AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 07:38:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  11.13.11 - Vampire Reality Bites For Channel 4 - Teenage Vampires Documentary 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 11.13.11 - Vampire Reality Bites For Channel 4 - Teenage Vampires Documentary  (Read 23807 times)
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« on: November 02, 2011, 05:26:48 pm »

Statement To Media & Interested Parties - November 14, 2011:

The Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA] is abhorred after viewing the content depicted in this documentary.  The real vampire community and self-identified real vampires do not condone such reckless and dangerous blood sharing practices.  The adults, "vampires", "donors", and documentary film crew responsible for this film should be ashamed of their actions and held accountable as provided by law.

The Vampiric Ethos:  http://www.atlantavampirealliance.com/educational/ethicalguidelines.html

Real Vampire Community Personal Safety & Privacy Awareness:  http://www.atlantavampirealliance.com/educational/safetyprivacyawareness.html

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-11-02/vampire-reality-bites-for-channel-4

Vampire Reality Bites For Channel 4
William Gallagher
11:30 AM, 02 November 2011

File this one under the regular Channel 4 category of a documentary that sounds like it's going to be a joke, but is serious and may turn out to be fascinating: Teenage Vampires will air next week.

It's about what the channel calls "a new phenomenon of bloodthirsty real-life teen vampires" that are presumably the result of how "vampires are being resurrected across popular culture from Twilight to True Blood". It's not just films and TV, there's also a part for the internet to play as it brings together these teens in "packs".

The film will look at the whole subculture by focusing on two people in Texas: Michal, who says she realised she was a vampire in her early teens, and David, who has been "out of the coffin" since he was 12.

They both drink blood, they both call themselves vampires and they also hang out with a group called the Crimson Blood Wolf Pack. This is just one of several packs around San Antonio, Texas, and while each is a mix of self-proclaimed vampires and werewolves, each takes itself and its members totally seriously.

You're judging these people already but that's the other point of the film: it's about prejudice and why we cling together under names and groups we choose to belong to.

It's also about being the parent of a teenage vampire, the questions they have for their children and the questions they have for themselves about why they resist being human.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/teenage-vampires

Channel 4 Press Release - November 1, 2011:

Vampires are being resurrected across popular culture from Twilight to True Blood - spawning a new phenomenon of bloodthirsty real-life teen vampires. The internet is helping to bring together those with an interest in the occult - forming vampire cults. Filming with a ‘pack' of teens from San Antonio, Texas, the documentary follows the ‘vampires' in their daily lives, observing everything from friends and family to feeding, all to get a deeper understanding of what draws these young people to ‘vampires' or ‘wolves'.

Michal is 18 and realised she was a vampire in her early teens. She drinks blood, but only manages it about once a month and says it tastes metallic - ‘of pennies, salt and rust' and drinking it gives Michal a high. One of her best friends, 17-year-old David is also a vampire and has been ‘out of the coffin' since the age of 12. He also drinks blood and feeding for him is an intimate event, something he only does from female donors - a situation that can cause jealousy with his long-term girlfriend.

David and Michal identify themselves as vampires but they hang out with a larger group called the ‘Crimson Blood Wolf Pack', a self-defined posse of werewolves and one of several packs scattered around the city. However different and eccentric these young vampires may appear, they take themselves deadly seriously.

Hanging with the pack, the film makers hear about the prejudice they have faced from a public that doesn't approve of kids wanting to be different. The teens also give honest and emotional accounts about their grief when such intolerance pushed one of the wolves to suicide. The documentary gives insight of what being in the pack offers - support, friendship, love - and even people willing to give you their blood.

Looking back to the teens' childhoods, their parents and guardians consider the difficult experiences that have marked them, leading to poignant questions about why they might not want to be human.

Prod Co: Blast! Films
Prod/Dir: Abigaile Priddle
Exec Prod: Ed Coulthard
Comm Ed: Aysha Rafaele

Documentary Airs Sunday, November 13, 2011 @ 23:05

AVA Staff
Administrator
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:20:11 pm »

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/teenage-vampires/4od

[VIDEO] - See Channel 4 Website

Teenage Vampires
November 13, 2011

Vampires are being resurrected across popular culture from Twilight to True Blood, spawning a new phenomenon of bloodthirsty real-life teen vampires.

The internet is helping to bring together those with an interest in the occult, some of whom are forming vampire cults.

Filming with a 'pack' of teens from San Antonio, Texas, this documentary follows the 'vampires' in their daily lives, observing everything from friends and family to feeding, all to get a deeper understanding of what draws these young people to 'vampires' or 'wolves'.

Michal is 18 and realised she was a vampire in her early teens. She drinks blood, but only manages it about once a month and says it tastes metallic - 'of pennies, salt and rust' - and that drinking it gives her a high.

One of her best friends, 17-year-old David, is also a vampire and has been 'out of the coffin' since the age of 12. He also drinks blood, and feeding for him is an intimate event, something he only does from female donors: a situation that can cause jealousy with his long-term girlfriend.

David and Michal identify themselves as vampires but they hang out with a larger group called the 'Crimson Blood Wolf Pack', a self-defined posse of werewolves and one of several packs scattered around the city.

However different and eccentric these young vampires may appear, they take themselves deadly seriously. Hanging with the pack, the film makers hear about the prejudice they have faced from a public that doesn't approve of kids wanting to be different.

The teens also give honest and emotional accounts about their grief when such intolerance pushed one of the wolves to suicide.

The documentary gives an insight into what being in the pack offers: support, friendship, love - and even people willing to give you their blood.

Looking back to the teens' childhoods, their parents and guardians consider the difficult experiences that have marked them, leading to poignant questions about why they might not want to be human.
Vodalok
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:48:15 pm »

I'M into the second part of this at this time and am really upset by the parents seeming acceptance of the behavior of The children. encouraging them to cut themselves and others. she's acting like their best friend not their parent... gods. how can that woman call herself a mother and let these kids do this? how can she encourage it? and the film crew just watch's, the woman doing the documentary... watch's@! how?

My question to all of you is how do we respond if at all to this. is there a way to educate those out there on the fringes like these kids so we can prevent this sort of thing from happening?

This kid David is the most upsetting of the lot of them. He feels like a powder keg ready to blow. and his own words of how much he likes to feel his knife tear into flesh and how much he likes to see people bleed...

I'm stunned by all this. just stunned.

I was never so reckless growing up knowing what I am... never.
legardored
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:13:02 pm »

The crew did its job and morally wrong or not I doubt they hired people who get nightmares because of this. I have heard/seen worse but that does not change anything about how sad this situation is. It is clear these kids have had the wrong teachings from there parents. Suppose these kids really need blood consumption for energy than neither the kids or the parents have done there homework. Another thing is why in heaven sake has no one raised a alarm. They are literally riddled with scars. I can think of dozens of situations someone must have seen it. I highly doubt they all were as openminded thinking as the parents.

This will go wrong for one of those in the group or several. Blood infection, suicide rage or another disaster flavor the ingredients are there already its just a timebomb now. Cruel as it may sound I had high hopes in the middle of the documentary it would go wrong. Atleast that way it would be clear for just once this is not a game and people are playing with there lifes. But this is just a easy shock seller for some media company. It sadly has no real value. Worst is yet to come for the kids and parents because less openminded people in there vicinity will react on it if they see it. The less people see this or hear about it the better. Knowing in what kind of society we live thats false hope offcourse.

#In responce to Vodalok.
Unless your a big influence in someones life already there isn't a thing that will prevent events as described in the article. We can be as open about it as we want but people will still hold onto there own beliefs and thoughts. You have more luck winning the lottery twice than finding a media company willing to produce a dull documentary which is full of faqs rather than shock. Shock/drama sells truth doesn't thats the cold hard reality.

Incase you do have people in the vicinity you know off that exhibit this kind of behaviour. My advice listen to them and when they are done talking tell them your opinion. The biggest reason we have these kind of things happening is because people stop listening to others.

If they take any advice good if they don't it is there responsibility and of those in charge of them. You can only help those who are open for it.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:58:18 pm »

Kind of got this vibe from them in the brief discussions I had with them.  Pity.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Necryn
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:29:14 am »

If they're affiliated with the Crimson Blood Wolf Pack, this kind of thing is to be expected.  The Crimson Blood Wolf Pack has a bad reputation.  If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's Wolfie Blackheart's pack.  She's the one that mutilated the head of a dead dog that happened to be someone's pet, and they've been on the news before:  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q77sJT8O56E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q77sJT8O56E</a>
moonlitanna
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:33:23 am »

The mother in this documentary should be arrested.
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 09:00:38 pm »

"Teenage Vampires/Wolves" Documentary Rant
By OtherkinRaz - November 16, 2011

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yZAoB-bKL_c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/yZAoB-bKL_c</a>

Video Is Now Private

hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 01:08:30 am »

This is so very wrong. Once again it is the media trying to pull in shock value. These teens are going to be picked on in school and probably scorned by their family members (other than the weird ones that are letting them do this).

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:54 am »

The adults (parents) are too preoccupied with enabling (as clearly evidenced in this documentary) and sadly many of the members of the CBWP are now 17-21 and entering college. When "older" therians/vampires/etc. reached out to Wolfie and others after they gained national attention for the Rigsby incident most e-mails and social networking attempts towards contact went unanswered and constructive critiques and encouragement ignored.

Also culpable is Abigail Priddle (the producer) who was contacted by dozens of "older" vampires and academic scholars before she even made contact with Michal or the CBWP and chose to ignore every resource she had at her disposal. Independent production companies (generally not those producing for major networks - A&E/National Geographic/History/etc.) seeking to film reality-based programming will almost universally seek the most sensationalist portrayal of a subculture they can find.

However, their behavior does not excuse the actions of those who appear or speak on camera; especially in the manner depicted here where even the most basic of safety measures were ignored. Not to mention statements made that "vampires" have easy access to blood donors through "underage kids" who cut themselves and a parent on camera encouraging their child to slash their arm with a pocket folding knife that was rinsed in the kitchen sink so that others in the room could drink their blood from the wound.

DRAGON
Level 2 Contributor

THIS IS ME A REAL VAMPIRE FROM COLOMBIA

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 12:39:53 pm »

As I see it from my point of view this television show, i got to say i have not seen this show , but from the reactions, that i have read i can say that this event and many other events such as the murders in which vampires  are to  blame and  others that  have happened in recent months are a clear demonstration of the ignorance of the American people and their lifestyle, they try to  show a reality that exists but  is not  the true reality, it is concerning to the point that there are  young  people  who wish to enter a world that is not made for them, both  wolves  and vampirie are conditions that are generated from something called lineage and should not be taken lightly, I think there must be some mechanism to make these people see what they are doing is wrong.
as a last resort I think the vampire community must act strongly  towards this kind of acts.
 thank you

I AM  A COLOMBIAN VAMPIRE AND I AM THE ONLY ONE IN MY CITY
moonlitanna
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 08:48:01 pm »

As I see it from my point of view this television show, i got to say i have not seen this show , but from the reactions, that i have read i can say that this event and many other events such as the murders in which vampires  are to  blame and  others that  have happened in recent months are a clear demonstration of the ignorance of the American people and their lifestyle, they try to  show a reality that exists but  is not  the true reality, it is concerning to the point that there are  young  people  who wish to enter a world that is not made for them, both  wolves  and vampirie are conditions that are generated from something called lineage and should not be taken lightly, I think there must be some mechanism to make these people see what they are doing is wrong.
as a last resort I think the vampire community must act strongly  towards this kind of acts.
 thank you

The documentary staff and channel it was broadcast on are not American...
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 11:47:51 am »

The Teenage Vampires Documentary on Channel 4 UK was viewed by thousands of persons living in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and other countries in Europe.  In order to address (at least in some small measure) the inexcusable depictions of "real vampires" (and members of the Crimson Blood Wolf Pack) using unsanitary and dangerous methods to extract blood, the following article has been published through Yahoo UK & Ireland.

Twilight Debunked: A Vampire Expert On The Truth About Vampire Lore
Yahoo Lifestyle UK - By Tamara Hinson - November 17, 2011

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/twilight-debunked--a-real-life-vampire-on-the-truth-about-vampire-lore.html

"...“Drawing blood through biting isn’t safe,” points out Merticus. “Medical lancets and sterilised blades are often used for extracting blood from donors. A sanguinarian vampire will be very concerned with the donor’s health and the blood being free from disease and parasites - we require screening and medical evaluation of our donors..."

legardored
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 02:45:06 pm »

Merticus I appreciate the attempt to calm the mass about what is portrayed in that really horrible shockdoc. But as you might see from the comments the Yahoo audience isn't interested in constructive articles about vampires. It is sadly a perfect example how closeminded and quick judging people can be. And although there are some mildly entertaining comments in it. I will quote the more intelligent once. (hard to find in there)

“Sanguinarian or psychic vampires are individuals who cannot adequately sustain their own physical, mental, or spiritual wellbeing without the taking of blood or vital life force energy from other sources. Without feeding a vampire will become lethargic, sickly and depressed,”
- Sounds more like your average politician to me.

I once knew sombody who claimed to be a vampire. At first I was sceptical but then though that i should approach the situation with an open mind and using a scientific approach I discovered that he was telling the truth I drove a stake through his heard, chopped off his head and stuffed his mouth with garlic and what do you know....it killed him. Vampires do exist...FACT

I am curious how this will influence the horrible publicity the documentary gives as this one is about Twillight and the reader in no way could know the link between the documentary unless they already knew about the shock it caused in the OVC. That said its a well written article/interview and a thanks to Tamara Hinson for being a openminded editor.
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 04:52:46 pm »

Therin lies one of the most common misconceptions by those inside (and outside) the vampire community.  When I engage the media in interviews or articles it's not done so from desire to "change the hearts and minds of the readers" or to sway public opinion concerning the existence of 'real' vampires.  Naivety is a trait which has fortunately escaped me when managing public sentiment and navigating community politics is concerned.  The comments on the Yahoo article are comic relief and this is why time was only invested into one reply thread (see most commented section).  This interview was given for the now 40+ e-mails I've received from predominately young people in the United Kingdom interested in learning more about vampirism and the vampire community.  I'd rather them make contact with individuals such as myself than the CBWP.

One could surmise that at least some of the same people who viewed the documentary also read the article.  If just one person walks away with the knowledge that responsible real vampires don't engage in the acts depicted in the Teenage Vampires documentary and thereby doesn't travel down the path of harming themselves or others in the process; then I consider this effort a success.  It's now on the record in a UK-based article that the methods used by real vampires are contradictory to the one's shown on their televisions last week.  That's enough for me Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: