Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Bible Classes In Public School?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Christianity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merticus
Site Admin & Founding Member

Game Trophies:  1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Bible Classes In Public School? Reply with quote

Georgia Moves Closer on School Bible Classes
By DOUG GROSS
AP

ATLANTA (March 9) - Georgia is poised to introduce two literature classes on the Bible in public schools next year, a move analysts say would make the state the first to take an explicit stance endorsing - and funding - biblical teachings. The Bible already is incorporated into some classes in Georgia and other states, but some critics say the board's move, which makes the Bible the classes' main text, treads into dangerous turf.

On a list of classes approved Thursday by the Georgia Board of Education are Literature and History of the Old Testament Era, and Literature and History of the New Testament Era. The classes, approved last year by the Legislature, will not be required, and the state's 180 school systems can decide for themselves whether to offer them.

The school board's unanimous vote set up a 30-day public comment period, after which it is expected to give final approval.

Senate Majority Leader Tommie Williams, the Republican who sponsored the plan, said the Bible plays a major role in history and is important in understanding many classic literary works.

"It's not just 'The Good Book,"' Williams said. "It's a good book."

Charles Haynes of the First Amendment Center, a nonpartisan civil liberties group, has said the Georgia policy is the nation's first to endorse and fund Bible classes on a statewide level.

The bill approved overwhelmingly in the Legislature was tailored to make it clear the courses would not stray into religious teaching, Williams said.

The measure calls for the courses to be taught "in an objective and nondevotional manner with no attempt made to indoctrinate students."

But critics say that while the language may pass constitutional muster, that could change in the classroom if instructors stray.

Maggie Garrett, legislative counsel for the Georgia branch of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the curriculum approved Tuesday - like the Legislation itself - is vague.

"They didn't put in any outlines describing what they can and can't do constitutionally," she said. "The same traps are there for teachers who decide to teach the class."

Some teachers might seek to include their own beliefs or be pushed by students into conversations that include religious proselytizing, Garrett said.

During last year's campaign-period legislative session, Democrats surprised majority Republicans by introducing a plan to teach the Bible in public schools. Republicans, who control both chambers, quickly responded with their own version, which passed and was signed into law by Gov. Sonny Perdue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason to be liberaterian.
Amber Mallis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds kind of crazy.
I really don't understand schooling systems though? The public schools all go along with "Evolution", whilst we don't really ALL need to know that? (Yeah, as you noticed, I DID fail science more than once, but I didn't fail Astronomy, though Pluto was still considered a planet! Very Happy) But, I don't know, I'm still confused by the school boards... Confused
Maloryn
House Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I thought it were possible to actually teach about the history and impact without straying into teachers trying to convert students, I might actually think this is a good thing.

L and I were having a conversation the other day about xians and how those who weren't raised that way have issues understanding some of the things that make them tick. This is somewhat dangerous as a clear majority of the USA (even those who no longer subscribe to that belief structure) tend to follow those tenets / moral guidelines.

Sadly, I have to agree though. Bad idea, especially in GA.

---Mal
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it would be hard to teach such a class with out bias.

Words to live by. . ."Love all, trust a few, do harm to none." -- William Shakespeare
CeruleanTwilight

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school, for AP senior English summer reading, I had to read the Book of Job. We discussed the story and it was not a religion discussion or test that followed. It was a literature test and discussion and I had no problem with it.

That being said, I hardly think this is a good idea. I don't think that the school can really make this work in GA. Even if the class is designed to be as a literature class, you know that most of the kids who take this are going to be Christians who are taking because they want to or because their parents make them. The debates and discussions daily would be steered into a religion debate by these students, I'm sure.

I just don't think this is a good idea in the Bible belt. I can't see how they could control this enough and can you imagine the debates and bitter words this would cause? This would be a teacher's nightmare of a class to be assigned, I would think.
CeruleanTwilight

Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school, for AP senior English summer reading, I had to read the Book of Job. We discussed the story and it was not a religion discussion or test that followed. It was a literature test and discussion and I had no problem with it.

That being said, I hardly think this is a good idea. I don't think that the school can really make this work in GA. Even if the class is designed to be as a literature class, you know that most of the kids who take this are going to be Christians who are taking because they want to or because their parents make them. The debates and discussions daily would be steered into a religion debate by these students, I'm sure.

I just don't think this is a good idea in the Bible belt. I can't see how they could control this enough and can you imagine the debates and bitter words this would cause? This would be a teacher's nightmare of a class to be assigned, I would think.
UTAHVAMP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being religious myself I would say the aspect of this is a really good one, but would it actually work kind of doubt it. State and religion should never mix. I mean learning of the bible would definitely be good for children and maybe the next generation will have better morals than most do now, but at the same time everyone has the right to their own religious practices and if your not offering them all in school then none should be offered. It sonly fair, and technically I doubt most schools would allow Satanism to be practiced…lol. So how could this really be a fair thing to those involved? If it was a voluntary class offered that may work.
nightchild

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can agree with utahvamp on mixed religious teachings some grew up with xian teachings whilst another grows up with the moderen satansime.Some grow with with wicca or masonic believes there are 3 world religiouns and now ppl tend to go with buddhisme.ppl will not be forced into having to follow anothers way of life. I Europe there are alot of muslims some see it a threat to there believe's. That's why i would say as many have agreed it's not a wise choice to force believe unto ppl they must choose for themselves.The last school i went to was mixed more fun then beeing told what to believe.
i choose luciferian (not the Zandor lavey's)good author.
neo-paganism,buddhisme,masonic,some xian let's just say i like a cocktail.
knowledge is power.
SoulSplat
Founding Member

Game Trophies:  23
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bible Classes In Public School? Reply with quote

Merticus wrote:
By DOUG GROSS
AP

ATLANTA (March 9) - Georgia is poised to introduce two literature classes on the Bible in public schools next year, a move analysts say would make the state the first to take an explicit stance endorsing - and funding - biblical teachings. The Bible already is incorporated into some classes in Georgia and other states, but some critics say the board's move, which makes the Bible the classes' main text, treads into dangerous turf.

On a list of classes approved Thursday by the Georgia Board of Education are Literature and History of the Old Testament Era, and Literature and History of the New Testament Era. The classes, approved last year by the Legislature, will not be required, and the state's 180 school systems can decide for themselves whether to offer them.

The school board's unanimous vote set up a 30-day public comment period, after which it is expected to give final approval.

Senate Majority Leader Tommie Williams, the Republican who sponsored the plan, said the Bible plays a major role in history and is important in understanding many classic literary works.

Charles Haynes of the First Amendment Center, a nonpartisan civil liberties group, has said the Georgia policy is the nation's first to endorse and fund Bible classes on a statewide level.

The bill approved overwhelmingly in the Legislature was tailored to make it clear the courses would not stray into religious teaching, Williams said.

The measure calls for the courses to be taught "in an objective and nondevotional manner with no attempt made to indoctrinate students."

But critics say that while the language may pass constitutional muster, that could change in the classroom if instructors stray.

Maggie Garrett, legislative counsel for the Georgia branch of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the curriculum approved Tuesday - like the Legislation itself - is vague.

"They didn't put in any outlines describing what they can and can't do constitutionally," she said. "The same traps are there for teachers who decide to teach the class."

Some teachers might seek to include their own beliefs or be pushed by students into conversations that include religious proselytizing, Garrett said.

During last year's campaign-period legislative session, Democrats surprised majority Republicans by introducing a plan to teach the Bible in public schools. Republicans, who control both chambers, quickly responded with their own version, which passed and was signed into law by Gov. Sonny Perdue.

Actually, I think a "literature" calss on the bible would be a step in the right direction. A "History" class on the bible would be another thing entirely and something I might be opposed to.

They teach tons of epic novels in literature. The Iliad (or more commonly its excerpt, the Odessey) is a common occurrence on college syllabus(es?). Is there much of a difference?
Amber Mallis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bible Classes In Public School? Reply with quote

SoulSplat wrote:
Merticus wrote:
By DOUG GROSS
AP

Actually, I think a "literature" calss on the bible would be a step in the right direction. A "History" class on the bible would be another thing entirely and something I might be opposed to.

They teach tons of epic novels in literature. The Iliad (or more commonly its excerpt, the Odessey) is a common occurrence on college syllabus(es?). Is there much of a difference?

Especially in EnglishIV. I'm in that class right now, and everything is about England Literature and what epics are, plays, why were some banished and not used, and so forth and so on. It's all very interesting.
From EnglishIV, why don't we look into other countries, like as in, why couldn't we have a history class or a literature class about Ireland or Scotland, and etc?
I do agree with learning the Bible in a history class or in a literature class. Plus, I do agree that Christianity is a majority in the United States, so it will make more sense to throw in a class about the Bible learnings and so on.
cathmael

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a period literary work, the Bible is amazing. So long as they keep it subjective and don't try to convert the students or punish them for any of their views....that would suck.

What may happen as it does with most things, folks will start trying to get faith based stuff into the schools now that they are teaching about the bible (note I didn't say "teaching The Bible," which means "theology" or a seminarian course). They should also cover the Q'aran in the same course, it is also an amazing work.

I'd say they could also try to cover the Tibetan book of the Dead, but it's only a single year of school....

So yeah, it's going to come down to how people behave when their kid comes home from school after learning a critical literary point that doesn't necessarily support their scofield-reference-bred religous point of view. I can be there are going to be a lot of parents up in arms about how it doesn't teach it as the "word of God."
Lunara

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I suppose it's not as bad as what it could be.
Public schools are getting better about making sure
every religion is included.

I probably wouldn't mind my child learning this things, simply
because I would want him or her to be secular and worldly
rather than closed minded or ignorant.

But, I was never pushed into religion.

It's just how I was raised. To be who I feel comfortable.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Christianity All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: