AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 12:04:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19895 Posts in 2601 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Therianthropy & Otherkin  |  Mixed | Hybrid | Shifter | Other (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  The Vampiric Hound 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Vampiric Hound  (Read 4010 times)
Lorack
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:45:18 pm »

"In the Inuit mythology of the Labrador and Hudson Bay coasts, the Adlet are monsters that drink blood. They are the offspring a woman and a red dog. Five of the woman's ten children were dogs who crossed the seas to engender the European races. The other five children were the monstrous Adlet. The offspring of the Adlet are known as the Erqigdlit."
Internet source: www.wikipedia.com

Has anyone come up with sort of creature in thier studies? ive been looking up mythical creatures, and this one seems to be the most probable one to actually exist. As there are many undiscovered animals out there, it would'nt be surprising to find a canine that only feeds on blood. tell me what you think or find.

Kerri
Level 3 Contributor

Nothing comes without a price...

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:47:51 am »

I've seen the title to this post on the main board for quite some time now and admittedly scoffed at the concept. To follow that statement I'd like to say that I am delightfully surprised that not only is there legitimacy to the idea but you've provided resources. Good show.

wicthdragon
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 05:08:45 am »

I never heard of these before, but they sound very interesting.

THE God maker.
AyraGrace
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:42:21 pm »

Sorry, I looked but could not find much. This is what I did find out. Will post if I find anything new. Thanks.

ADLET
Dog People, a fabulous race believed by the Inuitís to be the descendants of an enormous red dog. They are said to be the result of a beast marriage between the dog and an Inuit woman, which produced five monstrous children and five dogs. The dogs were set adrift on a raft by their mother and drifted across the sea to beget between them the white races, but the monsters produced a terrible race of bloodthirsty cannibalistic warriors. Called Adlet by Labrador groups and Erqigdlit by those wet of Hudsonís Bay, this mythical people is also recognized by tribes in Greenland and Baffinland

http://www.tribal-unity.com/Stories_Two.html

Inuit Mythology

Erqigdlit
Another spirit you should avoid. In the heart of the mountains near the edge of the ice cap live some creatures who are the worst enemies of the Inuitís. They have the upper body of a dog. If they see any Inuit, theyíll pursue them and tear them to pieces out of sheer lust to kill. 

http://www.eastgreenland.com/database.asp?lang=eng&num=605

I maybe on the side of angels...but don"t think for one second i am one of them.
Etheros Twilight
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 07:35:58 pm »

fascinating, i wonder if there is any relation to the hounds of hell....which also (unfortunately) exhibit a excessive bloodlust.

i don't know much about their origins, but their natures are somewhat violent. their attribute is fire, and their main form of hunting is driving the prey into a corner either literally or emotionally with a series of "hauntings in which their famous bark(s) are displayed.

my experience is that they do have a dynamic growth, though i am not quite sure whether it is based on souls eaten or time in existence. smaller hounds tend to move in packs, usually anywhere between 4-8, with a tendency to surround the prey, which is a holding method for prey until either a leader (either a alpha or some being which has exerted a force over the hounds, displacing them from their usual natures) minor(younger) hellhounds generaly appear as black or dark grey dogs, with a tendency to bark and yap constantly and viciously.

the larger hounds, however usually will travel in no larger than packs of 3, usually being found solitary, as they hunt on their own unless summoned by their own.
these appear similar to their younger counterparts, but are much larger and can display sigils or other decorations seared into their fur, usually appearing as embers or flames.
their attack strategy usually involves shocking their prey with their bark, which, depending on the power of the hound, can be anything from a deafening roar to a energetic attack that overwhelms the auditory senses as well as sears with projectile fire based energy. my assumption is that the fire energy is something akin to droplets of drool, or at least feels like it.

Hellhounds have appeared in the mythos of cultures across the globe, from the famous Cerberus in greek mythology, to British forms which are based from Celtic and Norse origin, to south and central america, as the Cadejo, a black dog which hunts young men who are out in the streets after dark.

semper praecidium nox quod vitae noctum est omnes nosferatem vitae
AyraGrace
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 07:55:59 pm »

Thanks for sharing It is very interesting I am intrigued Why would they attack a human for their soul? for energy? bloodlust? or do they only attack other beings with a higher lifeforce? motavation survival ?

I maybe on the side of angels...but don"t think for one second i am one of them.
Etheros Twilight
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 02:19:24 pm »

Well, frankly, I am not completely sure about that. i know that they target higher energy concentrations, but not necessarily stronger beings.

Fortunately I have not encountered them all that much, though that does limit my data on their cognitive abilities and habits other than when attacking.

It can be assumed, considering the amount of energy expelled in their attacks that they will avoid most mundanes, as they do not have the energy to recover what was lost in the attack. this, however is not much of a problem, as most of their prey that I have seen are spirits, not mortals.
However, this is the very reason why i would caution anyone against attempting to view beings of this nature via astral projection.

As far as why they attack, it could be any number of reasons. If they are created from the spirits of natural canines, then it could be a hunting instinct that remains in their psyche. It may simply be a survival mechanism, such that they need to replenish energy lost over time, which is compounded again by the energy lost in combat, such that a victory only will stave off hunger for a short period of time if they are active constantly.

Also, I feel i need to clarify two points, blood lust and soul consumption.
When i mentioned their bloodlust I was referring to a nature of extreme aggression, which is compounded by hunger. This can lead to irrational actions, just as any carnivore in nature when in a state of extreme hunger will develop a sort of bloodlust, in which it will attack anything it can to sustain itself. Fortunately, they do not seem to have the mental capacity to become "blood drunk" (a state of addiction to carnage, in which there is a disassociation of boundaries. It has also been labeled as (rabid) madness, and berserk.)
(lust = extreme desire, usually but not always sexual, which can result in unconscious or irrational action)

When I mentioned hellhounds eating souls, I was not overestimating the extent of their attack, but rather that i want to clarify before it becomes a major digression, that the soul is not destroyed, as generally unless completely "digested", some part retains the memory of the soul, and as such can gather energy and regenerate. (this however is not very likely to be a complete regeneration, as the soul will be gathering ambient energy over time, and will develop characteristics of the plane in which it is recovering)

But, I am not here to lecture. It would be great if anyone else has data to share. Perhaps if anyone else has some experiences with any type of spiritual canine, or a parallel to a natural one? perhaps some mythos that gives some insight?

semper praecidium nox quod vitae noctum est omnes nosferatem vitae
Stiles Mornay
Level 3 Contributor

Nomad of AnimA

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 05:55:43 pm »

Yeah, as I've stated in the Truth About Fae post, I've encountered a flaming dog in the etheric sense. Its body was of blue fire whilst its eyes were red fire. Just roamed along the surface of the water off the beach, didn't display any aggressiveness. Also, this is somewhat off-topic, I happen to have a wolf spirit as my guide of sorts.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: