Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Problems Within The Community - Part 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merticus
Site Admin & Founding Member

Game Trophies:  1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Problems Within The Community - Part 2 Reply with quote

The pervading apathy and pursuit of individual power throughout the Community indeed chips away at the support institutions that instruct, counsel, and care for the awakening and also existing members who have lost touch or began to question their nature. Additionally the resolve of those who do genuinely care is eroded every time we see elders and respected vampires hiding behind club kids and the pervasive drama, albeit personal or Community related in origin; or to have given up on the Community altogether and abstained from any direct contact. In effect such persons are finding solace in the current public perception of our Community, articles written that blur the lines between fantasy and reality, poorly researched psycho analyses of clinical, psychopathic, and moreover sycophantic individuals who form the basis for written guidelines for use in law enforcement (Dawn Perlmutter, et. al.), and television specials that leave the public even more confused as they are expected to sort the sprinkling of truth from the illusion. It is no wonder the public and even those among us hold a skewed and myopic view of real or modern vampirism.

If as a Community we decide there is a sound basis for obscuring the "truth" of vampirism from the mundane world and keeping to ourselves in a highly secretive society then we abandon any rights to complain when the deviant or misguided among us make our lives difficult through their actions. No where is it written that we are prohibited from contacting television programs in advance and presenting them coherent and organized information regarding the vampire community, no where is it written that we can't establish offline yearly and bi-coastal / international meetings to discuss matters of importance to the Community, no where is it written that we can't maintain local contacts with law enforcement or media who if aren't sympathetic, are at very least willing and available associates in times where negative attention regarding an event in our Community can be quelled or subjection to harassment, et. al. of our fellow vampires can be swiftly addressed. The status quo of accepting the broken elements, bad apples, and at times deliberate misinformation needs to be abated for any real changes to take root.

One of the core reasons others and myself have invested extensive resources in the VEWRS & AVEWRS is to critically evaluate the state and diversity of the Community absent of the lens of overt bias so that logical suggestions for repair, modification, and investigation can properly be established. Instead of holding fast to an isolationist stance within groups, forums, Houses, Courts, et. al., those in leadership positions, as have been proposed, must look beyond themselves and decide which areas their talents and efforts should be invested to improve upon the Community. Expanding this, what should have always been a natural role, could be a proposal for all established groups, forums, Houses, Courts, et. al. to take up a singular cause germane to their local Community and either work in concert with other entities on existing global projects or establish an individual campaign that favorably highlights the good nature of our Community. There is a high cyclic rate of turnover within the OVC due in large part to new and old members alike losing interest from a lack of challenge to grow personally, support one another, or be actively involved in something of intrinsic value or direct impact to our Community.

While the figure below would be most effectively expressed in spherical form, the outer and inner cores as well as the influences from other established groups display a vivid example of why dealing with the Community as a whole is often difficult and at times inane. However, we must concede a right of legitimacy, if even in small measure, to each of these groups as they shape the backdrop of the vampire community. The ultimate challenge of our Community will be if we can directly focus and wind tight the core to hold together this ever-evolving sphere before the centrifugal motion tears us apart. Unlike some other subcultures, in terms of maturity and clear organization, we are but at an infantile stage and we need not delude ourselves to the contrary. Make no mistake, it would not take but a couple of well orchestrated acts of defiance and violence both within and outside of our Community to have us examined through and through, others to throw up their hands and walk away, and the remainder to go so far underground as to stagnate any hopes for those who are left lost on the outside.

Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although, I very much wish to participate with "vampires" more intrinsically, I have to admit that I have not met any one in my area who isn't a bit crazy-scary. And they all seem very much different from my self. Hence, I have learned to be discerning of whom I choose to associate with, especially since my future career choice is steeped in sound "reason". And sadly, this particular life style is not seen as rational largely due to the reasons that you have given.

On the other hand, I also fear if they knew then they might try to exploit me, or ridicule the community as a whole based on their association with me. And to be truthful, I'm still a bit insecure with all this . . . there is not a proper support unit here for me, so unless I come to terms with being vampire, whatever, something-or-another. . . I will have no real comment to post in reply to your beautifully constructed community censure.

Eventually, I will make it to Ga to meet with various member of the community there, and until then I will stay locked in the coffin, so to speak.

Words to live by. . ."Love all, trust a few, do harm to none." -- William Shakespeare
nightchild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean Sandy.
I don't have many friends cause i don't trust ppl that easy no more.
change is part of live they will say change is good it keeps ppl from getting attached. But to forget along the way whom you are makes you open for outer attacks from ppl whom don't understand & most likely are afraid. That's why i will keep an open mind to keep learning of how self empowerment & growth can happen other's don't have to like it cause i'm not going to tell them how to live & keep respect for what they believe but somewhere the lines gets drawn.
But i have been hiding from to much before and now there so many thing's one still would like to do to go the Atlanta and meet the others of the community. I haven't gotten much chance to go to New York so far or visiting Amber in Florida and the list goes on.......
The more you do the more you learn life ain't going to get any easier but yet in todays society it's sometimes as well better to have secrets even how much ppl will push to get to the bottom everybody has a right to there privacy.
Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this type of judgment has a psychological term attached to it, it's called attribution.

Words to live by. . ."Love all, trust a few, do harm to none." -- William Shakespeare
nightchild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only stick to the usefull attributions in life if it can't help you or these ppl are only stopping your growth seek else where.
And unfortanelly i know alot if these ppl and most of them are really deluded from commen sense.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: