An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Why do ppl take movies so serious?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Therianthropy & Were
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Why do ppl take movies so serious? Reply with quote

As we all know several movies have come out highlighting a rift between vamps and weres. I wonder why some ppl actually buy into that.

Is there really some kind of bad blood that I am not aware of?
RevDevon
Associate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good point ...always wondered that myself , seems if they see it or read it they think it is gospel .... there is no rift that i'm aware of and as Chele knows my mate of over 6 yrs is otherkin (were) and we have a great relationship despite the age range ...I'm 45 she is 24
UCV ,Dracorian 4th Chair House of Ma’at , Senior Honor Elder
Pranism Society, Elder/Admin Ordained Minister, U.L.C./Orderae Occultis/S.H.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev I was aware that Wendy is were. Do you think she might have some good definative articles that we could use?
zero
Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: It's WhiteWolf's Fault Reply with quote

Whitewolf invented this idea that werewolves and vampires are "natural enemies" or some crap. The movie Underworld "borrowed" that idea, and dodged a resulting WW lawsuit .

Dracula and Lon Chaney's WolfMan are the modern analogue of this relationship before Whitewolf, and there really wasn't much of a connection between them, positive or negative. Dracula certainly didn't think of the WolfMan as his enemy most of the time.

Before that, in the roots of the Eastern European folklore and back even further to the ancient Greek lore, "vampires" and "werewolves" get very close indeed. In fact, Jan Perkowski in "The Darkling; a Treatise on Slavic Vampirism" devotes several pages to explaining the muddy etymology of the Greek word for vampire, "vrykolakas," which appears to mean "wearing a wolf skin." (He eventually concludes that the Vrykolakas was actually a different creature from a vampire at one point, but that the words got conflated over time) He also notes that the medieval Romanian lore suggests that if someone is a werewolf in life, he becomes a vampire after death.

In post-Internet times, vampires and weres take one of two paths; the ignorant n00bs decide that White Wolf and Underworld are all that matters, and decide to perpetuate a feud which never existed. The wiser of us just got together and started talking. If anyone remembers Pathway to Darkness, message boards being active around 2000-2003, that board brought out a lot of productive discussion between weres and vampires.

The similarities in personal experience between weres and vampires are unusual - forum participants reported similar Awakening experiences, similar empathy and psychic experiences, and similar experiences with the "standard" 5 senses, especially in the areas of heightened smell, above-average hearing range and sensitivity of skin to chemicals, perfunes and other irritants.

A few weres concluded (perhaps prematurely) that weres and vampries must actually be the SAME CREATURE and we just didn't know it. I don't agree, but that's how little the differences seemed to matter when we started adding up the similarities.

I'll see if I can't dig up any were-vamp dialogue from the old Pathway boards and re-post. It's pretty interesting.

-z
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound pretty interesting, tho I don't know enough about weres to really have any opinion on whether they are same or not.

So, does this mean that weres basically have a need to take energy as we do? Is this why they said that?
cathmael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, it's been a recurring theme - but I know it hails as far back as the early movies where the wolfman and Dracula went at it. (I mean, who didn't Dracula
fight?) I think that early movies set at least part of the stage for the werewolf/
vampire enmity.

White Wolf often regurgitates other people's themes and work as their own backgrounds (sometimes they even get it right, but not often).

Which also makes it impossible to google the topic with all the WOD sites out there....
cathmael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh,, I've also been accused of being a were in the past myself....I don't THINK that I am Very Happy
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya ever notice after the release of a new vamp or were movie that vamp sites get a lot more hits?
Crypticsphere

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the media helps us hehe.

There is always a surge of people during a movie, or a vampire running for president.

Cryptic
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that guy is insane. They said he went to jail for stalking and evading capture... LOL.

How elusive.
zero
Founding Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Vampire running for governor? Reply with quote

I thought that guy was a kiddie-Satanist who just picked "Vlad" as a spoooky sounding name. We used to make fun of guys like him at the Rennaisance Faire.

-z

mmm... corn on a stick...
sethnunmin
House Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Weres vs Vamps Reply with quote

After many lengthy discussions about our natures, Lady Andarael and I have concluded that weres and vamps differ primarily in feeding habits.

While vamps tend to have a constant need for energy and therefore tend to feed more often, weres exhibit a cyclical need which most often fluctuates with the waxing and waning moons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cathmael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Weres vs Vamps Reply with quote

You may want to stop sheddin on the furniture....that might help. Wink

I don't feed per 'se but my energy levels tend to follow the moon. I ramp up and down also by my emotions and other factors, but the moon is a big one.

I also have some wolf affinity, including some days that I feel that if I can just figure out where to put the energy, I could change....
UTAHVAMP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A most interesting topic indeed. You know the moons cycles often affect humans also. It is most often noted in children. As the moon becomes more apparent in the night sky children often become more restless and wiggly. I have noticed doing security that typically when we get the odd balls out it is around the fool moon. It s pretty interesting the effect the moon has on everyone. I know I feel livelier when the moon is full in the sky, I love it. However I am no where near were. Gravity is a most interesting force. I have a dear friend who is wolf kin, she is most interesting when the moon becomes fuller. I know she is still struggling to understand herself, but she is a most admirable and true friend. I have nothing but respect for those of wolf kin. I believe the wolf in them makes them a most admirable breed indeed.
nightchild

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ppl always fear what they don't understand and start to hate it and create story's to avoid the truth but Hollywood makes alot of money with these movies and everybody has seen them.
Fullmoons only at the beginning of the month there was a full moon and a lunareclips it was on the 3de of the month on a Saterday.
It would be very difficult to make a movie which tells the tales after that ppl are used of watching movies like underworld or dracula or the werewolf movies. the truth is far more stranger then fiction.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Therianthropy & Were All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: