Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Human potential

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did aliens build the pyramids?
Yes, it was the Nuwaubian lizard men.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Yes, it was those parasite-things from Stargate.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Dunno who it was, but I know ancient humans didn't have the technology to do it, because I don't understand the geometry they used.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Naw, if the aliens got thrashed by Preadator then how could they have built the pyramids? It was definitely gnomes.
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

zero
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Human potential Reply with quote

OK, with the Indigo stuff floating around, I was wondering - the particular mythology of the Indigo Children thing basically says that Indigos and Crystals are not human spirits - that they have never incarnated on Earth as humans before.

I've said in another thread that I find many New Age beliefs, this one included, to be essentially anti-human at their core.

We all know what we can't stand about humanity. But keeping in mind that humans at various points in time invented and developed shamanism, math, magick, writing, ethics, utopian science fiction, their relationship with the natural world, mad martial arts skills, comic books, and microwave ovens, do these theories really hold up to analysis?

Did aliens give us all our cool ancient relics? Do those who teach us how to be better people HAVE to not be humans, deep down inside? Don't humans display that potential?

In my perception, "different" doesn't ever carry a value judgment - "different" isn't good or bad, just different. It seems to be a popular thing lately to label different things as positive or negative. When it comes to Otherkin, Vampires, Indigos, Weres, or whatever, where does that land Humans? If we're different-better, then they're same-old-bad. That theory sucks. This is my main beef with the Indigo theory, besides the fact that it's totally unprovable. Smile

So, what do we, with our outside perspective on humanity, think of this? Do they really require nonhumans to teach them how to be humans better? Or is it just a matter of living up to the potential of their better natures?
TheWisp

Game Trophies:  1
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a relatively decent mathematician, I can say that human ingenuity is almost terrifyingly fertile and complex. I have seen some proofs that span two or three disciplines, rising, seemingly inexplicably, miles into the sky and so far away from their original topic that one is sure the author has gone mad. Then, they leisurely float back down through the clouds like feathers and land, perfectly, on a dime.

Half the time, the proof is complete before the reader realizes it. I've seen someone fold his papers, leave the podium, and sit down. A few seconds later, people in the crowd start gasping and clapping.

And aliens had nothing to do with them. *shrugs* Ramanujan may attribute some of his brilliancies to his Goddess and who knows what John Nash is thinking, but the vast majority of mathematicians get that sorta smug grin and do the happy dance when they pull off something like that.

We can and have done some bloody amazing things on paper. It's only because people don't understand the implications of some of these things that they look down on us as a whole species and think we had to have been helped. We're not the end-all-be-all of existence, but we've only seen a little bit of what our brains can do, but even that's been mind-blowing.
cathmael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnomes rock
Maloryn
House Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cathmael wrote:
Gnomes rock

Nice pun.
Now I just have to wonder if I should be worried that I got it...

Ehran V
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood why people think something isn't possible simply because they themselves cannot understand it. It's quite narcisstic to think that because you can't do it, that it can't be done.

That being said, there are alot of things that seem impossible that are being done everyday.

I'm not math genius, but that was never my strong point...
zero
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisp : I agree wholeheartedly. For me, it's the discipline of anthropology, not mathematics, that tipped me off that humans were not only more than capable of every cool thing that archaeology can dig up, they were more capable and skilled the "lower" the level of tech. I've seen stone-age technology that implements force vector principles that most modern folks don't understand after a semester or two of college physics.

-z
figment

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch "Doctor Who" (BBC cult television show) and you'll find a newfound pride in your species.

And guess what? Every were is human also. Sorry to break it to you. Love yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zero
Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figment wrote:
And guess what? Every were is human also. Sorry to break it to you. Love yourself.

that's sort of what this thread is making fun of. Besides the were thing; our annoyance isn't were or vamp specific. It's that theories like the Indigo Children thing, or the "aliens built stuff" theories, are inherently anti-human, and it appears that many people here agree that we, being both members of and observers of humanity, don't have to come up with wild theories about how extraordinary people must have been aliens or something more "highly" evolved. Why not just give humanity the credit for the good stuff as well as the bad?

the point being, we LIKE the cool stuff humans do, and dislike popular theories that attribute every burst of creativity or cultural achievement to some other species.
figment

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Doctor Who, it takes an alien to point out our coolness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
zero
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figment wrote:
In Doctor Who, it takes an alien to point out our coolness.

And isn't that sort of what this thread is about? Humans keep coming up with these theories that members of their own group who are interesting, cool and extraordinary must necessarily be something other than human. Famous ancient heroes were part god, aliens had to build the pyramids, European folklore throughout history called Neolithic artifacts "Faery stones," and now, we have Indigo Children as a catch-all category for any human being that can think for himself.

It seems that the coolness potential of humanity is better appreciated by those with an outsider perspective. See, they NEED us to tell them that they don't always suck.. Or to tell them how not to suck so bad. Or something.

Conclusions:

So does that make us all Doctor Who? Or does that make Doctor Who a vampire? I think that everything else aside, we can definitely say that Doctor Who and the Vampire Community are MORE positive about humanity than hippies are. IN YOUR FACE, hippies!
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, I was thinking of becoming a hippy.. Can hippies wear black?
figment

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BDSM OFF TOPIC
OMG SO LIKE I TOTALLY HEARD THE MOST HIPPY CONVERSATION IN THE WORLD!
At the buddhist center the other day, our teacher forgot to come to class ( -_-' ) so while we were waiting for him on the bench three of the ladies were talking about the hardest wheatgrass shot they had. So I kinda stared at them. And so I'm thinking... dude, I'm never gonna drink alcohol (took a vow) but I should try drinking something hard so I can be all like "Sure you can drink Vodka straight, but can you drink THIS!" So we all went to Whole Foods down the street and then went to one of their apartments and... do you know what wheatgrass is? It's literally really clean... grass. In a blender. With like... pineapple juice. Like the whole room totally started smelling of cut grass. And everyone got a shot glass of it and I was like... no way am I drinking a shot class of wheatgrass.

...Like, totally. But world peace and everything.

OFF TOPIC

ON TOPIC JUST SO I'M ALLOWED TO POST THE OFF TOPIC

Yeah like... humanty rocks. Yo.
immortalglitch

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's the trick as I understand it (as an otherkin and a vampire). I believe that no mater what your soul is made of you are still biologically human (with some slight dilutions). The theories behind people like me existing, or Crystals, or Indigo children, its not that they are better than us or worse than us, it all balances out in the end. On top of that these non-human souls are by and large out to give humanity the leg up to that next stage in our collective path. Seldom will you find a non-human soul out to get the humans. For one until said time when non-human sentient beings can gate into the physical or be born through some other means, those non-humans are still stuck in human bodies and though they loath them (as we all sometimes do) they cannot help but appreciated the beauty of them, physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally.

So don't see it as an us against them because that only breeds hate, in the end we all balance out to be equal, no matter how you look at it.

Sorry if I rambled just there, I only woke up a short while ago.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: