AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2020, 08:21:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Therianthropy & Otherkin  |  Therianthropy & Were (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Therian Skeptics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Therian Skeptics  (Read 7587 times)
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« on: March 01, 2009, 12:11:26 PM »

Posted by Paindancer on February 2, 2009 at 6:57pm
Transferred from Suscitatio forums

Ok, Im I pretty open minded. My own history and nature has some pretty interesting twists and turns. Still, Therianthropy has always been the hardest for me to really stomach. It seems, the wildest stories seem to stem form this sector, the strongest reliance of personal account instead of evidence, and when you run into a 'super psion vampire werewolf dragon fairy princess kin' they are going to be 100% insistent that werewolfs are in fact, real.. just really hard to find.

That said... perhaps my perspective is just way off. Certainly, I am a big proponent of the personal mythos, but I find it difficult to defend most therians.

So help me out. Explain your concepts, and please give me more than "I saw it with my own eyes once, but have no proof or collaboration". Consider it practice for educating a greater section of the population.

Physical shape shifters? Id love to hear the physical explanation of this.
Spiritual shape shifters? That makes a lot more sense, although I dont understand the animalistic connection.
Strong ties to a totem perhaps?
Strong connection to a past life?

Throw me a bone!

*hides from the repercussion of the closing bad joke*

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
House AVA Founding Member
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:11:56 PM »

Reply by outward on February 2, 2009 at 8:40pm

Wow, you've really been bumping into some strange therians!

Project-shift.org says this to be one of the consensual definitions of Therianthropy: The state of being a person who is, feels, or believes he/she is in part or whole (non-physically) one or more non-human animals on an integral, personal level.

Here's a good introduction into Therianthropy: http://project-shift.org/whatis.html

>>>Physical shape shifters? Id love to hear the physical explanation of this.<<

The majority of the therians that I associate with (I chat primarily on Werelist whenever I have enough free time to do so. If you're really interested in therianthropy, I would recommend stopping by the forums and having a first hand look for yourself.) scoff at the idea of physical shifting. Yes, we do WANT and sometimes dream of shapeshifting, but we're aware it's not a reality. I don't speak for all therianthopes, though.

>>>>Spiritual shape shifters? That makes a lot more sense, although I dont understand the animalistic connection.
Strong ties to a totem perhaps?
Strong connection to a past life?<<<<

Firstly, therianthropes are not so much shapeshifters as they ARE the animal in question. A wolf therian is not a human who has a spiritual connection to wolf, but a person who has an intrinsic identification with the wolf that they feel as though they have a wolf essence, and not a human one.

About Totems: Totemism, and mistaking theriotypes with totems, has been thoroughly discussed within the Therianthope community. Totemism, though, is NOT the same as therianthropy, as totems are seperate entities from the individual, whereas a therianthrope feels as though they are their theriotype in human form.

Past lives in a reoccurring theory within the community, also. Although, there are an abundant amount of theories and suggestions for the cause of therianthropy extending from the metaphysical to the psychological.

About my personal identification as a therianthrope:

Therianthropy feels "right" because I feel, identify, and believe that I am "a cat stuck in a human body."

When I originally started suspecting the feline-aspect of myself, I could only describe myself as "sharing a body" with a cat. I felt a struggle between 'cat' and 'human,' and my shifts were stronger and felt more separated from my normal everyday human thoughts. As time progressed, and I accepted 'cat,' I starting acknowledging that I have never shared a body with a cat -- I am the cat and I always have been. As a child, being virtually unaffected by social norms, I never paid much attention to the feline aspect of myself. I currently believe that my perceived rift between "cat" and "human" was something I created to cope with growing up and experiencing other people's expectations.

So, in other words, my "connection" to my therioside is that it is me. Being a cat is not a part or a side of me, it's all of me -- my 'soul' anyway.

As much as I wish I do, I have never had any mystical bond or connection to cats. I cannot communicate with them, and I highly doubt any of them recognize me as a cat. I will say thought, that I have always had an "understanding" to cats. I understand they way their minds tick, I understand why they do what they do, and I understand how the slight change in position of every part of their body -- from their toes, whiskers, and tails -- can convey a different emotion. I naturally understand them in a way I never understood humans or my other pets.

I am a cat because I understand them and relate to them in a way that I cannot for any other creature. I may "understand" why a dog fetches a ball after I throw it, but I cannot relate to a dog the same way I can relate to a cat. I have owned dogs and various rodents before, and I loved these animals very much. Even though my cat does not walk on a leash nor do 'fun' things like run around at a park, I liked my cat the most. I never complained that my cat slept all day, or that he doesn't learn tricks -- because in some way, I understood his 'aloof' qualities.

I have strongly considered the possibility of leading myself on. I try to be as brutally honest with myself as possible. As I see it, though, even if I do not fit the word "therianthropy," that does not change my own personal experience, or how I view myself.

I hope this helps! : )

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »

Reply by outward on February 2, 2009 at 8:48pm

Anyhow, I was reading your profile and noticed you identified as otherkin. If you understand the concept of Otherkin, all you need to do is replace elf/fairy/demon/angel with wolf/tiger/shark/horse/whatever.

As I said, you've probably been running into some strange therians -- there appears to be a rift in the community between the attitudes of people who place themselves under the term 'therianthrope.' : \

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:12:26 PM »

Reply by Paindancer on February 2, 2009 at 10:05pm

Thats probably the best thought out collection of notes I have read in a while. Ill have to say thanks for that. And yes, there are so many wish-kin out there, it could be the 'therians' I have met to date could just have been the odd ones. I really appreciate you taking the time for it.

I personally think the labels we give ourselves are crude and innacurate at best. Its hard really to explore this concept. "HI! This shell is what is locally termed as human, but my soul is not associated with the collective of 'man' " There really isnt a lot of recorded precedent.

Otherkin seems to work the best for me as it appears to be the most general. I can recall glimpes of half a dozen other runs in various forms (chuckle, Id like to go around calling myself a jelly-kin in reference to one of those runs, but I couldnt take myself seriously) so I dont have a real strong connection to any single particular one.

Formerly a cat. I suppose that is actually in line with Hindu thought, to a degree. (the cow thing never made much sence outside of a animal in proximity to man).

I knew a raven for sure. It was more than totem, she was so connected with the raven collective. Thats just what she was. I never thought of her as a therian before but the way you describe it it makes sense.

And yeah, there are the maladjusted, poser, bad example of other-kin like anywhere. To be honest, when someone tells me they are a angel, or demon, or elf or farie, I tend to ramp the scrutiny way up. Its easy to roleplay a bit, and come off wise, but so very very few really have any idea what they are talking about. But even then, with all of the unknowns, perhaps they are legitimate, just struggling in the dark like the rest of us.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 12:12:41 PM »

Reply by Danielle on February 3, 2009 at 4:41pm

I agree with outward on this one. The way I feel about a wolf is like I am the wolf because i can understand exactly why they do the things they do, why they change their pitch when they howl, I can identify myself better with a wolf or other canine better then I can identify with other humans. To say that my soul was human wouldn't be true but to say that it was wolf wouldn't be true either, trying to choose just one would be like ( as I've said before in other discussions) ripping my soul in half. I am human in that I act and have a body like one, but I'm a wolf in that I think and also act like one. Like as an example I myself get what I would call blood lusts, where I would like nothing more than to sink my teeth into the neck of a deer and tear it to pieces, Would you call that human? But then at times I want nothing more than to go shopping and hang out with friends, Would you call that wolfish? So it's not so much that we just think like an animal but we are that animal as well as having human qualities. But I would guess that those qualities just develope from being raised as a human.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 12:12:59 PM »

Reply by Paindancer on February 3, 2009 at 5:26pm

There are definitely some common lines with myself here, with the main caveat being I recall non terrestrial existences. (Well, I could be wrong, going back in the the history of time, there are lot of extinct species which would appear pretty alien)

One theory I hold, is the concept of fractalization, or fragmentation of a single, advanced spiritual entity. For example, a animal is probably more advanced than the typical human on a soul level, but a animal soul splits its awareness on the physical into multiple bodies.

Is it possible then, for a human to evolve to the point where it achieves a state of a animal soul? Possibly. Vice versa, could a animal fragment evolve to the point where it takes on a human incarnation. Equally possible.

Would that theory possibly fit some of what you two are describing?

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:13:16 PM »

Reply by outward on February 3, 2009 at 6:00pm

As I said, there are MULTITUDES of theories suggested within the therian community as to the cause of therianthropy.

Your theory could possibly fit in there somewhere. A common theme is the idea that animals souls are being forced to take human bodies due to the lack of available animal 'containers' (IE. Human enroachment and the like. This is also considered the metaphysical explanation for why there are so many therianthropes of the wolven/tiger/otherreallycoolpredatoryanimal persuasion. )

All in all, I may not know that my therianthropy is a past life connection, a very strong totem, an "oops I missed" on God's part, atypical neurobiology, or a psychological crutch. What I do know is that my felinity is real, to me. It is something I experience that I can describe as "therianthropy."

Danielle: Yeah. If you break down the term "therianthropy" it means both 'beast' and 'man.' I would never call myself FULLY feline, I have both human and cat mindsets -- and sometimes it's incredibly difficult to draw the line between where one starts and the other begins. My human and cat 'parts' blend into a (mostly) cohesive whole.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 12:13:30 PM »

Reply by Paindancer on February 3, 2009 at 8:03pm

Ah ha. The complete lack of gerbil-kin is now explained!

I cant say I completely grasp it. The whole terra dependency isnt something I will probably allways be on the outside looking in on.. but it is making sense.

Heh, and yeah.. the possibility that we are all just collectively mad is one we can never discount. Keeps ya sane. Wink

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
WingedWolfPsion
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 09:07:57 PM »

I have encountered in the therian community the following legit 'atypical' theriotypes:  A wild boar, several deer, horses, snakes, spiders, and an earwig (a type of insect).
A gerbil-kin would not surprise me.

However, it seems UNLIKELY that a gerbil-kin would ever encounter the therian community.  Herbivore theriotypes would be less likely to be be drawn to werewolf fiction, and thus less likely to run across 'real werewolf' websites.  That may change as the community grows, but for now, we're high on predators, because most of the imagery we use and the names we use draw them in more.

That nice old lady with 60 pictures of cows in her house just might be a cow therian.  There's more than one way people can express how they feel, and most of them aren't going to tell their friends that they 'feel like they're a cow inside'.  Nor are they going to go looking for werewolves. 

And that, in my opinion, is the most reasonable explanation for why there are so few non-predators in the therian community. Smiley

"Eagles inhabit the heavenly heights, they know neither limit nor bound.
They're the guardian angels of darkness and light, they see all and hear every sound.
My spirit will never be broken or caught for the soul is a free-flying thing.
Like an eagle that needs neither comfort nor thought to rise up on glorious wings."
              --Eagles and Horses, John Denver

"If I come back again, I want to come back as an eagle".
               --John Denver

(Many of us believe John Denver was a therian.  We have good reason to think so.  His obsession with the eagle, and identification with it, permeates his work and the things that he's said.  It drove him into the air, and we hope, after he came crashing back to earth, that he's out there somewhere...flying above the mountains on his own wings again).

--Winged Wolf
Home page: www.wingedwolfpsion.com
Metaphysical business:  www.eclipsemetaphysical.com
Reptile business:  www.eclipseexotics.com
Follow my Twitters:  WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: