Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Lyricalmancy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Energetic / Magick / Occult Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kotori_Distari

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Lyricalmancy Reply with quote

Not sure if there is such a term but something of a term coined from the concept of stichomancy. The thought came to mind one day as I was pondering about why I always found random answer from music -- either by turning on the radio or setting my iTunes playlist on random.

Stichomancy
\Stich"o*man`cy\, n.
Divination by lines, or passages of books, taken at hazard.

As noted above...stichomancy is divination by random lines from books. So...I had wondered this aloud to a friend in casual offhanded conversation why I felt like music tended to direct my thoughts or give me clues or answers to something currently on my mind. They'd mentioned it sounded just like stichomancy only a lyrical or muscial version. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed something like that along the lines -- odd songs that play at random and nudge your thoughts to an answer or clue it in to eventually coming up with answer. Any thoughts? Ideas?
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music is my muse. One song can illicit a whole idea for me.

Music has often helped me plot story lines, etc.

In fact, if there is a certain scene that I am writing--I often play the song that inspired me to write it over and over until it is finished.

Each section, each character has it's own song.

There have been studies that have used classical music to aid in relaxation and even increase school grades.

In fact, every time I listen to the remake Johnny Cash did of Hurt it never fails to make me cry. No shit, I blubber and wail like a 2 year old in a candy store.

Needless to say, I only listen to that song when I must illicit that particular response.

If I am having trouble concentrating--I turn on my headphones to full throttle to blast out the offending distraction.

Here's a real compliment for you--I never really talk about my writing with those who I feel will have trouble understanding my feelings in regard to it. The fact that I have mentioned it so often is very strange.

It's weird that I can sense that you may understand what I mean---ya know, LOL.

Here I go again-- getting all fruity tooty on you.

So hey-dance around, shake that booty-- do something off the wall and fabulous.

So yeah--music= constant epiphanies.

Words to live by. . ."Love all, trust a few, do harm to none." -- William Shakespeare
Kotori_Distari

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Now I really need to catnap you... Reply with quote

*chuckles* I find I use music in a similar way to help me write when I'm in the mood to write a story. I find myself fitting pieces of music to scenes, characters and settings. You should hop over and try out some of the writing challenges that go on the LH board...it's fun and good practice. But now I'm getting off onto a side tangent for me in this topic here.

Aside for using music to help you in writing, have you ever found yourself being exposed to music that just helped you come to an answer with a problem in your life? Like sometimes how the lyrics of a particular song you're not exactly paying attention to will just jump out at you and nudge the answer on how to resolve a matter to mind? I know I've had it happen with me on several occasions. I'll be driving down the road and then a song on the radio will start playing...for the most part it'll be background music to me until just one particular lyrical phrase pokes out to my mind. Most times it brings up the thoughts that give me an answer to my dilemma at the time. It's kinda odd...and never really had much of a name for it other than what I stated earlier. Ever had anything along those lines happen to you before?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Energetic / Magick / Occult Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: