Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

VampireRave.com?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siege

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: VampireRave.com? Reply with quote

Has anyone seen this web site? I stumbled upon it tonight, and at first thought "cool!" But then after reading the long list of offensive definitions for the word vampire (which were supposedly taken from dictionaries and encyclopedias, but I was too tired to actually verify them), I was totally turned off by the site. I've resolved to explore it more when I'm not feeling quite so rotten and therefore unenthused. But before I go through the trouble of registering and all, I thought I would ask y'all's opinion: Is it a legit, helpful site--or just a bunch of hype?
RevDevon
Associate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reviewing as much as i was able to access ....reading a few profiles of the higher rated members (staff) .... seems to be quite directed toward RPGers rather then real as several references to being able to be turned,sired , and such ..... along with the number of members and their advancement system ...myself would not reccomend .... any other questions feel free to contact me am available on yahoo and msn usually invisable or away
UCV ,Dracorian 4th Chair House of Ma’at , Senior Honor Elder
Pranism Society, Elder/Admin Ordained Minister, U.L.C./Orderae Occultis/S.H.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Merticus
Site Admin & Founding Member

Game Trophies:  1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "rave" site isn't worth the time and effort that was put into creating it...
siege

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: VampireRave.com Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses. I forgot I even posted that here. I agree that the site is bunk. I never even bothered to go back to it. My search for donors continues....
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never actually even went to the site.. I guess now I know it isn't worth my time.
cathmael

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: question: Reply with quote

So is it weird to see your society from a parodical or mimicral standpoint on such sites?
siege

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird? No. Typical? Yes. I think sites like Rave are a lot more plentiful than real vampire sites. With all the role playing games, hollywood-inspired sites, and the like, I think sites like AVA are out-numbered.
zero
Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: typical Reply with quote

Sites like this are very typical - trying to be a blanket resource for a subject that could fill several encyclopedias. That's the basic conceptual error: the three definitions of "vampire" given, which look like they were lifted from a high-school level American English dictionary, don't do a thing to make the general statements that follow any more accurate.

For example, how does defining a vampire as a bloodsucking ghost (folklore) or an extortionist (cultural metaphor) , or a species of bat (zoology) help us understand why in the next few paragraphs we hear that vampires are former witches, that they are alike, but different, that different fictions about vampires now are eleveated to the rank of (we assume) co-existing or contemporaneous "races," and, best of all, that vampires are somehow simultaneously Greek (125 AD), Russian (1047 AD) and Asian (who-the-heck-knows AD) in origin?

I wouldn't even bother to pick it apart, save for two reasons. One, it's so typical of a failed folklore or literature information site that it ought to be in textbooks. And two, it's also typical of the kind of source material that winds up being cited in everything from academic journals to high schoolers' end-of-term reports.

All the online and print resources do this to one extent or another, and there's a simple reason. The phenomenology of the modern vampire community, the criticism of vampire literature, the history of vampire folklore and the anthropological comparison of Eastern European folklore to the traditional belief in superficially similar monsters in other regions are all completely separate topics, all needing their own gigantor website.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> General Vampire Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: