AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 12, 2020, 11:43:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  AVA Discussion: Adoption Of Media/Fiction Aesthetic & Behavioral Stereotypes? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: AVA Discussion: Adoption Of Media/Fiction Aesthetic & Behavioral Stereotypes?  (Read 13050 times)
WingedWolfPsion
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 04:03:14 pm »

Every activity in life can be a doorway for predators, you most certainly need to keep an eye on your kids, but that isn't the same as preventing them from participating in these activities.

The times have nothing to do with it.  It's no different now than it's always been, for teenagers (since the time when they were married at age 12, anyhow).  The difference now is that people talk about it.  As for teens on anti-depressants...the ones I've asked had no idea why they were depressed, but it certainly didn't have anything to do with a lost love, or school bullies.  I would gather than teens get depressed for the same reasons that adults do--chemical imbalances and emotional traumas.

If your kids have hit their teens without realizing that life isn't always what you want it to be, you've made a mistake already.

I think a generation of paranoid people is being raised by overprotective parents who have been scared by the media, and are passing on their fears to their kids.  That is not healthy.  Kids who are taught that type of fear suffer real consequences for it, lasting ones.  It can effect their emotional health for the rest of their life.  That right THERE may be the cause of much depression.  Kids cannot learn valuable life skills without being given the chance to practice them--that includes being permitted to make their own judgements about situations and people.  Yes, you should be there to help if they screw up, but you have to let them try it on their own, or they'll never learn how.

As for roleplaying games, make it a family activity.  RPGs are an excellent way to explore a variety of scary scenarios in a safe environment.  They can teach kids how to solve problems, how to deal with adversity, and of course, creative thinking!

--Winged Wolf
Home page: www.wingedwolfpsion.com
Metaphysical business:  www.eclipsemetaphysical.com
Reptile business:  www.eclipseexotics.com
Follow my Twitters:  WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics
TaylorPhoenix
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 09:55:44 pm »

Starting to blur! I think it started blurred and just got worse from there. The near inability to distinguish between the Goth scene and the real vampire community has long been a source of frustration for those among us who do not participate in that scene. The pressure is felt to "goth it up" in order to get into these circles just as a means of getting in contact with other vampires. I think that there is a reason why it started out blurred in the first place and that is in the early days it was next to impossible to get a roomful of vampires to even utter the words "I think I am a real vampire" to themselves further more to each other, so it largely manifested itself as just dressing it up and playing the part, a few friends and others indulging some innoccent fantasy, until enough time had passed that these individuals became comfortable enough with themselves and each other to start to talk about it in real terms, but by that time the seeds of fantasy had already been planted and the costume and character crowd had already signed onboard. This early inner cirlce if I can call them that had found themselves surrounded by people who just liked to play the part as a means of escape, but by now they were wanting to talk about something serious and real, and had found themselves in a club and party scene that had taken on a life of its own. Lifestylers and role players have near irreversibly contaminated the ability of the real vampire community to separate itself from the scene as a whole, and have fueled this compulsive tendency for us to shrowd everything vampire in a larger goth industrial music scene. But the crossover of the scene aesthetic into the public eye has been detrimental to us in my opinion, not that there is anything wrong with the subcultural aesthetic itself, but rather that it invites eye rolls that every vampire almost anyone outside of the community has ever met is also a goth kid. That is the stereotype that we put ourselves in that makes it easy for people to write us off and pigeon hole us. Not that I am asking that anyone change themselves for the sake of others, but for those of us who intend to take an active role in bringing the real vampire community mainstream I have adopted what I like to call the "reformed look." I myself am the child of goth, punk, anarchist, hardcore and riot grrrl subculture, but have found a way to tone it down in a way that allows me to still maintain my "edgeiness" for lack of a better word, but at the same time still be able to approach mainstream society and be taken seriously, while having a unique flare. Think about how many young professionals working for progressive companies like Google can have pink hair cut in the asymetrical fashion, with little eyelet gauges in their ears that isn't obnoxiously large and still keep their jobs, because it doesn't have anything to do with their ability to do their jobs. Corporate America in particular, and society in general are becoming a lot more leaniant when it comes to progressive workplace looks, and a lot of them can be pulled off and still be satisfying to ones need for self-identity. Walking that line also helps push the envelope for future generations and I find it to be rewarding in the way that I can be myself to a point, and still be taken serioulsy. If I just goth or punk out, everything that I say will be thrown in a mental trash can because in essence "I am just a freak."

Reformed Look- think Don Henrie circa 2008 Tyra Banks Halloween Special, versus Don Henrie Mad Mad House. A pair of black slacks, and a black button up complete with the aire of your personality will do just as well in sending the message of how you identify as dressing up like Marilyn Manson's missing band mates.
childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 10:00:00 pm »

I don't fit any particular 'vampire stereotype' that I know of. As I type this, I'm wearing a red shirt with a picture of a stick figure and the words "pull my finger" next to it that I found in a free box at a yard sale, and sweat pants that I got at a church for free in a pile of other clothes in exchange for working for them for a day. I typically wear blue jeans and a shirt like this or some variety of Metallica shirt (I have 35 different Metallica shirts, 10 different Pink Floyd shirts, some Led Zeppelin shirts, some Tool shirts, and some nice looking dress up shirts for job interviews) on a day to day basis. I wear glasses and chapstick and no makeup. I wear 3 rings (wedding ring, engagement ring, and my mother in law's ring that she gave me), 2 pair of earrings (metallica ninja star studs and a pair of dangly silver cameos from my grandma) and one necklace (triple moon pendant set with moonstone from azuregreen.com)  and no other jewelry. I don't wear nail polish because it makes my nails chip, and goddess knows they don't need any help breaking. I'm short, slightly heavy, vegetarian (mostly. there's only so much one can do on food stamps), married, average. No one looking at me would think "hey, she's a vampire". I'm not hiding; I just think it's no ones business unless I make it their business. If I fit any stereotype, I'd probably be a hippie. The only 'typical' vampiric trait that I show outwardly is a total mistrust of anyone I meet. I've been screwed over too many times, trusted too many people and had them stab me in the back, lie to me, lie about me to my family, cheat me, and steal from me, for me to trust anyone who isn't my husband, my dad, my sister, my grandma, or myself. I don't hate the world. I genuinely care about it. I just don't let the world in anymore.

After a long and painful absence, I am finding my way once more back to the arms of Goddess.
Rose
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 12:24:47 pm »

To my knowledge, owning a pair of goth boots has nothing to do with vampirism, and certainly does not disqualify someone.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: