AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:57:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Vampyre Politics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Vampyre Politics  (Read 9076 times)
Librek33
Level 2 Contributor

« on: November 28, 2010, 06:35:34 PM »

I'm somewhat isolated from much of the political/hierarchal/customary side of vampyre culture and am curious to gain insight on the do's and don't's of the whole thing. Little nuances we commonly practice, customs, proceedings, court rules and "laws", formalities involving teaching, houses, covens, clans, and families, etc...I'm curious and looking to learn a bit about it in depth so as to not offend certain titles that are out there.

-Librek
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »

Try to avoid politics, hierarchy, and anyone who dictates "laws".  Let common sense and the journey towards self-improvement be your principal guides.  My advice in a nutshell.

Oh, and don't believe a word of the next person who posts in this thread unless you research it independently for yourself and find it to be true.

Nadia115
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »

Listen completely to Merticus.  Grin

edited to add: He is soooo going to make me pay for that one.....
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »

LOL, Oh gods, vamp politics? Well, I cant speak in regards to any houses, clans or such, but I AM rather well versed in the online drama vamp communities. Short version?

Three primary groups - Role Players, psis, and sangs. None of the three really get along so well with the other two, with the psis a bit softer on the RPers, and the sangs a bit softer on the psis, but neither by much. There are some, like Mert, that have made semi legitimate attempts to unify, at the very least, sangs and psis, but perceived stupidity by all groups keeps them fragmented. None of which really are inclined to work together, the leaders, for all their pompous noise, cannot get the masses - most of whom are REAL people with REAL jobs and lives that'd be fucked royally by being out (Which, btw, is the ultimate goal of MANY of these vamp groups and leaders and such) and are smart enough to steer well clear.

Love the comment btw Nadia Wink

Automotive Necromancer
display
Level 5 Contributor

sorry, but my "Givafuk" is broken

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »

i absolutely agree with nadia and Rk...the 3 above posts are the best I've seen thus far...
There are many days coming you will wish that you have never gotten involved with the OVC.. This path has its fair share of rewards and heart aches. Politics is something one cannot avoid with the ovc , eventually it will suck you in,weather its being a mod on a board or starting your own group... Just be aware of what you read and trust... All that glitters is not gold (nor vampires lmao)..
Librek33
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:26:45 PM »

@Merticus Thank you, I agree and it's my intention to do so. I just know there are some groups out there and I am seeing what I can gain by putting the question out there and filtering it through my mentor/teacher and my own mind.  Down here in New Orleans it's hard to avoid it in entirity.

@coon I avoid the RP stuff where I can, I think we all dream of a life where we can be accepted without all the hiding. I think even if a small city or town were available for just that, it'd give us a place to feel comfortable.

I try to take everything I read and hear with my own filtration.  If it vibrates as true, that's one thing, if it smells of BS, then it is buried lol. I try to get along with whomever I can. I practice diplomacy and peace as much as possible. I think the online community is the only place we have to be open to a point. We all experience different things. Some come to overdramatize it, some apply differing terms to the same thing then get caught arguing semantics, some get guided in loops when they are just awakening and are honestly trying to make sense of what they are. All in all, there is a lot of good to come if you have a popper scooper for the BS or respectful conversation to keep all possible perspectives in mind. I know many different kin around here where I live.

P.s. Merticus, I completely agree with your endeavours to unite various groups, and to dust away the line that divides. Hopefully that endeavour bears fruit someday by someone or some group.

-Librek
Nadia115
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:37:57 PM »

I see glittering and tend to run. If it glitters..it IS probably glitter..which is the herpes of the arts and crafts world. I do agree...you do end up sucked in one way or another. Sometimes a lot of good can come of it...most times nothing but a lot of annoyance. -shrugs- I just dig through and read and research and go with what I feel is right. The rest I have to agree with RK on as well. I try to stay out of it..but it does not always work that way....
Kasada
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 10:50:17 PM »

I'm somewhat isolated from much of the political/hierarchal/customary side of vampyre culture and am curious to gain insight on the do's and don't's of the whole thing. Little nuances we commonly practice, customs, proceedings, court rules and "laws", formalities involving teaching, houses, covens, clans, and families, etc...I'm curious and looking to learn a bit about it in depth so as to not offend certain titles that are out there.

I'll say this the shortest, simplest way possible.  There is no hierarchy, there are no laws related to vampirism, there isn't really any kind of formal 'teaching' directly related to it, and all "houses, covens, clans, and families" are really only recognized within themselves, and not as any kind of authority whatsoever by the vampire community as a whole.
Titles are pretty organization-specific, there's no universal qualifications for them; anybody could just up and call themselves some fancy-sounding title and there would be no reason for anyone to respect it unless they were a member of the same little group and *decided* that it meant something to them.
So, there you go then.  A quick rundown of the there-really-isn't-any-unification-or-organization-to-this-community stance.

May you find a twist in your road.
display
Level 5 Contributor

sorry, but my "Givafuk" is broken

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 11:00:32 PM »

sounds like you have had a real fun time with the OVC...
damn, and your just 21 aswell..
sphynxcatvp
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »

Quote from: Librek33

Do: Question everything.
Do: Research for yourself.
Do: Verify sources.
Do: Exercise some "common sense" (don't be an idiot, don't be a troll, etc. and you'll be ok)
Do: Recognize that "answers" can sometimes be found in the oddest of places.

Don't: Get sucked up in an organization.
Don't: Believe that political hierarchy rules everything.
Don't: Believe everything you read/hear.
Don't: Believe that one group's customs are "teh lawz" everywhere else.
Don't: Be afraid to walk your own path.
Don't: Believe that a particular source you don't like is incapable of giving an answer you need.

That, along with many other postings here pretty much covers the basics. Smiley

~SphynxCatVP
Community Old Fart :-)
Webmaster, SphynxCat's Real Vampire's Support Page
Follow me on Twitter, too
Visit Shambala, my new forum!
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:12:20 AM »

Unfortunately, politics tends to permeate any group in which people are involved. There are politics everywhere and they influence everything in life. That's an unfortunate and frustrating fact. However, as has been said - think for yourself, consider the evidence, and make judgments on your own after researching all you can about whatever it is that you're considering.

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
-- Alexander Pope, Unknown , 1688-1744

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
-- Heinlein's Razor
Librek33
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 10:14:23 AM »

Not really considering anything. I was just trying to learn about what's out there. I guess a different way of asking is what is correct behaviour and/or customs at a formal social gathering of our kind, if anything apart from normal?

-Librek
the pink lady
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »

Not really considering anything. I was just trying to learn about what's out there. I guess a different way of asking is what is correct behaviour and/or customs at a formal social gathering of our kind, if anything apart from normal?

There's everything from the ultra-formal to the very casual. Try vampires.meetup.com or sanguinarius.org for groups local to you, and even if you can't find something where you live, find the nearest group and contact the group owner. With my group, I ask people to be able to prove they're 18+, dress normally in public meetings (no club wear, etc.), and no discussions of practices in public.

FB and Twitter: bloodypinklady
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: