AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:41:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Energy Work, Psionics, & Paranormal Studies  |  Dreams & Visions (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  OBE & Sleep Paralysis - Old Hag Effect 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: OBE & Sleep Paralysis - Old Hag Effect  (Read 4655 times)
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« on: February 06, 2009, 01:03:28 PM »

Transfered From Suscitatio Forum
Posted By: Merticus
On: February 03, 2008, 04:00:20 PM

How many of you have read "The Terror That Comes In The Night" by David J. Hufford?

http://www.amazon.com/Terror-Publications-American-Folklore-Society/dp/081221305X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202072342&sr=1-1

The Terror That comes in the Night is based on supernatural tales about nightmares, night terrors, and possession by entities suchas witches, succubae and, primarily, an entity called "The Old Hag."

The book runs the gamut from scientific tome to supernatural thriller reminiscent of Jay Anson's Amityville Horror.  Yet, it is all based on fact, research, and the folklore of isolated spots like Newfoundland in eastern Canada.

Hufford discusses such disparate topics as nightmares, sleep paralysis, hypnagogic hallucination and out of body experiences. But he also talks about the supernatural -- about ghosts, witches and UFOs.  This is a fascinating book and makes one wonder what other tales from folklore, previously called myths, might actually be based on real events.

The Terror that Comes in the Night is a publication of the American Folklore Society.  It is filled with excerpts from interviews conducted by Hufford and his colleagues.

David Hufford, Ph.D., is professor of medical humanities at the Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey, Pennsylvania with joint appointments in behavioral sciences and family and community medicine.  He serves on the editorial boards of several journals, including Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine, for which he also writes a column on ethical and social issues. He has published widely and lectures at universities and medical schools around the country on the topics of spirituality and alternative and folk medicine.   Dr. Hufford's work is grounded in the experience-centered study of belief and spirituality.

"I felt this pressing down all over me.  I couldn't breathe.  I couldn't move," reports one interviewee.  And this is indeed the case for many of the people Hufford talked to.  These people range from uneducated laborers from isolated communities to college students and graduates.

Similar elements exist in all of these stories - usually a noise such as footsteps or a door slamming, the sense of a presence in the room, pressure, inability to move or even breathe.  Sometimes the person detects a shadowy figure.  These visitations or hallucinations are often accompanied by the feeling one is being drawn from the body, and some people have even reported a full- blown out of body experience.

Although other elements may also be present, there are so many similarities Hufford draws the conclusion that these stories, many passed down orally from earlier generations, as all somehow connected.  For want of a better name, he calls it "The Old Hag Tradition."

Although much of this book is written from an academic viewpoint, I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in nightmares, sleep terrors or sleep paralysis.  I would also recommend it to anyone interested in trying to disentangle the tangled threads of folklore.

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
House AVA Founding Member
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »

Transfered From Suscitatio Forum
Posted By: Paradox
On: February 04, 2008, 07:40:32 PM

I get that sometimes but I can differentiate sleep paralysis and an astral attack of some type.  When most people wake and realize that they can't move they begin to panic and the hysteria ensues.

I do remember one incident though where I'm in my sleep and I'm woken by something (that somebody is in the room feeling).  My eyes are still closed and I have the typical sleep paralysis feeling but I can move enough to turn over.  I go to turn over on my stomach but I soon realize that I'm stuck on my side, so I try to turn more and it feels like my wrist is stuck mid air like something was holding it there.  I assume that someone is playing a joke on me because it doesn't feel threatening at all, but when I try to tell them to let go and quit playing around my voice is nearly mute.  At this point I realize what is going on and I'm beyond pissed and its like I go into auto pilot or something because I said something in latin (I assume) using my magickal voice (monkish tone for most people, diva tone for me **strikes a pose**).  I really can't remember what I said either, "Exitsomething something something" (... O_o), anyway what ever was binding my wrist vanished.

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
House AVA Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: