Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Dracula's Castle Is for Sale for $78M

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Global Community News & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Game Trophies:  23
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Dracula's Castle Is for Sale for $78M Reply with quote

Dracula's Castle Is for Sale for $78M
By ALISON MUTLER

BUCHAREST, Romania — The Habsburg family said Wednesday that it wanted to sell a Transylvanian castle famous for its connections to the 15th century medieval ruler who inspired "Dracula" for 60 million euros, or $78 million, to the local authorities, an attorney said.

The local council says it is interested in buying Bran Castle, but a government minister criticized the price tag, calling it too expensive.

Dominic Habsburg, the owner, insisted the family had honorable intentions.

"We are trying to find the best way to preserve the castle in the interest of the family and the people of Bran," Habsburg said in a statement made available exclusively to The Associated Press.

The castle was returned to Habsburg, a New York architect, on May 26, decades after it was confiscated by the communists from Habsburg's mother, Princess Ileana, in 1948, the year the royals were forced to leave the country.

After the restitution, concerns were raised that the family could sell castle to a hotel chain and that the site could end up being the centerpiece of a Dracula theme park that would blight the surrounding, pristine countryside.

The castle, perched high on a rock and surrounded by snowcapped mountains in southern Transylvania, is one of Romania's top tourist attractions and is visited by 400,000 people each year.

Faced with the enormous expense of the castle's upkeep, Habsburg said he wanted to place the property in the hands of the local council with an eye toward ensuring its historic character is preserved.

"The family has the country and the people in their heart. We are grateful for the restitution as a moral act to amend injustice," the statement from Habsburg said.

But he added, "The way of life cannot be returned and the restitution has come with financial sacrifice. ... We would like Castle Bran to remain a symbol of everything that is honorable and good in Romania."

The community of Bran, where the fortress was built in the 14th century to help stave off invasion, gave it to Ileana's mother, Queen Marie, in 1920 to thank her for her efforts in unifying the country. It was briefly associated with Prince "Vlad the Impaler," whose cruelty inspired novelist Bram Stoker's creation, the vampire Count Dracula. History says he spent one night there.

In 1938, Ileana inherited the castle, which is located some 105 miles north of Bucharest.

In recent years, the castle — complete with occasional glimpses of bats floating around its ramparts in the twilight — has attracted movie makers as a backdrop for films about Dracula and other spooky themes.

Lia Trandafir, an attorney for Habsburg, said the local authorities are interested in buying it. "They'd like to see it coming back to the community and they consider it a central pillar of tourism in Brasov county," she said.

Aristotel Cancescu, head of the local city council is due to travel to Vienna, Austria, on Monday to open discussions about a bank loan. If he manages to secure a loan, it will need to be approved by local councilors.

Culture Minister Adrian Iorgulescu has criticized the planned purchase of the castle, saying it is too expensive. "I have nothing against the castle being bought by the city council if they are stupid enough to pay this money," he said. He added he believed the castle was worth a fourth of Habsburg's asking price.

LINK TO THE SOURCE:
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/Feature_Stories/Dracula_Castle.html
Merticus
Site Admin & Founding Member

Game Trophies:  1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say the Community gets together a fundraiser to... jk lol
Amber Mallis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merticus wrote:
I say the Community gets together a fundraiser to... jk lol

I know I will pitch in!
xD
nightchild

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the deadline on it?
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no mention of a deadline. This is the first I've heard of it. From our very own local newspaper. I'm curious if anyone in a different geographic location has heard anything about it.
nightchild

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would one do when to have castle?
i can come up with manything's.
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things mentioned was turning it into an amusement park. . .
Yep. . .I don't know about that. . . .
Amber Mallis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm...*gives this a thought.* Rolling Eyes
nightchild

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spill it out Amber what are you thinking about?
An old castle turned into a amusment park where will they put the rollarcoaster?
Amber Mallis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are many ways that you can use the original castle for. Even though I would rather put the rollercoaster in my own backyard. But I'm just thinking of the different ways we can use the castle.
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found any follow up articles on this? I'd be interested to see what happened. How much it went for and to whom.
nightchild

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was briefly something about the castle on the internet maybe there still can be something found on the topic or how far they are with it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Global Community News & Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: