Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Possible Definition of contemporary vampirism. Agree or Dis?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Game Trophies:  23
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Possible Definition of contemporary vampirism. Agree or Dis? Reply with quote

I really haven't found a website or anything that satisfactorily defines our subculture. Here is what I'd like to see in Webster. I'll edit as the discussion progresses. What do you think? Anything missing?

Thread Summary updated 8.21.07:

Current Definites
• Do not assume, when someone uses the word "vampire", they are talking about the Hollywood Nosferatu.
• There is a contemporary subculture who uses the word to describe their pursuits of energy gain and release.

Contraversial Statements for discussion
• The subculture chose this name in its beginings at a time when it was relavent. But since that time the culture's beliefs have grown and evolved into something different. Is there still a relavent link to the vampire label?

Last edited by SoulSplat on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
nightchild

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are many way's to get energy sometimes i would do chakra but when coming to the 6th and the 7th i fall asleep.someone told me cause its from my psychic energy which is low & thats the reason why one falls asleep.
Vampires are like other ppl but with something special about them some call it evolution.But to be honest most about vampires ppl get is from books or Hollywood. Energy workers are hard to label most of them do alot of good.
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you nightchild.

Todays "vampires" are nothing like the Hollywood vampires. It seems to be an attempt to rebrand the word.
Lord_Abdou

Game Trophies:  7
Hall Of Fame Member
View My Character

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the probléme , when you talking about vampires here or

anywhere , most ppls think about the vampires in hollywood ,

Dracula , Bram Stocker ... some ppl ignore you and walk off .
nightchild

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause some ppl don't really have any interest in it and find the movies intertaining ans some don't like watching these movies.
some are affraid of the darkness within themselves so ingore it but it catches unto them. They rather not know so they can go one with there life in bliss.ignorance is bliss.
Maloryn
House Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible Definition of contemporary vampirism. Agree or Reply with quote

SoulSplat wrote:

We can't fly, we're not immortal, we don't have fangs, we can't "turn" people, and it's not even about blood. We lack energy so we seek it out in different ways. "

SOURCE: http://community.livejournal.com/real_vamp/profile

I'd say it's more about energy instability than energy deficiency. Not all vamps are always lacking in energy and we tend to burn energy faster than "normal" people as well.

---Mal
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think deficiency might be the wrong word.

Revised definition posted.
Amber Mallis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really haven't found a website or anything that satisfactorily defines our subculture. Here is what I'd like to see in Webster. I'll adit as the discussion progresses. What do you think? Anything missing? Updated definition in yellow.

"Do not assume, when someone uses the word "vampire", they are talking about the Hollywood Nosferatu. There is a contemporary subculture who uses the word to describe their pursuits of energy gain and release. " (updated 8.17.07)

"Drop the book, turn off the movie--we're not like that at all.

We can't fly, we're not immortal, we don't have fangs, we can't "turn" people, and it's not even about blood. We lack energy so we seek it out in different ways. "

SOURCE: http://community.livejournal.com/real_vamp/profile

It's really what people see a lot, like the great writers out there and the great directors out there, it seems all so real to people these days, because of, for example, how magicians make hats disappear and reappear onto people's heads, while the whole time there was a string attached to the given out hats, but the audience only sees the hat disappear and reappear. So, people these days, don't see the whole thing happen in front of them. They only see what is shown to them or what they want to see, like NightChild said, "Ignorance" is big with people in these days.

I just think, in my opinion, it's just because people like to lose theirselves in books and in movies, and eventually they'll get caught up in it, and sometimes, some people, like I asked my friend about why she gets afraid in horror movies, she said exactly this, "It seems believing and it seems easy to believe because it's made right there on the screen and it's told to you like in a storybook, where you can believe", sometimes it's hard for people to comprehend the real thing from the fake. So I guess in my opinion that's why people believe in the fiction more than the fact. Rolling Eyes
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one reason why our subculture is misdefined, is due to misinformation. To date, I have not seen an accurate definition of what "we" believe. The only thing the public has to use for a reference is the Hollywood/horror definition of the word "vampire". So of course the public is going to gravitate towards that.

I almost think it would be easier for us if we selected a new term, that did not have the stigma/reputation "vampire" does. I do understand the term's relavence to our message

Its funny but I just looked up the word in "THE NEW WEBSTER'S LIBRARY OF PRACTICAL INFORMATION" (copywrite 1990). It defines the term "Vampire" (on page 476) as :

Vampire n (in popular superstition) a ghost or evil spirit which leaves a grave at night to suck the blood of people asleep // a person who exploits others ruthlessly.

In my opinion, neither of these convey what I believe myself to be. Speaking on a very basic level, I would say, factors that drew me to this site were as follows: (1) Tendencies to "get off" on the energies of others (2) An affinity to mystical or metaphysical concepts.

To date, I have found no public dictionaries that do our subculture justice. If you have, please let me know.

But I think the key to fighting the mass misinformation is to . . .well inform them.
nightchild

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In movies they say vampire can turn into a fog or a bat or a wolf.
Some ppl really go up into the movie and start to believe it whilst movies are based upon the folklore and fiction.
To stop the mainstream of misinfromation isn't easy to do so some rather remain ignorand to the facts.
Most of the story's brought are related on Vlad (Stepesh)dracul.
the same for ppl whom are into satanisme ppl have only one view on it and without studyin the truth the misinfromation will continiu.
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why has the subculture chosen a word that has such a strong stigma behind it already? VAMPIRE.

Could it be that during the birth of our subculture the term WAS relavent, and now we've grown and evolved into something else. You think?
Sandy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulSplat wrote:
Why has the subculture chosen a word that has such a strong stigma behind it already? VAMPIRE.

Could it be that during the birth of our subculture the term WAS relavent, and now we've grown and evolved into something else. You think?

Yes.

Words to live by. . ."Love all, trust a few, do harm to none." -- William Shakespeare
nightchild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution doesn't stop here.
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is my belief too. Sometimes I just need others to confirm it.
nightchild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how they see it or believe thing's to go and how they experience the evolutionary ladder.
I wonder what Sandy think's about it all?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: