AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 04:34:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  AVA Discussion: What Issues Are Important To Vampires & The Vampire Community? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which of the following topics are most important to you; that is to say what you'd like to see discussed on a wide scale?  Choose three (3) topics total from the sections of Awareness, Discussion, & Education.
Awareness: Media & Public Understanding Of Vampirism - 21 (17.4%)
Awareness: Polarizing & Narcissistic Egos Within The Vampire Community - 14 (11.6%)
Awareness: Subversive Vampire Cults & Dangerous Activities - 8 (6.6%)
Discussion: Increased Social Networking Within The Vampire Community - 15 (12.4%)
Discussion: Psi-Sang War & Settling Conflict Over Feeding Difference - 14 (11.6%)
Discussion: Vampire Rights & Hate Prevention - 6 (5%)
Education: Defining Vampirism & Vampire Identity - 9 (7.4%)
Education: Health Related Concerns (Physical & Mental) - 13 (10.7%)
Education: Vampirism Research (Sociological & Medical) - 21 (17.4%)
None Of The Above (Please List Other Topics In Thread) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: AVA Discussion: What Issues Are Important To Vampires & The Vampire Community?  (Read 19663 times)
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« on: November 30, 2010, 07:30:18 pm »

AVA Discussion:  What Issues Are Important To Vampires & The Vampire Community?

Which of the following topics are most important to you; that is to say what you'd like to see discussed on a wide scale?  Choose three (3) topics total from the sections of Awareness, Discussion, & Education.

[  ] Awareness: Media & Public Understanding Of Vampirism
[  ] Awareness: Polarizing & Narcissistic Egos Within The Vampire Community
[  ] Awareness: Subversive Vampire Cults & Dangerous Activities

[  ] Discussion: Increased Social Networking Within The Vampire Community
[  ] Discussion: Psi-Sang War & Settling Conflict Over Feeding Difference
[  ] Discussion: Vampire Rights & Hate Prevention

[  ] Education: Defining Vampirism & Vampire Identity
[  ] Education: Health Related Concerns (Physical & Mental)
[  ] Education: Vampirism Research (Sociological & Medical)

[  ] None Of The Above (Please List Other Topics In Thread)

You must log into the forum to vote.  You must be a registered member of this forum to vote.  If you are not a member click Register and sign up.  http://www.atlantavampirealliance.com/forum/index.php?action=register

SapphoWolf
Level 1 Contributor

It's all fun and games until Momma gets grouchy...

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:50:16 pm »

I don't think we can categorically summarize where we as a community need to focus.

Essentially, we need to figure out who and what we are first before we turn our faces to the world and demand rights as an identity group.  We need to be firm and secure in our own identity before we can expect anyone outside the community to take us seriously.  Perhaps we can begin with considering our community as one gem with many facets, our differences being those facets that bring light to the gem.

What's intriguing is that we all seem to be coming to some kind of epiphany.  We're realizing that some steps need to be taken, which is maybe the most important step of all.  A better existence is worth working for, whatever our differences and disagreements.

Now sleeps the crimson petal, now the white;
Nor waves the cypress in the palace walk;
Nor winks the gold fin in the porphyry font.
The firefly wakens; waken thou with me.

http://www.vampgeist.com
display
Level 5 Contributor

sorry, but my "Givafuk" is broken

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:48:16 pm »

I don't think we can categorically summarize where we as a community need to focus.

Essentially, we need to figure out who and what we are first before we turn our faces to the world and demand rights as an identity group.  We need to be firm and secure in our own identity before we can expect anyone outside the community to take us seriously.  Perhaps we can begin with considering our community as one gem with many facets, our differences being those facets that bring light to the gem.

What's intriguing is that we all seem to be coming to some kind of epiphany.  We're realizing that some steps need to be taken, which is maybe the most important step of all.  A better existence is worth working for, whatever our differences and disagreements.
cant say i will live to see it
Belfazaar
Level 3 Contributor

A stroll through the graveyards can be quite relax

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 01:03:37 pm »

Unfortunately, the choices listed were limited and limiting...

Epiphany?  As if this is JUST happening?  For years, there have been those, such as myself, that have been stating that we need to better identify (starting with a damned good working, living definition)...  For years it has been ignored, placed on the back burner or simply skirted around...  *shrugs*  It is as if it is not important to many members of the community, whereas it is actually one of the most important things...  It is literally the foundation of what we are which is only a fraction of who we are...

The gem line was used years ago in the gay community...  You know what concentrating on the facets did...  It caused us to lose focus on the goal of the community because we focused on our own particular little facet, trying to make it outshine the rest of the gem...  Its a crock of crap to focus on that analogy...  Like all gems, there is a flaw...

Vitae Dominae,

Belfazaar Ashantison
Founder and Elder, House of Mystic Echoes
Founder of NOVA (New Orleans Vampire Association)

"Wizard's Fourth Rule (from Temple of the Winds): "There is magic in forgiveness, the magic to heal. In forgiveness you grant, but more so, in forgiveness you receive." (Terry Goodkind from the Sword of Truth Series)
SangSavvy
Level 3 Contributor

Love is Always Fate's decision.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 01:29:25 pm »

Sappho, that's the main reason I was going to post...to say similar to what you did, although you articulated it better than I could.  :-)  

I feel like listing my votes, and the reasons for them, so I'm going to.  

For the Awareness category, I chose:
[  ] Awareness: Media & Public Understanding Of Vampirism
[X] Awareness: Polarizing & Narcissistic Egos Within The Vampire Community <-----
[  ] Awareness: Subversive Vampire Cults & Dangerous Activities

I have stated some of my feelings in the past regarding this issue.  The reason why I chose it in comparison to the other two options is based on what Sappho has already highlighted - we need to understand more about who we are before we have some way of expressing our views to the public.  I feel that we have the beginnings, however, more communication is needed with transcending the different forums, as well as promotion of structure within the body of our community.  Not just solely for the current members of the VC and OVC, but most of all for the newly awakened, who have done nothing wrong, and understandably will be continuing to come forth looking for guidance, validation, assurance, and an anchor regarding understanding who and what this nature is.  

For the Discussion catagory, I chose:
[  ] Discussion: Increased Social Networking Within The Vampire Community
[  ] Discussion: Psi-Sang War & Settling Conflict Over Feeding Difference
[X] Discussion: Vampire Rights & Hate Prevention

I don't feel social networking should be the main focus of our discussions at current, although it serves as a jumping-off point to do so.  If communication and structure are enhanced, redefined, and supported as a whole, this will fall into place and be of service.
Settling conflict over Psi/Sang wars is an important part of all the different varying conflicts, and I think it should be talked about, however I feel that the last option is prudent to overall productivity across the board.  
Discussing Vampire Rights and Hate Prevention is an especially big one.  This is something that has been bantered about for years, but my personal view is that just because this is the case, *does not mean* it needs to remain that way.  We have the power to define our community; It isn't just something that needs to continue to remain consequential, imo.  I feel that at current, there are a lot of feelings from many folks that have remained unchecked by problem solving, and that many have not and do not feel heard about, due to many different reasons.  It does stand to reason that as a result of the dynamic of the internet, it's hard to know you are on the "same page" with everyone else.  Such is the reason why I have thought the global IRC chats are very helpful, even though some spit, blood, or fur might fly.  It's a symptom of feeling unheard and unvalidated, and I think it's an imperative element to stemming the flow of hatred and negativity, and turning it around to create much more positive understandings between one another.  I also have said before that I feel the overwhelming sense of secrecy is, well, quite detrimental to bridging these gaps.  
Perhaps that given the new circumstances and changing times, a new approach and fresh outlook to the way we handle our community and the newcomers as well is needed.  

I hope I'm not going off track too much here.  

For the Education category, I chose:
[  ] Education: Defining Vampirism & Vampire Identity
[  ] Education: Health Related Concerns (Physical & Mental)
[X] Education: Vampirism Research (Sociological & Medical)

I think expansion of dissecting the surveys that were taken this past year will be very helpful to the scientific and logical aspects of what makes us vampires, and can add to the cohesiveness of who we are as a community.  I am in high appreciation of those that took the time to create the surveys, and those who continue to utilize the data collected to gain further insight into this phenomenon.  

In conclusion, I still remain feeling as though our community would benefit from a having a board of chosen leaders.  Having leaders doesn't mean that everyone else in the community needs to take offense, or feel "owned", or dictated to.  Rather, I feel having a board of leaders that work through outreach throughout all of the real vampire web forums and groups would be significant and efficient, and would lend to a goal of promoting overall belonging and confidence of understanding of who we are as an entire internet body, and also transcending into offline understanding.  It would be up to the people about whether or not they would be active participants and followers of that board of leaders, or if they chose a different path for their group/house/coven/forum, ect.  Although the internet has downsides, it serves us and our well-beings every day in some shape and form.  I think taking advantage of that via this method would be extremely beneficial and successful to setting some much-needed standards.  If in the future we do not need that board of leaders anymore, then so be it, but I feel that if we cannot achieve some clarity after all this chaos, we will end up furthering and continuing the same perpetual cycles of conflict and misunderstanding, and that's the last thing we need, especially right now.  

Blessings!

SS

paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 03:41:39 pm »

Been away a bit jet setting for work and have been noticing a lot going on as of late.  Some of the old faces doing the same dance and some new issues too.  The community is thinking again which is good but it seems some topics have begun to border on silly as well.

When considering what is worth paying attention to, it may be best to simultaneously consider what is obtainable not to mention what is the current reality vs ego and fiction based drama.

My two pints, of course.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 09:53:09 pm »

Awareness: Media & Public Understanding Of Vampirism
Education: Defining Vampirism & Vampire Identity
Education: Vampirism Research (Sociological & Medical)

I voted for these three. I think we first need to define what vampirism is. We need as complete and inclusive a definition as possible, and we need to be able to outline the basic idea of what constitutes being a true vampire and what does not. I mean seriously, can we even say for certain whether or not vampirism is a mental condition, a physical condition, a religion, or a spiritual path? That question alone would be a heck of a debate.
Once that has been accomplished, there needs to be more research into vampirism; it's traits, possible triggers, and all possible forms of treatment.
Once both of those things have been done, or at least the first one done and the second started, we can begin educating the media and public at large about ourselves. We can't possibly begin to try and curb any hate or discrimination if we can't even agree on the basics of what we are, what makes us what we are, how it affects us, and how we go about coping with it. Not saying we can't go so far as to distance ourselves from those who cause harm in the name of vampirism... we can always do that.

As far as ego, narcissism, and cults go, there are such things in every facet of life, and I don't think it should be a primary focus of the vampire community at large. Again, how can we separate ourselves from a cult if we can't even say for sure what we are? How do we begin to show anyone we're not just loners or outsiders seeking attention by claiming to be something 'bigger' or 'better' than ordinary?
Social networking doesn't seem like an immediate necessity due to the internet itself. People are more connected now than ever before in history. I mean, I can turn on skype and talk to my friend in Australia if I want to. More people are looking for information about vampires all the time .If the topic wasn't so popular -and growing even more popular- then things like the Twilight series and True Blood wouldn't exist.
I don't really understand why there would be a 'war' between psi and sang vampires. Each of us is different. We all have our own way of doing things, whether it's obtaining prana or brushing our teeth. The argument of whose method is better seems null to me. My way works for me, your way works for you. Can't we just get along?
Health issues too seem to be a moot point to me, though the risks of blood borne pathogens should never be ignored. However there isn't a person in the western world who hasn't been educated on the spread and prevention of such diseases, and to me the larger focus should be on safer and more pain free methods of obtaining blood from the donor.

After a long and painful absence, I am finding my way once more back to the arms of Goddess.
Persephone
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 05:47:28 pm »

When some people suggest we need elected leaders, I have to wonder what social awareness movement ever had elected leaders? Were there some governing bodies of the civil rights movement, gay rights movement or pagan rights movement that I never heard of?

As I recall, leaders emerged because of their commitment, focus, persuasive speech, and ability to rally others around them, not because any were elected. We love democracy, but sometimes power comes from a person's personal fire & ability, rather than from their abilty to be liked by the most people possible.
SangSavvy
Level 3 Contributor

Love is Always Fate's decision.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 12:56:10 am »

Doesn't seem the leaders want to be leaders.  Hence my reactions. 
display
Level 5 Contributor

sorry, but my "Givafuk" is broken

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 01:24:29 am »

the community is a shattered one at best... far past fragmented...
that's why the old saying goes like this: "its easier to herd cats than for vampi(y)res to agree on anything"
from the get go, the community as a whole hasn't had any sort of central leadership.. anarchy and chaos from the beginning has ruled in favor of "self rule/ self governing" cells and or pockets of smaller communitys.
Hell, we can't even decide on a true definition of this culture...

Try looking at the official definition of vampires for House AVA.. At least its a start...

You are what you are, accept it..
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 12:42:10 pm »

the community is a shattered one at best... far past fragmented...
that's why the old saying goes like this: "its easier to herd cats than for vampi(y)res to agree on anything"
from the get go, the community as a whole hasn't had any sort of central leadership.. anarchy and chaos from the beginning has ruled in favor of "self rule/ self governing" cells and or pockets of smaller communitys.
Hell, we can't even decide on a true definition of this culture...

Try looking at the official definition of vampires for House AVA.. At least its a start...

You are what you are, accept it..

My opinion follows but I think I can guess the cause for the fragmentation of the VC.  Essentially the concept of vampires is wrong.:

None of us are vampires.

At least, not in the literal term.  Rather, it is simply the closest definition available and intellectually acceptable to most.  That approximation leaves multiple avenues open to error and individual experience.

Paindancer
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 07:05:44 pm »

Technically, one could say that, coupled with, no one is a christian, no one is a catholic, no one is a muslim, no one is a pagan, etc, all on the basis that, as of late, there is no physical proof for psi vampirism whatsoever, and sang vampirism is sketchy at best.

Automotive Necromancer
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 10:27:18 am »

Technically, one could say that, coupled with, no one is a christian, no one is a catholic, no one is a muslim, no one is a pagan, etc, all on the basis that, as of late, there is no physical proof for psi vampirism whatsoever, and sang vampirism is sketchy at best.

Sorta yes in the fact that there are many historic arguments on what a "real" Christian, Muslim, vampires, etc would be.  The scenario is different especially when the proof is anecdotal primarily across the board. 

For the record, however, there is precedent for psi claims, documented in reiki, accupuncture, and various eastern and western practice.  Pranic vampirism is reasonable extension from these theories.  These are in fact more plausible and researched than many sang claims (strength, reflexes, sparkleskinB.  Regardless of where ones personal bias lies on the debate, the available data doesn't change.  That doesn't mean sang are invalid, but does raise the chance of incomplete understanding.

Paindancer
childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 03:33:09 pm »

I don't know, being christian, muslim, pagan, etc. are religious beliefs, and vampirism is more or less explained to the general public as a sort of medical defiency that hasn't yet been fully explored or explained by science.

I'm of the opinion that no understanding is complete, regardless of the subject matter. The human mind is limited by all sorts of factors, and we understand to the best of our ability.

After a long and painful absence, I am finding my way once more back to the arms of Goddess.
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 11:36:59 am »

If you haven't already voted please take a moment to do so.  Thank you!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: