An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Obstructive sleep apnea and the myth of Ageless Vampires
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prince dax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Obstructive sleep apnea and the myth of Ageless Vampires Reply with quote

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) causes you to stop breathing (apnea) for 10 seconds or longer during sleep. When your breathing stops, you may make grunting, gasping, or snorting sounds and restless body movements. As breathing resumes, loud snoring starts. This may happen many times during a night.

How many times you stop breathing while you sleep determines the severity of sleep apnea.

When you stop breathing, the oxygen levels in your blood go down and carbon dioxide levels go up. This makes your heart and blood vessels work harder and can affect your heart rate and nervous system. This in turn may lead to other problems, including high blood pressure (hypertension) and coronary artery disease (CAD). Sleep apnea can also make these diseases worse and more difficult to treat.

Because sleep apnea disturbs your sleep, it can make you very tired during the day. If you have sleep apnea, you may:

Have a greater-than-average chance of being involved in a car accident.
Perform poorly at school or work and have difficulty concentrating. You also may have memory problems.
Have personality changes, anxiety, and depression.
Lose the desire for sex.

What Increases Your Risk
Certain factors make it more or less likely that you will have obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Some of these you cannot change, while others you can.

Factors you cannot change
Factors that you cannot change and that may make it more likely you will have sleep apnea include:

Aging. Sleep apnea is most common in people age 30 and older.
Male gender. Sleep apnea is more common in men. Some studies have indicated that about 2 to 3 times more men than women have sleep apnea, while sleep laboratories report that 5 or 6 times more men than women have the disease.1
Family history. If other members of your family have sleep apnea, you are more likely to get the disease than someone who does not have a family history of the disease.
Ethnicity. Blacks, Hispanics, and Pacific Islanders have a greater risk of sleep apnea than white people. Blacks get sleep apnea at a younger age than whites.1
Deformities of the spine. Deformities of the spine, such as scoliosis, may interfere with breathing and contribute to sleep apnea.
Conditions that may cause head and face (craniofacial) abnormalities. Conditions such as Marfan's syndrome and Down syndrome may result in craniofacial abnormalities and increase the risk for sleep apnea.
Menopause. Recent studies indicate that sleep apnea occurs more often in women who have been through menopause than in women who have not.1 After menopause, women get sleep apnea at a rate similar to men.2 Experts do not know why or how menopause increases the risk of sleep apnea.
Factors you may be able to change
Factors that you may be able to change that will reduce your chances of having sleep apnea include:

Obesity. About 70% of people who have sleep apnea are obese.1 Obesity is the factor most likely to lead to sleep apnea.
Neck circumference. People who are overweight may have extra tissue around their neck, adding to their risk for sleep apnea. The risk increases for a man whose neck measures more than 17 inches around and for a woman whose neck measures more than 16 inches around.
Enlarged tissues of the nose, mouth, or throat. Enlarged tissues in the nose, mouth, or throat can cause narrowing or blockage of the airway while you sleep, making sleep apnea more likely. Surgery can sometimes correct the blockage and improve sleep apnea.
Bone deformities. Bone deformities of the nose, mouth, or throat can interfere with breathing, causing sleep apnea. Some people who have sleep apnea have a small, receding jaw. Surgery can sometimes correct these deformities and improve sleep apnea.
Use of alcohol or medicine. Drinking alcohol or taking certain medicines, especially sleeping pills or sedatives, before going to sleep can increase the risk for sleep apnea.
Sleeping on your back and using pillows. Sleeping on your back and using one or more pillows may make sleep apnea symptoms worse.
Smoking. Smoking can increase your risk for sleep apnea because the nicotine that is in tobacco relaxes the muscles that keep the airways open.
Poor sleep habits. Going to bed at different times or in different places may increase your risk for sleep apnea.
Disorders of the hormone (endocrine) system. Disorders of the endocrine system (such as hypothyroidism and acromegaly) may increase your risk for sleep apnea.

Ageless Vampires

Unlike Sanguinarians and PSI vampires, ageless vampires do not have a need to feed simply to remain healthy, but to survive.

There seem to be two different "types" of ageless vampires. The first type do not breathe, consume food, have a pulse or heartbeat, or any bodily fluids, other than blood. Most of their internal organs are non-functioning. Upon turning, the blood stream is completely cut off from some organs, cut down on other organs, and increased on the remaining. The organs that no longer have blood circulating through them turn white or grey and decrease in size and mass. Those organs become useless. For the most part, an ageless vampire's body is dead.

These vampires can will themselves to breathe by forcing air in and out of their bodies, and they can also create a pulse, but they have to concentrate to do so.

The second "type" of vampire has a very low heartbeat, much like the heartbeat of someone in a coma, and can breathe without having to concentrate. They can also digest food, although it has no nutritional value for them.

We are unsure as to why some vampires are different to others in this respect, but there are a few theories.

Either there is a) more than one "type" of ageless vampire, or b) they are the same type, but some vampires still have functioning internal organs, due to the fact that they continued to use them to digest food and circulate air through the body after being turned. They don't NEED to eat or breathe to survive, however.

If the second type of vampire stopped eating and breathing, it is likely that the lungs and the organs of their digestive system would shrivel up and become useless, much like the first "type" of vampire.

Strengths

If an ageless vampire breaks a bone, it will heal almost immediately. They are also immune to diseases and viruses such as AIDS and cancer.

Upon turning, the skeletal muscles are enhanced, giving the host a slight increase in strength and a very significant increase in speed. The momentum that derives from speed increases the force inflicted on a target. Therefore, a punch from a vampire would have the equal force of his previous strength, but to an elevated level.

Vampires with non-functioning internal organs do not suffer damage in the same way humans do. For example, if you punched or shot a human in the stomach, they would suffer pain. If you punched or shot a vampire in the stomach, they would not feel pain, as the stomach is non-functional, and damaging it does not affect the vampire.

Weaknesses

Ageless vampires WILL die if exposed to sunlight for too long. Sunlight does not cause vampires to burst into flames immediately, but it does cause them to badly blister and burn, and their bodies to eventually break down.

It is a well known fact that heat and UV light from the sun's rays damages the skin. This happens a lot faster to vampires than it does to humans, however, as the vampire's immune system will attack the cells that have been damaged by the sun, and try to destroy them. The sun's rays will also continue to attack the cells, thus causing the host to be destroyed by the virus, because it thinks it is protecting itself by destroying the damaged cells. However, it is actually destroying the host.

While ageless vampires do not age, they are still capable of death. Most vampires can die from any serious injury, not just from a stake through the heart (that would kill anyone).

While they are immune to diseases and viruses such as AIDS and cancer, they can become carriers of a virus. For example, if a vampire feeds on a person with AIDS, they will not be infected, but they will become a carrier of the virus. Therefore, if they feed on a human and let them live, the human will then be infected with AIDS.

Misconceptions

Ageless vampires are not affected by crosses, holy water, or any other religious symbols, unless they believe it will affect them. The only effect garlic seems to have on vampires is its strong smell, which is increased due to a vampire's heightened senses.

Vampires are not demons, "evil" or cursed by God.

Ageless vampires are not born; they can only be turned by other vampires.

Ageless vampires are not immortal. They do not age, but they are still very capable of death.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a few moths agow I my self found my self suffering from OSA
at first i thought it to be something else i now know what was going on the problem is under controld and slowly going away
my sleeping habits is what led to my case of OSA

I just thought I would share this due to my persional experience with OSA and give a warning as well if you know someone that thinks they might possably be a Ageless Vampire like I was starting to believe don't blow it off they just might have OSA
http://darkprincesnetwork.ning.com/
Merticus
Site Admin & Founding Member

Game Trophies:  1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect if I run across someone who "thinks they may be an ageless vampire" I'm going to laugh, roll my eyes, and walk off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lord_Abdou

Game Trophies:  7
Hall Of Fame Member
View My Character

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Obstructive sleep apnea and the myth of Ageless Vampires Reply with quote

Do u believe Prince dax in ageless vampire ?
nightchild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havn't really met any ageless vampires so far.
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dax--my little dumpling,

What's your correlation between ageless vampires and sleep apnea?

I don't understand.

You may have to be more specific, and state your purpose from the get--go.

First rule to writing anything--never assume your audience knows what you are talking about. Always spell it out. But in my case you may have to beat me in the head with it.

I wish you better nights of sleep. May the sleep fairy be oh-so kind. (And if you see her--send her over to my house--i have a bone to pick with her.)

Words to live by. . ."Love all, trust a few, do harm to none." -- William Shakespeare
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merticus wrote:
With all due respect if I run across someone who "thinks they may be an ageless vampire" I'm going to laugh, roll my eyes, and walk off.

Where are you going? DON"T WALK AWAY FROM ME!!!! LOL.

Words to live by. . ."Love all, trust a few, do harm to none." -- William Shakespeare
prince dax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Dax--my little dumpling,

What's your correlation between ageless vampires and sleep apnea?

I don't understand.

You may have to be more specific, and state your purpose from the get--go.

First rule to writing anything--never assume your audience knows what you are talking about. Always spell it out. But in my case you may have to beat me in the head with it.

I wish you better nights of sleep. May the sleep fairy be oh-so kind. (And if you see her--send her over to my house--i have a bone to pick with her.)

ok sandy a few months ago i started wakeing up and i wasn't breathing and my heart wasn't beathing as well of courst this scared the sh$# out of me i started looking up info and at first all i could come up with was info on ageless vampires so i started thinking what if... fortunatle some one told me about sleep apnea
and i wen to the DR i am getting better and i am nearly over it

the point i was trying to get across is if someone thinks or believe they might be becomeing an agless vampire they just might be mistaken thy might have sleep apnea like i have

does that clear things up?
http://darkprincesnetwork.ning.com/
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dax--glad you are getting better. I'm glad you have a handle on all this.

But no--it only clears up a little bit of the post.

do you know what magical thinking is?

Because i --oh never mind. . .

nightchild

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magickel thinking sandy? please explain?
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightchild wrote:

Let me answer this when I am not pMS-ing and am not in full bitch mode.

When I wrote that --I wasn't being kind--and for that I am sorry, so the explaination will have to come when I'm back to myself again.

however, kind or not--it is what I think. So I am going to wait till I can be more delicate, more tactful--and remember to use the interpersonal skills i know I have.

Of ourse--the comment was not directed to you. And I did not mean it to harm--it has to be said. But I want to say it without bias or emotion.

You rock, so don't mind me. I'll be back in a few days when i can act like a person and not some crazed beast.

Too much info--but I always say what I am thinking--cursed stuff they teach me at school--share, share, wrok through your issues--blah-blah-blah--yakkety--smackety GGGRRR (roar).

That being said--makes for an interesting class room expeirance. Its like watching a real life jerry Springer show--well it is sometimes. LOL.

I won't forget---explaination in a nice and non--bitchy format is coming soon.

I'm not even going to check this for errors--fuck it. LOL.

Be well, Nightchild.

nightchild

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good advice get a punching bag boxers use it aswell
or try taking a cold shower Sandy to cool down.
the rest is blahblahblah.........
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightchild wrote:
Some good advice get a punching bag boxers use it aswell
or try taking a cold shower Sandy to cool down.
the rest is blahblahblah.........

LOL--what I need is about a pound of chocolate, and maybe that punching bag. Maybe some sleep too. And then more chocolate.

nightchild

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well chocolat can make you ease down but its give energy.
A mars bar is the good example they do say that dark chocolat is good for the heart cause it's pure chocolat but then you havn't tasted the Belgian chocolat then........but again it's is a well known aphrodisiac Sandy.
But you should find a some kind of exercise which give you the ideal workout to get some of that negative energy a go on,you will sleep very good afterwards.But i mostly sleep better after having sex not directly cause then i have some energy so now i'm stuck with after 7months of living of nothing and it's damned hard to control the anger,but with my Aikido lessons i'm finding out ways to relax mostly thru music which does make your body beeing able of going into the Alpha state. But sometimes you need to punch someone or something this can't be stopped.
I hope Sandy you can get something out of this? Wink
Maloryn
House Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merticus wrote:

Not me, I'll either be rolling on the ground laughing so hard I cry or running from the crazy psycho that I might have to unload a full mag into. Either way, no walking involved.

"Ageless Vampire", heh.

---Mal
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightchild wrote:

AND

prince dax wrote:

ok sandy a few months ago i started wakeing up and i wasn't breathing and my heart wasn't beathing as well of courst this scared the sh$# out of me i started looking up info and at first all i could come up with was info on ageless vampires so i started thinking what if... fortunatle some one told me about sleep apnea
and i wen to the DR i am getting better and i am nearly over it

the point i was trying to get across is if someone thinks or believe they might be becomeing an agless vampire they just might be mistaken thy might have sleep apnea like i have

does that clear things up?

Magical thinking finds it’s roots in the notion that some things seem to resemble each other, and can be causally connected in some way that just flat out defies any and all scientific testing--this is the Law of Similarity.

Zusne and Jones (1989: 13) has defined magical thinking as "(a) transfer of energy or information between physical systems that may take place solely because of their similarity or contiguity in time and space, or (b) that one's thought, words, or actions can achieve specific physical effects in a manner not governed by the principles of ordinary transmission of energy or information."

The term “magical thinking” is mostly applied to aspects of abnormal behavior. In abnormal psychology it is mostly associated with those who have been diagnosed with a cluster A disorder such as Schizophrenia, Schitzo-effective disorder, schitzo-typical disorder, etc.

I must also mention that this is also seen quite heavily in OCD and OCD like disorders. And this term is also used in Child Psychology to refer to how children view their world.

There are many branches of psychology, and they all use this term to mean the same thing, but each branch puts its own twist on the term. It is a term that is also used in many Anthropological studies, as well. So when reading about “magical thinking” be aware of the context it is used, and which discipline it has been applied to. Further research may be needed.

(It is a very broad term that can be an umbrella to encompass many behaviors abnormal and normal. Provided you know what you are looking for. )

I must say that all people harbor some tendencies toward magical thinking. It is commonly thought that the very make up of our brains is one reason why humans have the propensity to give meaning to coincidences. You see this a lot in Vegas, and sadly here in the vampire community and beyond.

Here's a quote from a noted psychologist on this matter--"'Magical thinking' is the interpretation of two closely occurring events as though one caused the other, without any concern for the causal link. For example, if you believe that crossing your fingers brought you good fortune, you have associated the act of finger-crossing with the subsequent welcome event and imputed a causal link between the two." ( Alcock, 1995)

This principle is exactly why I used the term "magical thinking"

It is absurd to attribute the immortal vampire to a sleep disorder --regardless of whatever search engine you used. So no—the matter is not clear, at all. On a professional or on any other level—it will always seem questionable to me.

If you find anyone who googles sleep apnea and finds that they are faced with articles about “ageless vampires” --which leads them to now believe that they are an "ageless vampire". . .

Well, I really hope that in this case you will do the right thing, and tell them that the two are not connected, nor will they ever be connected. Furthermore, I hope you will urge them to seek psychological counseling, and medical help.

BTW: I know the etiology of Sleep apnea. I had to study it when I was a nursing major, and again for psych, so when I googled some descriptive words (associated with symptomatology) looking for a link between sleep apnea and "ageless vampires" --I found no connection, at all. Perhaps, if, Dax can give me the battery of words he applied in his search--then maybe I will come to a similar conclusion. Until such a time—

If you need more examples then I can cite sources like Jung, Hahnemann, and Stevens (and many, many more.) I don’t mind digging through my old notes, textbooks, and professional journals to help --if need be.

References
Alcock, J. (1995). The Belief Engine, Skeptical Inquirer. 19(3): 255-263.

Zusne, Leonard., and Jones, W. (1989). Anomalistic Psychology: A Study of Magical Thinking (2nd edition).(Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: