AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2020, 07:40:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19896 Posts in 2602 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  AVA Discussion: The Community & Publicity? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AVA Discussion: The Community & Publicity?  (Read 5336 times)
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« on: March 27, 2008, 02:51:26 pm »

The following is a question that was posed for group discussion at TWILIGHT II in Atlanta, GA this past March 2008.  I'd like to continue the discussion here on the AVA forum to gather everyone's opinion and input on the particular subject.  Please answer the question (all parts) below and offer your perspective!

The Community & Publicity?

Discussion:
What are the strengths and weaknesses of a tendency to remain isolated and reclusive?  What are the strengths and weaknesses of promoting public acceptance – how much is too much publicity?  What is the possible impact of current geo-political issues on the vampire community; particularly when certain elements have labeled the vampire community as a terroristic religious cult?  What does it mean for the community that we’re seeing an increase in publicity at the same time that the global political climate is becoming increasingly paranoid?

sandmanbrian777
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 04:05:25 pm »

Greetings:

What are the strengths and weaknesses of a tendency to remain isolated and reclusive?
************Safety, safety and safety.  Those who are called will search out other community members.  Being too public
makes the your Profile high enough to invite unwanted attention from those wishing to do us harm.  Like the Old West gunslinger seeking more notches in their gun handle.   

What are the strengths and weaknesses of promoting public acceptance – how much is too much publicity? 
**************Credible info given by trianed and experienced public information representatives is a route to follow.  Too much is when others start to surveill you in a covert manner.  How much is needed to overcome the popular Hollywood hype?  What image sells, the truth or fantasy? 
Modern story tellers should have a public source for factual Vamp info.  I am sure the old stereotype image has been over used and a more truthful version can be exploited.   Some have used discussions in our lists in to base characters and plot lines on.  I can't tell you how many times fiction writers have contacted our local group members offline for info and private meetings.  Geez or how about students with courses about Vamps, but can't cite the course name or teaching institution!  How about the course outline?  Forget it.

What is the possible impact of current geo-political issues on the vampire community; particularly when certain elements have labeled the vampire community as a terroristic religious cult? 
**************Most hate mongers need a image to fight and cause to raise funding money for.  Personaly I see a world of difference between a cult and our community.  Those who brand the Vampire Community as a cult or terroristic require proof to validate their assertions.  We all have to be careful of those in the News Media who manipulate conversations  to suit their own ends.  The Vamp Community may face the problem of a terrorist using the community as a place of cover and camouflage.

What does it mean for the community that we’re seeing an increase in publicity at the same time that the global political climate is becoming increasingly paranoid?
******************For now the Witch Hunt is on other areas of social unrest and potential for profit.  Keep the pendulum at the other end for now.  In the middle ages the Inquisition focused on anyone was considered different.  Being presented as too different  with nothing useful to contribute to the general society is a difinate problem to be addressed. 

....................V""V.....................................

ariesffa1500
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:56:24 pm »

I agree with most of what was said above me. But it is my opinion that as of right now that any publicity is too much. I honestly don't think it was time for those of us in the community to reveal ourselves as a whole. And as for possible terrorsts trying to use the community for cover, I honestly do not see that happening unless they are religious terrorists who are not afraid of us. The community is not a good place for any terrorist with a half a brain to hide.

From whence we have come do we once again return. Life and Death are integral parts of the same whole, without one the other does not exist.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Such is true, thus knowledge is power so knowledge corrupts and absolute knowledge corrupts absolutely.
DRAGON
Level 2 Contributor

THIS IS ME A REAL VAMPIRE FROM COLOMBIA

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 05:45:59 pm »

Well, I will tell you what has happened here with me:

Vampires are not welcome here. People fear us. In Columbia, it is better for me to remain isolated and reclusive. In my town I prefer to stay hidden from everyone else, believe me it is better that way, the weaknesses are for me to try and make the people understand that we exist, because here they are not ready yet. So it is better for me to remain isolated and reclusive.

DRAKO

I AM  A COLOMBIAN VAMPIRE AND I AM THE ONLY ONE IN MY CITY
Corvis Nocturnum
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:12:40 pm »

The strengths and weaknesses of a tendency to remain isolated and reclusive?  

The strength here is that we remain in shadows an don't have to fear public ridicule. the bad part of it is in being reclusive they (the media) are free to do and say what they wish without reprisals.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of promoting public acceptance – how much is too much publicity?

The strength of public acceptance is greater awareness and acceptance is never a negative thing. But don't ever be fooled into thinking you can be accepted by all people, no group of minorities have that. I feel too much publicity can cause panic to those who might be outed and the risks to their professional and personal lives.

What is the possible impact of current geopolitical issues on the vampire community; particularly when certain elements have labeled the vampire community as a terroristic religious cult? 

By and large we as a community are not given validity as anything other than a fringe lunatic group, and those of us truly concerned with the Dawn Puerlmuter's of the world may not really be watched all that closely as a real terrorist threat when there are bigger, more powerful real world threats to the safety of the country.

What does it mean for the community that we’re seeing an increase in publicity at the same time that the global political climate is becoming increasingly paranoid?

Personally, the general public anyway, I think at this point we don't have the exposure rating so high that it will remain a fear factor in the public eye. We and our philosophical/physical differences are basically only a temporary psychological/medical debate for academic types and a quick curiosity piece when it comes to the media as the vampire craze grips the nation due to Twilight and True Blood.

When it comes to the governments of the world perhaps they will see us as a threat because we have the power to sway others in larger and larger circles of influence. As the public becomes more aware of us they flock to that which intriges them. Are we too big of a growing threat as Satanism grew to be the Salem witch trials of the 1980-90's? The FBI may have debunked the reports later but for a while child care workers, psychologists and police were all very against anything subculture related as shown by the big hooplah over heavy metal bands, playing records backwards, etc.

Corvis nocturnum, author of Allure of the Vampire; Our Sexual attraction to the Undead
lilith_angelle
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 08:26:32 pm »

maybe pushing to the media, that we are a community and not a cult and that we know about public safety, donor safety, and the risks involved with everything relating to our community. also misrepresentation and bias by media can also be a major hinderance.
deacongray
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:05:36 am »

In the 70s and 80s the big satanism scare went hog wild. A lot of Anton Levey Satanists went out of there way to impress upon the people and media that Satanists were not the evil baby eating, rapist, human sacraficing to the dark one group that they were painted to be. It worked...well to some extent. Now the media tends to draw a line between Satanists ( that weird group of people who claim satanism but aren't) and Real Satanic Cults...of baby eating blood bathing, human killing wackos.

What they failed to see in my view was that it was the emergance of their Anton Levey Satanism that lead to the scare in the first place. Did Satanists get more respect ot treated any better as a result? Not in my view.

The same would hold true to this community. We would gather no rights, we would simply present outselves as a freak show for the bad news people to use to sale stories " Real Vampire Interview" "Dangers of Dark Vampire Cults Revealed!" and what good has come out of it?

Sorry in my view this whole Vampyre Rights crap is True Blood hype that accomplish nothing, but might well get some people hurt.
By in large we should stay out of the spot light in my view. Sure, write the books...but seriously stop trying to explain things that don't and refuse to understand
Deacon Gray
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 03:50:09 pm »

For better or worse the media has already had its way with the vampire icon.  Currently it seems a few latecommers are trying to cash in on the fad which in Hollywood circles has probably already peaked.

I would think the question now becomes less theoretical and more practical.

For example the media will probably not bother with the every day functional vamps, but focus on the gaudy extreeme folks who will gain ratings in a saturated market.  This of course leads to a heavily seeped public perception.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 10:07:30 pm »

I agree with what paindancer just said. The media loves a good story, and will probably focus on those few who commit crimes, using the "well I attacked that person because I'm a vampire" line. The public as a whole loves a good, juicy story, and plain everyday folks just aren't that interesting unless something unfortunate happens to them. Although... with all the hype and stigma attached to the word "vampire", there's a pretty good chance that we can make a good name for ourselves early on. I saw a special on real vampires on the History channel last year. They interviewed several people who would probably be considered leaders or at least forerunners in the vampire community. I know Michelle Belanger was on it, I think Don Henrie was on, and a guy with hair dyed yellow and fang implants (I've been trying for an hour to remember the name he went by), and they were talking about psi and sang vampires in plain english. What I kept thinking was "good for history channel for having the guts to air such a program, and good for those people I mentioned for having the guts to openly talk about it on a nationally televised program." If anything, we need more of this, I think.

After a long and painful absence, I am finding my way once more back to the arms of Goddess.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: