AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:25:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  AVA Discussion: Community Solidarity? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: AVA Discussion: Community Solidarity?  (Read 30404 times)
Demzon
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »

A competent and solid leadership helps bring that collaborative environment in to existence. Thats sort of how things work most effectively when throwing a bunch of strangers in to a group, even when the goals are clear.

Alison Demzon
dba: Demzon Creations
Demzon Creations Tracker blog
Facebook: Demzon
hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »

In that case wouldn't it be best to have a group of leaders rather than just one? In my opinion, when there is just one leader they can often let it get to their heads after a while. When there is a few leaders even the whispered voices are heard. I believe that one leader may be overburdened which is why it would be good to have a few. In mine, there are four of us. Each of us has different opinions, yet each of us are equal. We all have different skills to contribute to the group which is why it is best to have more than one leader. It makes it fair for all. Also the knowledge of a many are greater than the knowledge of one. The ones who don't necessarily want to be heard designate from there a representative voted on by all to interact with others. So while it may look like one leader, it really is not.

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
Demzon
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »

Yup, thats the essence of the term "leadership team", something that is applied in most successful businesses today. I prefer odd numbers myself as if it comes down to a stalemate a simple vote can be had to help move decision making forward with out the chance of a tie vote.
The point is that something needs to be done during this window of opportunity if any thing is to be done. By what I see happening in society I would say there is only about 5-10 years of a chance to be taken as serious people and not insane. I've been thinking about this quite a bit, as will be evident in a day or three here, and we have a chance right now. I would very much draw parallels to the movement by the LGBT community in that previous to the push they made homosexuality was considered a mental illness as well.
So to keep this short and go back to the original question; yes, a good number of us do want something and have a long term goal. That goal is this: To be considered normal members of society at large, and no longer people to be shunned and in hiding for fear of persecution by law enforcement or medical professionals. That has always been my goal at least, and I got very side tracked from it for a long time.

Alison Demzon
dba: Demzon Creations
Demzon Creations Tracker blog
Facebook: Demzon
Lazarus
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 06:45:22 PM »

Honestly I dont know. for many the vampire community serves as a support tool for helping answer questions and provide safe guidelines. from there its real use and function are still very much up in the air. every human has a need for acceptance in some way or another, many vampires feels very isolated because of their nature and so the community is a way for them to feel less isolated by being around those that understand them. however there are probably as many vampires who are knowledgeable and content with their condition that manage to live totally normal social lives with non vampires and dont really have as much of a need for fellow vampire socializing. you certainly dont see lung cancer patients hanging out with each other just for shits and giggles, yeah maybe during chemo, but after they get over thier condition and learn to live with the after effect I imagine very few of them actually stay in close relationships with fellow patients other than the occasional cancer survivor meetup. as so stated by many people here there is also an issue of leadership, which is more complicated than I wish to write about, I have seen leaders of the vampire community rise and fall and rise again.

Personally I think we should stick to the practices of our predecessors and keep ourselves more hidden from the world as over exposure just tends to cause more drama than needed for us. At the same time I also believe it necessary for us to have some kind of public outlet in order for the newly awakened to be able to find their way. all and all I am not very decided about this issue, just my thoughts.

Lazarus

Lazarus
lisby08
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »

You are people like all else. Some of you of course have a little upswing in other areas of yourselves. My mama always told me: people of the world overall, are frightened, cynical, hypocritical people. They are afraid,fight and live for the unknown. Some fight and or live  for religion. Others afraid of it. The same goes for Vampyrism and being black, white , Pink w/ purple polka dots, Gay, well everything. All Large groups make their mark somehow. Don't think just within the community. think world wide. What things can be done with this many voices to help people hear you as people. Not as " OMG It's a vampyre." I have been watching for a year now,wading out the role playing to see truth. I understand the reality of it. I have also found a lot in common with myself. Again, I am not a vampyre,Just an opinion that is there.    Embarrassed

LISBY
hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 11:31:57 PM »

That's why I to me...it really doesn't matter if we are in the public eye or not...the only thing that matters is if we are, it better be for a good impression and not for anymore bad ones. I myself am content with only having you lovely people to talk to and my closest friends to confide in. Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all.

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
Laura202
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 12:19:08 AM »

The pagan community has alot more solidarity. Look at Lillydale and Cassadaga.  It would be amazing to see an actual place like that for us. I realize some Vampires like to be solitary, like some Wiccans. There are others of us that would like to see more interaction and communication amongst our leaders. There are more of us coming out of the coffin. I truly don't now who to ask questions or speak with. We are to vague across the board. It gives the message we are ashamed of who and what we are.

Celestia L
hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 03:43:37 PM »

I am not ashamed of who I am, I would just rather live a peaceful life. If it did happen to come out that I was who I was, I would not deny it and I would be alright. But I would never go out of my way to let someone know. If anyone in my group decided to make us public then oh well it happened. That is where I stand as of now. Nobody should ever be ashamed of who they are. After all we are all unique and there is only one of us in the world.

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
Lazarus
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 06:56:01 PM »

There are many things I am not yet sure of concerning`this topic, however there is one thing I am sure of I think we would all agree with. If we were to go public, we should certainly not do so before we are properly organized and there is established leadership and guide lines for the ENTIRE community, or at least in the US for now. To do so would immediately lend to our incredibility and is bound to cause tragedy for the community in general.

We are at a delicate time right now and we must ask ourselves several things; what EXACTLY is it that defines us, and more importantly, what function do we serve to the world, how are we useful to civilization? Without knowing these things how could we possibly expect to form a strong and functioning community for the actual benefit of each other. In order for any  group of individuals to be prosperous and maintainable it has to serve a function and have a strong sense of identity. I think without this we will never find solid leadership or successful organization. They are the oldest questions in the world, that at some point everyone must ask them selves, " who am I?" ,"Why am I here?" until we are able to answer this collectively, we cannot move forward.

However, that does not mean that these are questions that cannot be answered, so far much of the online community has been an effort to do just this, I think it is simply time that there was a large scale communication of all the vampires around the country in order to try and establish definitions and goals and things of that nature. however pulling that off would certainly be a magic trick even chris angel would marvel at, but again, nothing is impossible. perhaps just the right one of us will come up with a brilliant idea that will be a rallying call for all of us, who knows.

Until then I am content with remaining hidden from the world, the quality of ones life is ultimately up to their own perception

Lazarus

Lazarus
Dantess
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »

I too think it is probably to soon, but I do think we should be noticed, and respected and show the world that we are not monsters, and that we are basically like everyone else. I feel when that day comes we should all work together, and hopefully help the world out as well that is my goal is our Earth. Everything should revolve around Respect.

I Live for Love.
HighPriestesschar
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 12:10:14 PM »

I totally agree, I live in a area that I wold have to invite my vampire friend to come out for one of my events or classes.and I would have  accommidations for them.I live in almost rual town. and the end of the city bus line.So what does that say about my town.I love it tough peacful.I'd love to have people come out for Halloween to payson utah. I would like to meet my Vampire friends face to face instead on the phone or on the net.
The following is a question that was posed for group discussion at TWILIGHT II in Atlanta, GA this past March 2008.  I'd like to continue the discussion here on the AVA forum to gather everyone's opinion and input on the particular subject.  Please answer the question (all parts) below and offer your perspective!

Community Solidarity?

Discussion:
The vampire community is made of a very diverse group of individuals whom have very different life goals and ideals.  The community was founded with vampires in mind, and our goals have always been internal - sharing information, support and ideas among ourselves.  The vampire community still mostly exists as an intellectual and informational venue with a few isolated forays out into the "real world."  We have never, as a group, asked anything of the larger world, not even acceptance of our right to exist.  And we all know that getting a group of vampires to agree on anything is like herding cats.  Is there anything we could, would, or should want to accomplish as a large group of people, other than finding each other and holding parties and discussion panels?  Do we have any shared social goals?  If so, what are they, and how can we go about accomplishing them?  Do we have shared interests outside of vampire-specific studies and support?

Peace,love and harmony...Blessed Be...High Priestess Char
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: