Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Cutting Safety Concerns

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Sang-Vampirism
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Game Trophies:  23
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Cutting Safety Concerns Reply with quote

What follows is a list of safety concerns from a handout I received at a recent cutting seminar. Please do not use this as your only source of education, instead use it as a starting point for your own research before attempting ANY bloodplay!:

I. BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS

The bloodborne pathogens that are of greatest concern are Hepatitis "B" and "C" viruses (HBV and HCV) and Human Immune Deficiency Virus (HIV). Blood contains the highest concentrations of HBV, HCV, and HIV, thus contact with blood poses the highest risk of transmission.

The current known risk for becoming infected with HIV after a precutaneous exposure (needle stick) to blood containing HIV is approximately 0.3% or 1 out of every 300 exposures will result in sero-conversion. The rate for hepatitis B-positive sero-conversion in a nonimmunized host is 6-24% and for exposure to hepatitis C, 1-10%.

II. HEPATITIS B and C

When contracted, hepatitis attacks the liver and can result in lifelong illness. Liver cancer, falure of the liver, permanent scarring of the liver called cirrhosis, and death can occur after a person has become infected with HBV or HCV.

A carrier is an individual who is infected by the virus and has not recovered fully from the infection. They may harbor the virus for the rest of their life without any signs or symptoms of infection. The only way to know if you are infected with HBV or HCV is to get a blood test.

A virus needs a host such as a human to live. Many viruses do not survive long outside the human body. HCV can stay alive in a drop of blood for up to four days. HBV is a rather strong "bug" which can live in a drop of blood for about a week. Hepatitis B and C are easier to acquire than HIV for this reason.

There is an HBV vaccine available. It consists of a series of 3 injections given over a six month time period. It is recommended that all persons involved in or around bloodletting activities get the series.

III. HUMAN IMMUNE DEFICIENCY VIRUS

HIV is the virus that causes Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). It is a rather weak virus compared to HBV, in that it is easily destroyed when outside the human body. HIV is less contagious than HBV or HCV because there are lower concentrations of HIV in a drop of blood. However there is still a serious risk of transmission.

The stage of infection affects the concentrations of the virus in body fluids -- the more advanced the illness, the higher the concentration of the virus.

Currently there is no approved HIV vaccine.

IV. EXPOSURE TO POTENTIALLY INFECTIOUS BODY FLUIDS

Exposure can be defined as an incident when the potentially infectious blood or body fluids of one person come in contact with the blood or body fluids of another.

Potentially Infectious Body Fluids:
(1) Pre-seminal fluid (pre-come) and semen
(2) Blood
(3) Vaginal secretions
(4) Spinal Fluid
(5) Any fluid in which blood can be seen (i.e. bloody saliva after brushing teeth)
(6) Breast Milk
(7) Lymph (a clear fluid that circulates through the lymphatic system and carries white blood cells to healing wounds)

Routes of Infection:
(1) Cuts or sores
(2) Hangnails
(3) Mucous membranes
(4) Needle sticks or scapel cuts

Mucous membranes are those linings or cavities of the human body that are exposed to air, the lining of the digestive tract and mouth, respiratory tract and nose, conjunctiva of the eyes, and the genitourinary tract, including the urethra.

Contact of potentially infectious body fluids with intact skin does not constitute exposure.

V. WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE BEEN EXPOSED

Should an exposure occur, remain calm. If you stick yourself with a needle that has been used on another person or otherwise exposed, immediate treatment is essential.

(1) For exposure as a result of broken skin, clean the exposed area with soap and water. Squeezing blood out of the wound has no added effect.
(2) If exposure is to the mucous membranes, flush the affected area
with water for 15 minutes.
(3) Contact your primary care physician immediatey. If there has been possible exposure to HBV, medical treatment needs to begin within 24 hours. Opinions vary from 30 minutes to 4 hours as to when prophylaxis treatment should begin for possible exposure to HIV.

Exposure to infectious diseases must be taken very seriously -- they can be life-threatening. Get tested for HBV, HCV and HIV for your own sake and for the safety of those with whom you play.

Positive HBV, HCV or HIV status does not preclude bloodplay, so long as standard precautions are taken. Be open to your play partners concerning your medical status. It is inexcusable to have an infectious disease and not tell your partner about it.

VI. CUTTING AFTERCARE

If a wound is going to become infected, it will usually happen within the first 24 to 72 hours. This statistic is derived from infections arising from open wound trauma that required closure. Infection rates for a "clean wound," like the ones created from operating on intact skin and no internal organs are entered is 2.5%. These rates are compiled from surgical incisions and not tiny holes from a needle or staple. What you are doing is suturing and stapling normal healthy tissue.

Preventing infection:
(1) Clean the area twice a day with a mixture of equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water, and clean gauze (it is not necessary to use sterile gauze).
(2) If desired, and if there is no allergy, apply Neosporin to the area one to three times a day.

Signs and Symptoms of Infection:
(1) Slight redness around the insertion site is normal, but redness should not spread beyond beyond the site. Red streaking leading away from the wound is a definite sign of infection.
(2) Pain and tenderness and mild bruising is normal, but pain and swelling should be greatest during the second day and should then diminish.
(3) Increased redness or warmth.
(4) Any drainage from the site.
(5) Any fever above 100.4°F.
Kiera
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a VERY good guide. Kudos to Soulsplat for posting this.

As a Health Care Provider and a Certified Phlebotomist... I work with blood and needles on a constant basis and attend Blood Borne pathogen courses yearly for my certification. This is an excellent guide to the Do's and Don't of Bloodplay.

I should also mention that it is very important that if you are going to engage in Bloodplay either as a Sang vampire or as a Blood Fetishist, you should always have your potential Donor medically screened BEFORE beginning blood play with them.

These are the most important blood screening tests to be done on a potential donor. These can be requested from any lab or doctor's office. If you ever need an excuse as to why you are asking for this specific blood work, you can tell them your University requires it, because many do require these tests for admission to medical programs. My Nursing program required all these upon admission.

A full Hepatitis panel: This will test for exposure to Hep A, B and C.

A Syphyllis RPR: This will test for syphyllis exposure which can lie dormant in the body.

An HIV test: Preferably a PCR test, because HIV can lie dormant in the body for so long, this test can isolate HIV infection sooner and with greater accuracy than a standard test.

A CBC (Complete Blood Count) is also good because it gives so much information of what is going on with a person's immune sytem and general health.

Kiera
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

Now, if we can get our own lab to check results for us we will be set.
Xaphaniel

Game Trophies:  5
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys thanks for that list Soulsplat is always good to keep up to date with these things and its also good to get a decent article on it

on that note would it be ok if i Copied it for other forums i will give you full credit for all thats posted

Xaph
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This info came from Fifth Angel who provided this info for a Whippersnappers "Cutting Class". As long as you give credit, I'm sure its ok.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Sang-Vampirism All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: