AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 14, 2020, 05:47:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  AVA Discussion: Community Solidarity? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: AVA Discussion: Community Solidarity?  (Read 18570 times)
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« on: March 27, 2008, 02:39:44 pm »

The following is a question that was posed for group discussion at TWILIGHT II in Atlanta, GA this past March 2008.  I'd like to continue the discussion here on the AVA forum to gather everyone's opinion and input on the particular subject.  Please answer the question (all parts) below and offer your perspective!

Community Solidarity?

Discussion:
The vampire community is made of a very diverse group of individuals whom have very different life goals and ideals.  The community was founded with vampires in mind, and our goals have always been internal - sharing information, support and ideas among ourselves.  The vampire community still mostly exists as an intellectual and informational venue with a few isolated forays out into the "real world."  We have never, as a group, asked anything of the larger world, not even acceptance of our right to exist.  And we all know that getting a group of vampires to agree on anything is like herding cats.  Is there anything we could, would, or should want to accomplish as a large group of people, other than finding each other and holding parties and discussion panels?  Do we have any shared social goals?  If so, what are they, and how can we go about accomplishing them?  Do we have shared interests outside of vampire-specific studies and support?

Vabieon
Level 1 Contributor

Owner of I.C.

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:31:02 pm »

Now that's a good question. One noone has commented on but I feel should be acknowledged. Many of us have familys, jobs, and non vampiric social lives. I'm interested in many different things, for instance fine & digital arts and web and graphic design, music, online dj'ing, self help groups. Also alternative chats, 2 and 3d. "Would be cool if there were some vamp programmers out there that created an alternative chat exclusive for the OVC.  It would be nice to know what others were interested in outside of the vampiric community and see if theres in common goals, ideas.

Things that interest me:

Are there any vampire artists, programmers or computer geeks out there?

Perhaps putting talents together, creating, raising money for future vampire friendly 3d chat software programs.

figment
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:50:26 pm »

"Is there anything we could, would, or should want to accomplish as a large group of people, other than finding each other and holding parties and discussion panels?"

No.

We should practice discretion and privacy.
de libre
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:32:44 pm »

Open up to the medical field, do more testing...sounds nuts I know, but I am stubborn. I agree with the herding cats, people want to remain private, can't disagree with them seeing as they have things that they value like relationships of family, friends and jobs to uphold.

But I also think it's out there and we need to progress, not in a fashion statement, mainly medical looking into the aspects. Keep it simple, is the name of the game here. Forget talk shows on tyra or anything like that...this isn't a talk show...it's people's way of life.

But it doesn't bother me that we don't have all the answers, learning is a part of life, always ready to soak up more!
ClayCat
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 01:25:19 am »

While the medical research idea is a good one, I think there would be a lot of resistance from people in the community for a variety of reasons, unless their identities and test results could be kept private, even from each other.

Besides the possibility of unwanted exposure of participants, there is also the real possibility that it would become possible to identify who is and is not really a vampire by medical means. This would mean that some people who are attached to the label would have to give it up. To some of us, that would not be a big deal, but others have a lot of time, energy and self image invested in the community.
Altheia
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:44:14 pm »

That's the problem, isn't it? Is it possible to identify a real vampire with medical means?
I would say no... cause there are no such medical equipments to identify a vampyre now, cause so far it wasn't necessary... and it won't be during the next years.
Who really wants to know that? It's only our attempt to find out... the attempt of other vampyres to find out why... the reason why we are what we are.
The reason why we feel something is different...
But of course someday also the other humans want to know what is the difference between humans and vampyres... it's natural...
If I've got to give the answer I would say it's the Darwinism Evolution... I've got my personal reasons for that.... (reasons which are medical proved, but not to be discussed that openly. you want to know why...? please just ask...)
The human kind is developing... and compared to many thousand years ago we are quite alike now. But we should never forget that there were always the predators and the gatherers in the human species... That's something everyone should know: that some million years ago there were humans who were the predators and humans who were the gatherers. And the evolution decided who would survive. But what if the evolution did never decide that... if that's an ambivalence which is actual in existance?
That's just my two cents to that question.
hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 06:06:01 am »

I don't think I would have any clue as to a common goal. My goals are all save wildlife and save the earth related. I'm fairly sure not everyone is into the green movement. I think everyone would have different goals. Most people would not even agree on speaking in public let along announcing to the world their goals as vampires.

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:08:18 pm »

To be honest, without fact and research behind it, vampirism falls into being just an excercise in roleplay for too many people.

Being that a lot of people claiming to be vampires, arent, and they know it, and couple in the face that a lot of them claim vampirism because it makes them feel special or important, its no wonder where many would resist exposing it.

AVA did a great job with the survey way back, and are still mining information from it.  I 100% applaud this, and no.. the vampire police will not come and get you if there is public acknowledgment.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Sfinelli3
Level 5 Contributor

There was a boy. A very strange, enchanted boy.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 08:48:32 pm »

I would gladly be the spokes person for all of the Vampire community.  I think it is time for the public to know who we really are.  they have become much more open minded in the past few years with all of the supernatural crazes going about.  I would do an interview with any news station saying yes I am a vampire, this is what I do, and this is who I am, and all that crap is just myth.  ^_^

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.
belovedofdeath
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 07:47:08 am »

I would gladly be the spokes person for all of the Vampire community.  I think it is time for the public to know who we really are.  they have become much more open minded in the past few years with all of the supernatural crazes going about.  I would do an interview with any news station saying yes I am a vampire, this is what I do, and this is who I am, and all that crap is just myth.  ^_^

Keep in mind that the public wants a pretty face, too. :/  So who ever we were to pick, so to say, would have to be "prettier than Edward" because, well, our society is shallow like that. :\
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 11:57:50 am »

Actually, there are a lot of documentaries going on.

My wife and I were approached a few months back about being part of one.  I ran into another crew filming at a fetish club.  The conversation was entertaining.

Crew Guy:  Hi!  This is a really cool place!  I heard there were going to be vampires here, do you know anything about that?

Me:  Its Los Angeles.  There is a pretty strong vampiric community here.

Crew Guy:  Wow!  So, like will there be people bleeding and drinking blood then?

Me:  Probably not.  There might be a flesh suspension later on tonight, but its not really a vampric thing.. more of spiritual art.

Crew Guy:  Oh... well they should be pretty easy to spot right, super gothed out, capes and such?

Me:  I suppose.  Never really can tell.  You might end up having a conversation with one tonight and not even know it.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Stellar
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 12:10:27 pm »

No offense, but I would hope that you would wait till you graduate from High school, college, and have lived enough of your life to be sure of your actions. Time and experience would also greatly benefit you. You do not know yet what life has in store for you.  In a few years time, you may wake up and realize that you are a completely different person from the person that you are today. Not to say that your vampirism is fleeting, but people change, and you will too. What is important to you today will differ from what s important to you a year from now or ten years from now. Your life will undoubtedly be different.

Always think long and hard about what you wish to do. So hard that you think your head will explode, and once you've weighed the pro's and con's mightily... act.

Stellar
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 12:42:20 pm »

The following comment is relevant to my last post.

I just posted the new collective video on forum. It provides some relevant advice about the media. Please watch it.

Link: http://www.atlantavampirealliance.com/forum/index.php?topic=954.msg7398;topicseen#msg7398
Sunshine1626
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:51:04 am »

The problem is that only someone who has a "normal" life could seem sane to almost everyone when in an interview. And those with a normal life most likely couldn't be a national spokes person without losing their job/family/friends.
Online it's easy for people with normal lives to congrigate with those like them, but if their face was on national TV their lives probably won't be the same again.
Sfinelli3
Level 5 Contributor

There was a boy. A very strange, enchanted boy.

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 08:53:11 am »

Keep in mind that the public wants a pretty face, too. :/  So who ever we were to pick, so to say, would have to be "prettier than Edward" because, well, our society is shallow like that. :\

Hehe, that's funny, people tell me I look like him.  I am a performer anyway so I keep myself looking as good as possible if I can.  Also, that way, I wouldn't be nervous in front of the camera and seem strange to the people watching.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: