AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2019, 06:23:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19895 Posts in 2601 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  05.18.11 - Is It Time To Drop The Name Vampyre? - By Hawkmoor 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 05.18.11 - Is It Time To Drop The Name Vampyre? - By Hawkmoor  (Read 1816 times)
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« on: May 18, 2011, 06:50:00 pm »

http://hawkmoor.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/is-it-time-to-drop-the-name-vampyre/

Is it time to drop the name vampyre?
By Hawkmoor - May 18, 2011

Good evening.

Since The Infamous CJ released her article on whether or not Sanguinarians should drop the term vampire and simply use the term Sanguinarian to describe themselves at the beginning of this year, I have been wondering whether or not we should all do the same.

The article I placed here entitled  “The vampire community in the news” drew a pretty bleak picture, by way of examples, of the way that “vampires” are portrayed in the media and the associations were uniformly negative. In order that we, you and I, not be cast in a negative light that we do not deserve doesn’t it make sense that we follow CJ’s Sanguinarian lead and divorce ourselves from the term vampyre?

Further more we have seen, and been subjected to some rather extraordinary “commentary” just lately on a particular matter of organization and process in the community, as witnessed by the posted Facebook transcripts at the website of the AVA.

Are we, as a community, lacking in dignity now? Are we becoming a cyber-brawl of magnificent proportions rather than a community that is bound by the concept of progress and betterment? Are we demonstrating that the community cannot engage, productively, or proactively within itself to resolve differences?

Let’s face it, the only definition of vampire that the real-world at large has is that of a revenant who leaves their grave at night to suck the blood from the living…

Hands up how many of those are in the room, or the VC/OVC… or the world? and, if we are NOT vampires by common, global, human definition then what are we? In the article   “What IS a vampyre?” I offered links to some different community ideas on such a definition and offered a simplistic and basic form of such a definition.

The biggest question that stands is, “Do YOU want to be known as, or associated with, vampyres anymore?”

Dare I suggest we take on a different name/term; such as “Energy manipulator” or “Energy worker“, even “Energy-consumer” to cover the energy type vampyres and, as CJ suggested, “Sanguinarian” to cover the blood consumers amongst us ~ or, do we have to be anything at all? ~ Is it time to stop being “vampyres”?

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are welcome at this time but please bear in mind that the management reserves the right to not reproduce any overly-belligerent and/or abusive responses.

With compliments,
H.

paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:09:10 pm »

I have been using the term pranivore for a long time now, to be honest.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Kasada
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:00:06 am »

It was never time to start being called vampires to begin with.  The term simply does not apply, and never has.  Terms like energy worker or energy manipulator extend to a HUGE range of people who have absolutely nothing to do with this community though, because *anyone* can learn to work with energy if they want to.  "Pranavore" seems to be one of the better options I've heard, or "hemovore" / "sanguivore" for that side of the community.  Even "eater of ki" would be better than vampire, ridiculous as it sounds.

May you find a twist in your road.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: