Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

This is a bit of a rant...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Christianity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siege

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: This is a bit of a rant... Reply with quote

...but why--in some cases--is Christianity synonymous with ignorance and intolerance?

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER understand why the theory of evolution is still being debated in the year TWO THOUSAND FIVE. Any religion that requires that I turn my back on all scientifically PROVEN theories--not to mention common sense--is not the religion for me. I actually had a Morman friend admit that she believed in evolution for " animals" but not humans. When I asked her to scientifically explain the distinction, naturally she could not. And when I asked her the purpose of the UNIVERSE (sense clearly the only life anywhere is on Earth because that's what the bible says *rolls eyes*) she just stared at me blankly. Does one have to be ignorant (as in IGNORING the elementary truths of the world) to be religious?

And I never watch the news (I know, shame on me), so I'm probably a little slow on reacting to this but WHAT IS THE BIG FREAKING DEAL about replacing Merry Christmas with Happy Holidays or something similar? Everyone in this country is NOT Christian, and not everyone in this country celebrates X-mas. Is it so wrong to NOT want to exclude anyone simply because they don't celebrate Christmas????? Some backlash to this is to be expected, because who isn't irritated by over the top political correctness. However, I think this is just common courtesy--treat others as you want to be treated. What if you were the only Christian in a non-X-mas celebrating community. You wouldn't want to be excluded just because you put up an X-mas tree, would you? I cannot believe that there are actually campaigns to boycott businesses who don't mention Christmas in their holiday advertisements. Has the religious right in this country really gotten THAT out of hand?
cathmael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - the competing theory to Evolution, has been a mainstay for, oh, over four thousand years.

Darwin lived in the last 200 - they had a headstart in gaining a foothold.
siege

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but think of all of the other theories that have been overturned due to discoveries made in the last 200 years. Furthermore, how many 4000+ year old theories still hold up today?
cathmael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the other theories were not taught as fact each Sunday AM to millions of people nationwide.

People get cranky when their beliefs are threatened.

Also, try to remember that the US was settled by the crazed fundamentalists that were persecuted and/or kicked out of europe for clinging blindly to their faiths and
taking everything in the bible as literal fact.
siege

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, try to remember that the US was settled by the crazed fundamentalists that were persecuted and/or kicked out of europe for clinging blindly to their faiths and taking everything in the bible as literal fact.

I hadn't thought about it like that. Good point. That puts a LOT of things into an entirely different, and intriguing, perspective for me.
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has something to do with the "Keep Christ in Christmas" thing.. and also maybe to be more "politically correct" .. or so I understand..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Christianity All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: