Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Who's buried in the Tomb of St. Peter?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Christianity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Game Trophies:  23
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Who's buried in the Tomb of St. Peter? Reply with quote

This weekend I checked out a documentary on netflix. It focused on the Vatican and outlined specifics between the fiction within Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons" and how the historical facts actually played out. The link to the vid on netflix's follows.

One thing really stuck out for me. Its always been believed that the Vatican's basilica was built over the tomb of St. Peter. But in this documentary, controversy concerning the tomb's contents was highlighted. My purpose for posting this is to hopefully collect more info or at least be pointed in the right direction for details on the topic. As you read on, please be thinking of other sources that might interest me. And if you've heard of this or other versions of it, please post.

According to this documentary, Pope Pius the twelfth secretly performed excavations beneath the Vatican during WWII. These excavations unearthed engravings that said "Peter is here." (or the equivalent translation). But when the tomb was opened, there was nothing in there. Next, the church (I'm not sure how much time passed after the excavation) brought in another expert, who "produced" bones of a 60 year old man. The church claimed the bones of St. Peter had been found. Yet, when the bones were examined further (again I'm not sure about how much time passed) it was discovered the bones were a collection of bones from a mouse, a chicken, a horse, and even a boy. Then, in the 1960's, Paul the Sixth released a statement that the bones in the tomb were indeed the bones of St. Peter.

What follows is a statement from one of the scholars interviewed. I transcripted it the best I could but please go to the vid for the actual statement. "The current position today is interesting because if you go to the site they don't say that the bones are there but they don't say that they aren't there either. They've just totally finessed it."

If your interested in history of the church I'd recommend checking this DVD out.

link: http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70039261&trkid=189530&strkid=62587835_0_0
nightchild

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if the bones are from St.Peter wouldn't they have become dust for all i know this person lived during the Roman empire.
There is a story about jesus grave then the next day he got laid in down in a tomb a roman guard was protecting for intruders.
The body was gone and so was the soldier.
It would not be the first time something was found incomplete and somethings remain hidden.And the vatican is known to not telling everything some of it they will keep for themselves.
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightchild wrote:
But if the bones are from St.Peter wouldn't they have become dust for all i know this person lived during the Roman empire.
There is a story about jesus grave then the next day he got laid in down in a tomb a roman guard was protecting for intruders.
The body was gone and so was the soldier.
It would not be the first time something was found incomplete and somethings remain hidden.And the vatican is known to not telling everything some of it they will keep for themselves.

Yes I think I've heard the story of this guy jesus. Smile But if one documentary mentioned this St. Peter story, surely there must be other instances. I'm interested in locating other instances and comparing them.

As for your question about dust, its a good question. I suppose we would need a taphonomist. Or perhaps a good taphonomist site that references the rates at which bones decompose.

The following quote from
http://www.anthro4n6.net/forensics/
discusses how bones do not decay like skin and variables that might affect it.

"Estimating Time of Death
The first question to be asked and probably the most difficult to answer is "how long has it been dead?" Bones do not decay as skin and soft tissue do, but they are subject to weathering and scatter (taphonomy). Animal scattering of bones can destroy the context of the crime scene and gnaw marks destroy actual bone. If a body is buried, insects canot get at it, but micro-organisms can. The acidity of soil will have an effect on bone.

Condition of bone depends on the type of burial or exposure along with temperature. The "Body Farm" at the University of TN at Knoxville is a research facility dedicated to the estimation of time of death. Bodies are in all stages of decay and students and faculty meticulously record animal activity, smells, body temperatures, weather conditions. Early into the decay process, a fair amount of skin and soft tissue remain and smells are at their worst. A partial skeletalized body is one in which the bones are still articulated by cartilage and ligaments.

When a body is left on the surface, insect activity will begin immediately and within 2 weeks the body will be partially skeletalized, completely skeletalized within 8 months. If buried, it will take between 1 and 2 years to become completely skeletalized and in arid areas may become mummified.

Bone rot takes many years, and acidity in the soil speeds it up. Scatter is important to the Forensic Anthropologist in estimating time of death/burial. The number and types of bones available at the scene indicates the amount of time the body has been in that spot, i.e. smaller bones get lost first. "
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I can control myself now.

I just have to say, bear with me---I love the people on this board. Ab-fab witty and smart, to boot.

I heard that, Ron Howard plans to bring Angels & Demons to the silver screen.

Anyway, I've read his books, and would be interested in viewing this documentary (thanks for the link).

Angels and Demons was a great read. (blah--blah, Sandy's book review).

Truthfully, I have no ideas to provide, but I do share your interest. Very Happy I will consider it, and post any ideas that I have at a later date.

Sorry, that I wasn't much help, but I enjoyed the info, so thanks.

Words to live by. . ."Love all, trust a few, do harm to none." -- William Shakespeare
nightchild

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv'e heard about demons & angels i didn't read the book yet but wonder how it would look on the big screen.Will it be the same as with the Da Vinci Code or not.
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Back to topic. Does anyone know what a taphonomist is? Even better if you know one. Ask them if its possible for human bones to turn to dust. Of course I'll be researching in the mean time.
cathmael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the "Christ's tomb" documentary - they show a tomb which bears the actual name of St Peter - In hebrew. In israel.
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hey. Right on. "Christ's tomb" documentary. Got it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Christianity All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: