Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
An Independent Vampire House

www.atlantavampirealliance.com

AlbumAlbum :: Portal :: FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in
GamesGames :: Event Calendar :: Research

Please help us to develop!

Meditation

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Buddhism & Shamanism
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWisp

Game Trophies:  1
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Meditation Reply with quote

If anyone ever wants to do the mindfulness of breathing meditation or zazen with me, I'm looking for partners. I know, that's a little weird, but I always feel better when I'm doing it with someone else, and not because I'm feeding. Very Happy

Doesn't even have to be physically together. Could just pick times and compare notes.

I'm looking to get back into my practice more regularly and could use the kick in the pants. The last month has been hectic and I've let it slip.
Eclecta
Founding Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not weird. It keeps ya motivated to stay on track!

I would volunteer, but my schedule is so erratic and sporadic that I never know when I will be doing what..
figment

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you being mindful of THEIR breathing? Be careful. The point of mindfulness is to, for once, be mindful of yourself. Yes, there are mindfulness meditations of the relationship, but we do that often in life. Remember to take time aside to be mindful of YOU. It's hard to learn at first, and sometimes emotional or even seemingly painful, but it's all for the better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheWisp

Game Trophies:  1
Hall Of Fame Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, the point of mindfulness of breathing with other people is to know that someone else is in the room with you, doing the same practice, not to do the practice on them. It's for sharing experiences, having someone to compare notes with, but certainly not for following their breath.
figment

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand the many different reasons of doing meditation with someone else. But that type of meditation does not hold the same benefits as a regular, private meditation.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why it's more difficult for your accomplish, breathing on your own?

As humans, we're constantly taught to "compare notes." In fact, most of the vampire community aren't really vampires, I think, but just too many people who have compared notes and agreed that the other are weird. Stop comparing notes. Breathe. Do what's harder for you just cause it's harder and see what your body does, that's what mindfulness is all about.

Breathe and be mindful of the thoughts that arise as you're doing something harder than normal. When you don't have the crutch of afterwards going, "Hey did that feel long to you or am I just not doing as well as I thought?" Without the crutch, like people losing weight do, of saying, "I just don't want to be in it alone. I'll do it when someone goes with me."

You're in life alone. As humans and in this life we try to distract ourselves from that, but we are. Mindfulness meditation means no more distractions from what life is; face up and learn to savor what life really tastes like. Enjoy loneliness, silence. No tv no computer no distractions. Life.

I teach Theravada meditations and the (Mahayana, long story) Buddhist center I volunteer at if you would like any private help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] Forum Index -> Buddhism & Shamanism All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: