An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

A question for Christians...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Christianity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: A question for Christians... Reply with quote

Does it bother you that some of the books of the bible and other pertinent information was left out of the version that is so commonly read?

I am not sure what all it is that was left out, but I watched a tv show the other day on History talking about it. I can't remember what was left out, but whatever it was has some people upset.

The Dead Sea Scroll, if I am not mistaken, have information about it. Does anyone else know exactly what all it is that is missing from the Bible?
Merticus
Site Admin & Founding Member

Game Trophies:  1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main 66 books aren't enough...? The Apocrypha is a good start along with the other gospel - St. Peter and the left out books of Tobit, Judith, Baruch, Wisdom of Solomon, Sirach, 1 & 2 Maccabees and other controversial ones.. but in short yes it bothers me.
Merticus
Site Admin & Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I saw the Dead Sea Scrolls (the very few they had on exhibit) in Mobile a while back... very interesting... though if you could view such without having hundreds of people around you... would have been more so.
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know where to find the missing books of the bible online so that I can read what all was left out?
siege

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people believe there were books written by women that were left out simply because they were written by women.
Emerald

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it bothers me that they were left out, but if you research it enough you will find them, just like anything elese. I do know for sure that one of them were the gospels of mary madgilan.. Pardon the spelling on that one guys, Wink And you can find that book at Borders...
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is this... How can you trust in a relgion that has part of it missing or hidden from you? Doesn't it seem odd to put faith into those who try to decieve you?
Emerald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get down to the fine line all things in life are missing parts. All things are missing answers. The books that are not in the bible I can not answer for. All the books in the bible carry a very similiar message. The books that were not added were not a very inspired Word from God, this text was around from the beginning of time. There are millions of writtings, only 66 books were chosen because they were ancient threads,basically universal truth.
cathmael

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: apocrypha, et al Reply with quote

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/

That's a good start for anyone interested in the omitted books. I don't view the books as missing, but rather deleted from the current version. I used to have a better selection of reading material, but I tend to read stuff and not keep my references.

I've also been keeping an ear on Rome lately and the changes in the doctrine that are coming out now.
TheWisp

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone else know exactly what all it is that is missing from the Bible?

A heck of a lot, even before the Catholic Apocrypha. Ok... well, I won't say missing because it includes what the modern orthodox churches acknowledge as holy writ. But, what it doesn't tell you is that they weren't the only Christians for all of history. There were a lot of beliefs over time that got marginalized.

So... missing? Nah. It's their Bible they can include what they believe. I mean, if they consider it wrong, I wouldn't say it's missing if it's not there. But it's definitely omitting a full description of the history of their faith and all the ideas it has competed with. Through a careful sin of omission, they make it appear that theirs were the only opinions.

You could get a list of books and flip through those, but the best way is to read a book on Christian history. Not only do you get the information on what's left out, you get to understand the juicy reasons.

The most interesting omissions to me have been the Christian gnostic texts. Gnosticism existed for a while before Christianity, even if it wasn't called that, and infiltrated the congregations pretty early. They had their texts, groups, and called themselves the true Christians and believed they knew the secret teachings of Jesus. This pissed off the orthodox, so they started the creeds.

Unfortunately, a Gnostic could say that they believed that Jesus was God. (Of course, the Gnostic thought, we've got a little bit of divinity in all of us, so Jesus wasn't the only one of us who is God.) A Gnostic could acknowledge that YHWH created the universe. (Of course, the Gnostic thought, YHWH's just an evil, ignorant tool. We know the real God.) A Gnostic could say that Jesus was crucified, buried, rose, etc.

Everything they put into the Creeds, the Gnostic could recite with a straight face, because they knew a hidden meaning of the words. The creeds got more and more complex to root out the Gnostics and the other heretical groups that arose. Some of the Christian scriptures were specifically written against the Gnostics or antinomians - it was literally anti-Gnostic propaganda. Some of the Gnostic literature was the same.

Propaganda in holy literature... inspired by God my !#@. Of course, you know the rest of the story. The orthodoxy won.

Anyway... Elaine Pagels is a good, cheap, modern resource for the history of the Gnostic gospels. The "Gospel of Thomas" is a good place to start if you want to read an actual text. It's short, sweet, and sometimes beautiful. My only caveat is that some of the sayings rely on an understanding of their philosophy and are so dense or obscure that it's really not worth digging into them unless you want to convert.

Sayings 3 and 77 became popular through of the movie "Stigmata." Please, please, please remember that they like to use coded imagery, so when you get to that inevitable saying 114 about Mary, don't get too angry without discussing it with somebody that's studied it. Very Happy While they weren't completely enlightened about sexism, it's not half as bad as it sounds.

The "Exegesis of the Soul" is one of the more beautiful pieces of spiritual literature I've found. Again, it's sexist in the same way as the Gospel of Thomas, but it hit me hard.
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that movie! I've always been drawn to movies about religious based phenomenas.. if that is what would call them. Possessions, stigmatas, etc always seem to be able to keep my attention.
cathmael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, considering that there were, what, six or so hebrew sects in the Jerusalem area, and they all contributed to the original christian church. Then along came this Saul guy, who romanized it and used the roman holidays to tie it in. Then an emperor oversaw the assemblage of the original bible.....

Yeah, they are missing chunks, some we'll never know about.

But you can't know everything...just part of it.
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to read the missing stuff... Any one know where I can find it onlnine. Please point me in the rigth direction.. Thanks.
figment

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second... my view just changed... two seconds ago.

Why is it... "missing"

All the Bible is, basically, is accounts from other people's views of Jesus Christ. Christians believe these accounts are divinely inspired.

Whoa man....
a) 66 to start with is a lot of people for God to inspire
b) the rest added on is also a lot more.
c) I'm guessing there's even... more...

A lot of people saw Jesus. (let's play christian) I'd say God wants to help us go to heaven thus help us believe the message of Christ, so anyone who saw Jesus, God would want to help nudge that person (while respecting free will) to spread the good word.

Hmm. So that's a LOT that can be included. In the Bible there's letters... what about letters by other people that were divinely inspired that we don't know are divinely inspired?

Thus, how can we judge what is missing or not?

Thus, we just have to formulate what is our own personal "Bible" (like those peeps way back when did) and go with it, keeping a personal relationship with God tomake sure our Bible is correct.

Of course, that's only if you're Protestant. This all gets thrown out the window if your Catholic. Not that I don't like Catholics, I go to catholic church (and get weird looks from the priest 'cause he's amazed I keep coming back) but if you're Catholic you should be getting your Bible stuffs from the Church. Duh! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, another thing is that when you translate somethings, they aren't exact... or they lose some of the meaning. Because some languages just don't have the same words, etc. And then you have to take into consideration who is transating, etc.. So, I think the overall story is probably mostly right, but who knows?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Christianity All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: