AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2019, 02:39:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19897 Posts in 2603 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Therianthropy & Otherkin  |  General Otherkin Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Phantom Limbs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Phantom Limbs  (Read 14091 times)
Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 05:29:37 am »

I've not usually experienced pain in the sense of my percieved limbs hitting things..
i feel minor discomfort of my wins like they're crushed if i sit back all the way in a chair.. and i imagine it could be a factor in my anxiety in large crowds..

the only discomfort otherwise that may or may not be related are chronic knots in my back, and even my tailbone aches on occasion, but i suspect i broke that about a year or so ago..
Sometimes i feel as though my nose and mouth area, even my eyes and various places of my face change.. like cat eyes, or feline/canine teeth (or "fangs" even) or nose and muzzle.
I sometimes feel something on top of my head, or in the back of my head but have yet to figure out what it is..

I've never tried to control when/how they manifest, though i don't believe i can. i've not tried to consciously move them either.. i don't have much use for them physically, as they are not physical.... it would be something to try.. though i've felt, especially my wings, move.. they surround me sometimes, like a shield, or they'll spread out or bristle when i'm upset, to cause me to look bigger, i assume (sort of the animal fight or flight "puffed up" look). My wings rarely open fully though.. maybe that's why i'mnot sure how big they are or what they look like.. i just know where they usually connect onmy back..
Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 05:30:15 am »

I've not usually experienced pain in the sense of my percieved limbs hitting things..
i feel minor discomfort of my wins like they're crushed if i sit back all the way in a chair.. and i imagine it could be a factor in my anxiety in large crowds..

the only discomfort otherwise that may or may not be related are chronic knots in my back, and even my tailbone aches on occasion, but i suspect i broke that about a year or so ago..
Sometimes i feel as though my nose and mouth area, even my eyes and various places of my face change.. like cat eyes, or feline/canine teeth (or "fangs" even) or nose and muzzle.
I sometimes feel something on top of my head, or in the back of my head but have yet to figure out what it is..

I've never tried to control when/how they manifest, though i don't believe i can. i've not tried to consciously move them either.. i don't have much use for them physically, as they are not physical.... it would be something to try.. though i've felt, especially my wings, move.. they surround me sometimes, like a shield, or they'll spread out or bristle when i'm upset, to cause me to look bigger, i assume (sort of the animal fight or flight "puffed up" look). My wings rarely open fully though.. maybe that's why i'mnot sure how big they are or what they look like.. i just know where they usually connect onmy back..

about the moving thing.. i've also felt my ears prick up..
there's a bunch of them but those are what come to the top of my mind.
SilverRose
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 08:48:22 am »

That's pretty ironic I've always done it the same way as well.  Grin

Everyone has their own perception of perfection.

Ridentem dicere verum quid vetat.

Meja yht mad meja.
Hellflame
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 09:13:30 am »

I can't get my tail or ears to go away no matter how hard i try to consentrate on it. But the only time that it really gets in the way is when I'm on a long road trip and it is bent at a weird angle.

Don't beg for things, Do it yourself, or you won't get anything.

Wolves are like flames. Dangerous but beautiful.
Hellflame
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 09:14:55 am »

Exactly, I usually only manifest my tail at home due to the lack of chiars with holes in the back and crowded hallways and what not.

Silver we go to the same school, so why don't you just get the chair that is behind you.

Don't beg for things, Do it yourself, or you won't get anything.

Wolves are like flames. Dangerous but beautiful.
Zerochan
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 10:54:42 am »

My form is almost correct, seeing as fae are humanoid in shape.

Some, but not all (fae, I mean) *smiles*

From what I hear from others of non-humanoid shapes, maybe you're lucky for being on the humanoid kinds of fae, as there are somewhat less body dysphoria issues. I've seen dragon or bird Kintypes perch and then notice they don't have the same talons for gripping, or kitsune get annoyed people are walking through their tails because they are not physically visible. Smiley

Crap.... yeah, I forgot about that. xD One thing I can relate to kitsune on though is people walking through my wings. I despise that. It's worse than them going through a wall, I swear. -.-
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 12:22:49 pm »

No.. mistifing them makes the pain increase.. stubborn, I am.

Guess its just a grin and bear it scenario... attempting to feed them hurts, attempting to dissapate them hurts, ignoring them.. hurts less as long as I dont do anything metaphysical related.

BTW, I find that most commonly described 'wings' would be insufficant in size to provide physical flight.. so their presence could very well be another function.  The mentioning of them wrapping around, etc reminded me of that.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 07:29:47 am »

Guess its just a grin and bear it scenario... attempting to feed them hurts, attempting to dissapate them hurts, ignoring them.. hurts less as long as I dont do anything metaphysical related.

BTW, I find that most commonly described 'wings' would be insufficant in size to provide physical flight.. so their presence could very well be another function.  The mentioning of them wrapping around, etc reminded me of that.

I have no idea their actual size. I imagine they must be rather large due to my perception of them surrounding me like a sheild or something.. or like a bat surrounds itself with it's wings for protection from the  light when it sleeps.
That or it's simply my aura expanding and encompassing myself and any particular individual who i feel comfortable with and is close enough..
I've surrounded myself and a significant other in the past, or so that's what i percieved, while we were cuddling close together.

Why i think this is more phantom limb related than aura, though either it could be, is that on rare occaisions i've woken up from sleeping feeling as though my physical body was trapped..
like when your blankets wrap too tightly around you or something.. but i had very few, if blankets at all, around me and they weren't around my ENTIRE body (face included, i can't stand the blanket on my face)..
I realized i must have been comfortable, wrapped my -wings- around me while falling asleep then woke in a start because they felt foreign to me..

my own name and physical body has felt foreign to me or as though i wasn't fully in it, upon waking some mornings. i've asked myself "who am i this time?" "where am i?" and "am i dead?" immediately upon waking, some in the morning after a dream, some in the middle of the night..
Zerochan
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 10:44:31 am »

Mine are about a meter or so each out from the center of my back.
Maybe they're supposed to behave like a bee? They're wings are supposedly insufficient for flight as well. Or the mechanics of flight could be different in the astral.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 01:58:18 pm »

Very different.  *chuckles*  You really cant draw too many parrallels with the physical.

Paindancer
ShadowMatt
Level 2 Contributor

Striga Custos

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 09:23:14 am »

My wings are large enough to wrap around me, comfortably, without having to stretch them out alot, but Ive seen other Guardians that can fill a room lol.

And so In life, we reflect In death.
Danielle
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 06:44:45 pm »

I've become so used to to my ears and tail now that it feels like they are always there, like when I'm happy it wags, my ears are always moving with my facial expressions, thoughts and emotions. In relation to there location, my tail is the end of my tail bone, where it should be biological, and my ears are the same, just a little higher up then where they are physically located.

The strength of the wolf is the pack. The strength of the pack is the wolf.
Zerochan
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 10:40:18 am »

Whoever mentioned body dysphoria issues, I consider myself lucky that the most out of place thing I have to deal with is slightly pointed ears. I had those kind of headphones that go around the ear once, right? It felt like they were sitting on my physical ear, and stabbing through my astral one at the same time.

As for wrapping my wings around myself, I can't do that comfortably. They really don't like to bend that way.
SilverRose
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 09:55:19 am »

For me wings are a wierd issue i feel like they are there but i cant visualize the shape i often see multiple types of wings. i'm not real sure what mine actually look like. 

Everyone has their own perception of perfection.

Ridentem dicere verum quid vetat.

Meja yht mad meja.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 08:58:36 pm »

For me wings are a wierd issue i feel like they are there but i cant visualize the shape i often see multiple types of wings. i'm not real sure what mine actually look like. 

Ive heard that a lot actually.  Very few people really describe wings of a given size which would be functional.  I bet, that preception of wings, is more of an energy collection process.  Our minds have to do something with the sensation.. so we identify it as 'wing'.  They even visually equate to that.

I have 'blades' down my arms and legs too.  Dont know what to tell you regarding the feeling that my foerarms should be able to split along the radius and ulna...  Granted, my form tends to be somewhat fluid and maleable...

Paindancer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: