AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:32:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  General Vampirism Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Have You Ever Been The Subject Of Discrimination As A Vampire? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print
Author Topic: Have You Ever Been The Subject Of Discrimination As A Vampire?  (Read 94142 times)
nttf
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2010, 06:28:57 PM »

Yea. I found someone who is also  psi vamp and were gonna tell one of our friend this weekend. Can't wait to see her expression  Wink

~*sselnoitome:isaValk*~
Ssapphirevisions
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2010, 02:48:28 PM »

When I think of the word discrimination I think of being refused services be it medical or even something as simple, if you view it that way, of being denied to dine in a particular restaurant. So based on that idea of it no I have not been discriminated against. However, I don't dress goth, I don't wear fangs, dark makeup, or anything to draw attention to myself. I live in a small farming town where there are more churches than there are individuals, where a corn field is my back yard and where a wonderful family of Mennonites live across the road from me. It's much easier to just blend in as I don't care for drama or a lot of individuals around me, and I tend require ALOT of alone time.
        However, if you want to consider discrimination from friends and family into the equation that would be slightly different. My husband, who is a mundane, is not open to the idea that we exist, or that I am as I say I am. He argues that all beings exchange energy with every interaction. I've tried to explain it to him, even giving many examples of how I take in energy but he's deaf to it. So I've learned to leave well enough alone there. Despite his failure to even truly consider it, or understand it he does support me being involved within the community. 
I enjoy helping others. It's what I am good at. Recently, I was helping a friend via emails with questions he had -everything from the various forms of feeding, to what constitutes 'harm none' when it comes to vampires, to spirituality. His email was hacked into and I started receiving some emails from his handfasted partner who apparently had no clue he associated with us, or of his being a vampire. Her emails did not come in the form of questions but of accusations and subtle threats. Obviously I took precautions and closed out my email account and such ,although admittedly  I did reply to her first two emails -politely of course. Now I just have to research SA's history when it comes to vampires and how others who come across those of us who are vampires deal with it.
      I don't believe in looking back and saying I'd do this differently or that differently, even in this latter example I've given. I was honest, true to myself, and helping someone else, doing that which I am good at. I don't have regrets on how I conducted myself, and I don't regret my past.If I had the opportunity to go back and change something about those events or anything in my past I wouldn't change anything because every experience, every interaction, every emotion I've experienced has provided opportunities of growth and evolvement, and make up who I am today. However, since this latter incident I find that I'm not just more leery of those coming to me for assistance, but I'm .. hmm ...I wouldn't say hesitant but more on guard and cautious for my own sake and for the other members in the community.
      At any rate, besides these two incidents, no I have not been discriminated against but other than to those within the community or those who truly seek truth over ignorance, I highly doubt that I will come out of the coffin anytime in the near future. With all the Twilight fanatics as well as the bad press we've been getting lately, for my loved ones and my own safety it's best that way for now at least. I do hope that one day though that will change.
~SS~
vitchy
Level 4 Contributor

Hello

« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2010, 10:28:39 PM »

I feel all of us can discriminate at one point or another but it is put in a whole other context so the appearance changes so that it does not look like we are.  Humans tend to judge and usually a person becomes a group when one individual makes a bad decision.  Stereotyping is a form of descrimination even if we dont want to accept it.

*look at the world thru pure light*
SilverRose
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »

i believe that stereotyping is very discriminatory and i call people on it every once in a while.

Everyone has their own perception of perfection.

Ridentem dicere verum quid vetat.

Meja yht mad meja.
hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2010, 01:22:47 AM »

I'm not a fan of discrimination either but everyone stereotypes automatically in ones mind...take a look at the people you hang out with..."birds of a feather flock together", is not just a saying. What is important is to not let stereotypes turn into discrimination which can happen if you knowingly shun someone or make fun of someone based off of their stereotype.But in reality all humans label in their mind whether they are aware of it or not. Also, to Ssapphirevisions, sometimes it's better to stay to oneself to avoid drama...but
 a significant other is someone you should be able to share anything with especially if you are feeding off of them. But if he gives permission and still doesn't believe that you are doing it...I suppose it's best to leave well enough alone. No use causing a rift.

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
razorblade_recon
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2010, 12:51:51 PM »

I think that if oyu dont stick out on purpose that youll probably be o.k. in general.
S
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »

I find that whenever I tell someone, word travels around a bit faster than I'd like, and within days I'm labled as a creep, and stalked by twilight fans.  (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since i'm in high school)
hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »

That is why one must always be careful of whom one tells. S I do believe that being stalked by Twilight fans might turn dangerous. Do you actually like being liked because someone has the wrong idea of what a vampire is?

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
S
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2010, 08:40:30 AM »

That is why one must always be careful of whom one tells. S I do believe that being stalked by Twilight fans might turn dangerous. Do you actually like being liked because someone has the wrong idea of what a vampire is?
considering the age and sex of the majority of twilight fans, I do not consider it a bad thing.  although I do attempt to quell the misconceptions, there are...enjoyable...benefits that come from having twilight fans.
vitchy
Level 4 Contributor

Hello

« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »

Im missing something...why would you be stalked by Twilight fans again??  Unless you are on the movie I call bull.  (Background stand ins and prop moving doesnt count.

S
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »

Im missing something...why would you be stalked by Twilight fans again??  Unless you are on the movie I call bull.  (Background stand ins and prop moving doesnt count.
I'll say it outright, then...there are a couple of incredibly cute fangirls I enjoy the company of
hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2010, 12:27:52 AM »

You have what new one? That sentence was rather hard to read with that back round.

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
vitchy
Level 4 Contributor

Hello

« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2010, 01:23:25 AM »

At least you admit the "fan girl" bit.      S.  Lol

And "the new one" it would be "Werewolf".  Lots of luck there

S
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2010, 08:50:48 AM »

At least you admit the "fan girl" bit.      S.  Lol
And "the new one" it would be "Werewolf".  Lots of luck there
aside from the various misconceptions its caused, twilight does make it far easier to be open in today's society.
hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »

S. While what you say is true I will still have to say that while it may be easier to come out into today's society because of twilight I would not because I do not like being able to come out due to a misconception of what vampires are.

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: