AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:56:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Therianthropy & Otherkin  |  General Otherkin Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Brain Chemistry & Paranormal Activity And/Or A Sense Of Otherkin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Brain Chemistry & Paranormal Activity And/Or A Sense Of Otherkin  (Read 15807 times)
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« on: March 01, 2009, 12:42:58 PM »

Posted by Arrwyn on January 16, 2009 at 2:06pm
Transferred from Suscitatio forums

I've done a very open ended research project of my own as to how frequent diagnosed brain and/or body chemistry "problems" exist along with paranormal ability and the sense of being any kind of "Otherkin". I'd be interested in responses from everyone on this discussion board as to their personal results with this.

I am diagnosed with an anxiety disorder BUT I also have been highly psychic since I was really young, around 4. I have, in my lifetime, demonstrated all 4 major categories of paranormal ability. Psychometry, Telepathy/Empathy, clairvoyance (in all senses) and precognition.

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
House AVA Founding Member
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »

Reply by Phoenixblast on January 16, 2009 at 5:36pm

How about looking at it this way. Being highly psychic and sensitive has affected me in a way that I have an anxiety disorder.

1) Could be feeling too many other peoples feelings and are not sheilded or grounded strongly enough.

2) Could be sensing things that are unseen around you at a very high level and intensity. (sheilding and grounding)

Sometimes if we do not keep our abilities and sheilds intact we become vulnerable to attack and the onslaught of other peoples emotions and emotional baggage and enough of that can cause anxiety or panic attacks.

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:43:29 PM »

Reply by Shane Wheeler on January 16, 2009 at 6:35pm

Only anecdotal evidence, no hard statistics, however, I've noticed some correlation between bipolar disorder and psychic talent. In one case, a mage with a very, very strong energy was bipolar and had actually invented a magic discipline designed to tone down the weirdness in his life. Strange events seemed to happen rather frequently in his presence. The other case was an online friend who claimed psychic powers, past lives, etc.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:43:41 PM »

Reply by Aarcane Seeker on January 16, 2009 at 6:58pm

A lot of times the effects of a sudden onset of psychic abilities can adversely effect a persons mental state. This usually lasts for any time period from 1 week to many years, it depends on the person. From the outside looking in, if a person had not experienced it then it seems like no more than a mild psychotic episode.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »

Reply by Niki on January 16, 2009 at 7:47pm

I have been diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy.
I am empathic and tend to note details other's miss.
I have demonstrated telepathy and precognition.

I often draw people to me who consider themselves "otherkin" and I have become a confidant for many people who have no one else to talk with.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 12:44:19 PM »

Reply by de libre on January 16, 2009 at 9:10pm

Yes, I would like to see a study with everyone with SPECT scans...but seeing how there are only three places in the US that do them, the expense and travel can obviously be difficult. Some of the things I was wondering was the anxiety, are other peopls basal ganglias lit up more than normal, what parts are more supressed, overactivated and so forth. And other medical tests, very interesting to see indeed.

Also, being a 'stronger' empath I naturally have a very good episodic memory thanks to the amylagada and emotions tied together. But prolactin levels and hormone misbalances could also and have proved why woman are more empathetic, but what does it mean even when the hormones are in check..that is something to consider. And those that do clairvoyance, pre-cog and so forth that show no bi-polar, electrical/chemical disorder in the brain..and have had EEGs and SPECTs done to prove that.

Personally, I don't like the word psychic but prefer intution but each to their own.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:44:35 PM »

Reply by Vladris Dracolyas on January 17, 2009 at 8:56pm

I actually have many brain and hormone problems. Some so severe I had surgeries. However, since I was 5yro. I had many paranormal abilities. Almost every type you can think of except for a few. Most my qualities I have had before I had any brain problems. As for hormones-who knows what all is wrong w/me there lol
Makes one wonder what really makes us us? Is it our problems or not?
I too have noticed that many otherkin/vampires and such have brain or hormone problems. Is there a connection or not? I think so to extent. I think that we are creatures that end up having these problems no matter what. Unlike mundanes that won't always have certian problems. I think that to extent, these problems are what makes us,us. The problems and what we can do are linked into us. It makes up what we are. It just doesn't happen. It's not accidental. Without these problems most likely we wouldn't be what we are. Instead, we'd be mundanes or mundane w/some paranormal traits that aren't that powerful or even a variety.
well, this is only my opinion.....

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 12:44:52 PM »

Reply by Duvessa on January 18, 2009 at 1:59am

i was diagnosed with a Stress disorder, after two very painful years, and rigorus testing, a micro stroke, several absent seizures and a pltheora of medications.

i have sensitive nerves in my head which trigger very painful, painkiller resistant migraines and absent seizures
i have to keep my stress levels exceptionally low to avoid this.

i have noticed that since i've sheilded to keep out a lot of ambient energies my migraines don't happen as often, or as severely. This may just be a coincidence, or a combination of shielding and the new exercise regieme.

I like you have been 'psychic' (though i would go more with energy aware in my case) since a very very young child.

I am now off medications, and continue to filter. this seems to provide a solution for me.

incidentally my nerves are not just sensitive in my head, they are also sensitive in my extremities.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 12:45:06 PM »

Reply by de libre on January 18, 2009 at 8:03pm

To the other person, I have enlarged ventricles since birth, and that too can make migranes much easier...CSF and all that.

Anywho, I've had a SPECT scan done, flew out to CA to get one. It stands for Single Photon Emissions Computed Tomography. Basically it is one of the more advanced scans today compared to EEGs, PET, MRIs (w pitutitary) CAT scans..which I've had all them as well. It not only shows the location, but rather can help diagnosis certain things like depression, bipolar disorder, strokes, certain viens/arteries, too much acitivity in the basial ganglia...very specific things and so forth.

Here is a site:http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-SPECT.htm

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 12:45:20 PM »

Reply by Siege a Ferios on January 22, 2009 at 12:39am

Note experiment 87-2731 of the ERP Lab at IU, currently in progress: Determining the general mental health and mental capability of persons who identify as psychics or who have had paranormal experiences. For those in the Bloomington, Indiana area who would like to join, the contact phone number is 812-856-4676 and their email is erplab@indiana.edu After the introductory interviews to determine your eligibility, there will be three 8-10hr sessions, paid at $10/hr.

In my experience, the specific action of anti-psychotics with regard to psychic ability is that they dampen sensitivity. Since anti-psychotics are thought to work primarily by blocking dopamine in the brain, there seems to be a clear link between dopamine activity and psychic ability.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 12:45:38 PM »

Reply by ViolinGoddess on January 29, 2009 at 1:57am

I have not only noticed, but studied (on my own, as there doesn't seem to be a "institute" or "research center" conducting an official study) that there is a very real correlation between people who have psychological disorders, and those who have A) Psychic Abilities; B) Naturally magically adept; C) Otherkin of any kind. In the 9 years in which I have been recording these correlations, I have noticed that the most commonly found disorders (by no means the only ones) are:
Depression
Suicidal Tendencies
Anxiety Disorders
PTSD
Bi-Polar Depression
ADD/ADHD
Dislexia
High-Functioning Autism
Social Phobias
SI (Self Injury)
Scitzo-typal Disorder
Paranoia
Agoraphobia
Epilepsy
Various Personality Disorders
Night Terrors
etc.
I have spoken with several people who have been trained in the Magical Arts, Psychic Abilities, and Reincarnation Studies. Many of them agree that there is a direct connection between those who are magically/psychically gifted, and psychological disorders. The connection can be described as follows (although clumsily):

"People who's brains have the ability to sense/see/understand things "beyond the physical world", seem to have "side effects" if you will, of having those abilities. These "side effects" manifest as psychological disorders. However, WHICH disorder can also be directly connected to the person's abilities."

I'll use myself as an example.
My Psychic Abilities are:
Empathy
Pre-cognative dreams
Mediumship
Clairvoyance
Clairsentience
Remote-Viewing
Psycometry
Dowsing
(I don't know if there's a name for this) The ability to seen, visit, sense, and get messeges from other dimensions.
Mild telepathy
Post-cognition
Channeling

My Magical adeptness lay ing:
Energy Manipulation
Healing
"Seeing inside a person psyche"
seeing inside a person's body (healing)
Faery communication
Charging items
astral projection
sending energy to others as far away as across the US
Visiting someone's dreams
Dream interpretation
cleansing
grounding three different sources
energy creations
spirit communication/interaction
etc

My Otherkin-ness is:
Elven
Angelkin

My Psychological Disorders:
ADD
Epilepsy
Major Depression
Suicidal Tendencies
Self-Injury (cutting)
Anxiety Disorder
Panic Attacks
Agoraphobia
PTSD

I can (through self introspection, etc) directly connect :
My Depression, suicide, and SI with my Empathy, which is a direct result of my Angelkinness (if you wish to know why, ask me personally)
My PTSD is directly related to a gang rape in a past Elven lifetime.
My Anxiety disorder is directly related to my pre-cognition; mediumship, channeling and empathy. (long story too)
and the list goes on.

Currently I'm doing a study of people who are diagnosed with disorders such as Delusions and Hallucinations.
So far, what I've uncovered is that the many varieties of the manifestations of these delusions, are almost identical to the ways people experience Psychic abilities!!!!

Yours In Service;
Violin Goddess

"I believe in things that you say don't exist. Is it safer for my truths to be nonsense, than for your truths to be questioned?" -- Me 2008

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »

Reply by de libre on January 30, 2009 at 5:40am

EM, I would have to disagree that one has to be fucked up in order to have a different take on it. The human mind is amazing you don't have to be mentally diseased in order to read people, granted that's how it usually starts off, because when one's health is off balance people can notice a lot of things. Not saying that mental health to such 'abilities' is not a correlation what so ever I might be kidding myself ha-ha. But that sure does not mean that there is a strong correlation or for every said person, or that it has to continue that way, for example if the person gets better from said illness and still can.

So, I'd have to certainly not fully agree with some of these statements. I'd also like to add the term intuition and not psychic ability, seeing as the mind is amazing and can interpret all types of sensations that most choose to ignore/prioritize differently. I believe that humans can scan each other, how else would people be able to 'imagine' atoms, internal organs and even things not visible to the naked eye until recently and be dead accurate. You don't have to be special, merely that any human can do such thing, it's if you choose to or not and how you perceive life.

More so how you choose to look at sensations and recognize them.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »

Reply by outward on February 1, 2009 at 3:08pm

I don't believe I've had any advanced paranormal experiences beyond the average human spectrum.

I've had many strong emphasis's on "Deja Vu" and "Deja Rene.," along with only a couple notable (but still rather insignificant) occurances of precognition. I've fiddled around with "energy and aura readings." I'm highly intriqued by the concept of auras, but I wouldn't claim I'm capable of consciously determining them myself. (Although, personally, I find Auras to have more emotional and psychological roots than paranormal ones, oh, wait, I don't want to argue semantics here....)

Otherwise, on the note of "chemistry 'problems'" I've been diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder.

I'm a feline therianthrope, btw, for note on your little project. As far as I know, the majority of therianthropes do not claim to have any ESP of any sorts -- claims of paranormal powers may be affected by the specific otherkin identity, I suppose. : )

*wishes she could predict the weather, such as cats SUPPOSEDLY can.*

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
Stiles Mornay
Level 3 Contributor

Nomad of AnimA

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »

....... Jesus Christ. ::shakes head:: Reminds me too much of my former master. He's like a walking medical/psychological case due to his abilities. They often tax his body and mental processes, yet grants him weird shit. For example:

Every time he receives dreams that are divine by nature, he gets massive nosebleeds.
Every time he gets "prophecies" he becomes an entirely different person, almost like a damn robot or android or however ya see it fit.
He somehow regenerates much faster than normal if wounded however seriously or superficially.
Recently went diabetic (been medically tested) and yet still can convert glucose out of his body's sheer need to metabolize in order to allow him to use energy work.
His long-term memory suffers greatly due to a supposed spirit co-habiting within him.
Said supposed spirit is able to possess him with his voice changing to a more sterner tone.
When using certain abilities, his eyes changes color from normal green to red.
He's sensitive enough towards the energies in his surrounding area he gets migraines.
He's emotionally fragile and co-dependent.
Also subject to radical mood swings depending on the situation.
And lastly, his body often harbors toxins to the point his blood literally turns black at some times.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: