, and in a "magickal" (Subtle/Non-phsyical) Plane.
- While commonly thought to be mischevious and playful (primarily Fairies), this is not the case for all.

Some entities that may fall under the term "Fae" are (but not limited to):
List includes kin-types & mythical creatures
  • Fairies
  • Angels
  • Elves
  • Nymphs
  • Pixies
  • *Succubi
  • Elementals
  • Gnomes
  • Ogres
  • Giants
  • Mer-folk
  • Genies (Jinn)
  • Dryads

*Succubus suggested as Fae type via pop-culture. See SyFy series Lost Girl
[/list]

Specific Resources to/for/of Fae:
Some of these links may reference more toward varying myths and fantasy than the realistic perspectives, Keep an open mind and a grain of salt handy. Every bit can be useful.

http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Fae
http://thefae.freeservers.com/
http://main.otherkinalliance.org/articles/specific-otherkin/the-seven-roads-to-faery/
http://main.otherkinalliance.org/articles/specific-otherkin/elf-my-past/
http://main.otherkinalliance.org/articles/specific-otherkin/kabouters/
http://immortalones.com/otherkin/fae-elven-mer-folk/
OtherkinAlliance.org Forum section Elementals, Elves & Fae(must join to view)
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/spiritsong/WhoAreFae.html
http://s4.zetaboards.com/Land_of_Incantre/topic/8464257/1/
http://conmyth.wikia.com/wiki/The_Fae

Fae Courts
Fae, like other creatures, are often categorized as Dark, Light, or Neutral. For Fae, this puts them into specifically termed Courts.

Major Courts are:
  • Seelie (Light)
  • Unseelie (Dark)

Some believe in breaking down the courts further*:
  • Winter
  • Summer
  • Spring
  • Autumn

(reference: OtherkinAlliance - The Summer & Winter Courts by "Verde")

*This is a new concept to me, personally. More information or better explanation to come as more information becomes available.

Further Information on Courts & Classifications:
OtherkinAlliance - On The Fae, by "airforcegrrl"
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20021213a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classifications_of_fairies

Fae groups

Fae are either "Trooping" or "Solitary" creatures. Often communities are overseen by a King and Queen.

Fae Otherkin
Fae-Kin for short.

Fae-kin are simply humans, identifying as otherkin (People who feel that they are in some way not entirely human), who believe their kin-type to be of a Fae variety.
Tensou Akebimaru
Level 4 Contributor

I like milkshakes.

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 02:06:09 PM »

Here is everything anyone needs to know about Fae.

1. They want to enrapture and ensnare humans.
2. They have no cares for anyone or anything beyond themselves and their agendas.
3. They are incapable of lying. However, they are masters of double-speak.
4. Never bargain with Fae. You will always get the bad end of the deal.
5. No Fae is trustworthy. This includes the lowliest Pixies, all the way to the Leanansidhe.
6. No Fae has a corporeal form. They can create a body, but it is only temporary.
7. Unless someone here was first conceived in the realm of Dream, nobody posting on this thread is actually Fae. There is a difference between being Fae and Fae-born.
8. Never fight a Fae. You will lose every time.
9. Never accept a gift from a Fae. You will be indebted to them for as long as they wish you to be.
10. Never converse, talk, communicate, contact, look at, listen to, or trust a true Fae.

Fae are not benevolent, nor are they malignant. They are self-centered and mischievous.

Baldur, guard me, that the blows of my enemies may ne'er find purchase gainst the shield of my faith in Asgard. Tyr, guide that my hand be steady and my blade strike true and swift at the enemies of the Allfather.
daeges-eage
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 05:53:01 AM »

This is rather late and I'm terribly sorry to be intruding on this thread with a slight diversion of topic, but I was wondering if anyone here could direct me to some books/websites/people/anything which might be able to help me determine whether I am a fae or not? I recently met this group of people, and a very significant person, who are all very aware of the supernatural world, and all of them are dead certain I am at least part fae.

If you request their reasoning I will gladly list them, but I'd rather not bore anyone with details they don't wish to read.

Thank you Smiley
Tensou Akebimaru
Level 4 Contributor

I like milkshakes.

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 12:45:51 AM »

WiteRavyn

Those people are bloody crazy enough to openly deal with Fae. They probably have more specific information beyond the obvious, "Don't talk to, look at, listen to, or even be remotely in the vicinity of Fae".

Baldur, guard me, that the blows of my enemies may ne'er find purchase gainst the shield of my faith in Asgard. Tyr, guide that my hand be steady and my blade strike true and swift at the enemies of the Allfather.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: