Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Possible Definition of contemporary vampirism. Agree or Dis?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Game Trophies:  23
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually maybe it was Hollywood that first "rebranded" the word from literature. And before that it was the authors who built upon an even older idea.

Do you believe the current movement to reference the vampire's preliterature and prehollywood beginings? Or do you believe it to be something new?
Maloryn
House Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think blood is very relevant to real vampires, whatever they wish to be called and however you'd like to spell it. With the relevance of blood and the natural inclination to seek comparisons and metaphors in the human psyche it is only natural for the term "vampire" to come into use for those who draw energy needed to maintain their homeostasis from other humans as "Vampires".

Keep in mind that "Hollywood vampires" are an amalgamation of various other myths and legends taken not only by Mr. Stoker but others who have later built upon his work.
Zero can likely schpeel on this far more effectively than I, but it is worth mentioning, even in passing.

Should we continue to use the term "vampire"? If we were to change, then others would ask "what does that mean?" and we'd eventually have to compare it to vampirism anyway, so why not just keep it as is? In addition, I'm sure any other term we adopted would quickly be ripped off for fiction anyway - returning us to square one.

---Mal
nightchild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some see vampirism as the dark desire which live in everyone.
Bloodlust can be found in many cultures but energy workers are for that diffirent.Bram stoker based the story's upon Vlad(stepesh)dracul and his blood lust.
Lilith is an older story as seen as the 1st vampire ever and the 1st wife of Adam before Eve. So there is a darkside in everybody and Lilith stands for this what is repressed.
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Game Trophies:  23
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal and Night,

Great views. I like that they are both "all encompassing" perspectives, which account for everything we see now a days.

People playing dress up.
Sang's and Psi's
Varying religious backgrounds.

I think we've determined the term "vampire" is still relavent.

What is the one thing that ties all of us together?

Is there something?

If bloodlust can equal this "dark desire" (for lack of a better word), is it really this desire which binds us together?

If so, what is the difference between vampires and goths?
nightchild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the goth community many dressing up as vampires and act like vampires(role playing).Vampires itself don't always dress black most of the times they were just jeans and shirt.On the website of the vampire nation is said the diffirence between roll playing and beeing is how the words is written the word vampire as is written is vampyre instead of vampire just a diffirence with one letter.
What makes vampires diffirent is the lifeforce which flows thru everyone and vampire need to survive this is tie that binds all vampire together the blood is synomenous for life but necessarly the main drive within the blood flows the energy.
This is what is believed by those of more the spiritual side of vampires.But how other see it.........?
RedRaven
House Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was contacted recently by a possibly awakening vamp who was totally lost on what was fact and what wasn't. She asked me some very good questions, and then some that just made me sad, such as whether or not we can reproduce, fly, go out in the sun, and even whether or not all vamps are bi. I think I set her straight (no pun intended) on a lot of it, but she still has tons of questions.

It just makes you wince at that horrible mix between pop culture and reality.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: