AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 03:24:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  What Did You Do For Donor Appreciation Day? - October 1st 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What Did You Do For Donor Appreciation Day? - October 1st  (Read 3781 times)
HeatherYoungblood
Level 1 Contributor

« on: October 03, 2010, 01:00:23 pm »

So how did you celebrate the first Donor Appreciation Day? Do you know how you're going to celebrate the first Vampire Appreciation Day?

On a similar aside, this is what I've posted elsewhere on the subject of those days:

I don't think there should be a Donor Appreciation Day [DAD] without a day for the vampire. However, many in the 'vampire' community are not vampires but instead demons, werewolves, werecats, etc. looking for somewhere to belong [sometimes even cloaking their energy with vampire energy], so I think it should be Otherkin Appreciation Day [OAD] rather than Real Vampire Appreciation Day.

If you don't have a human donor, I feel you should use DAD to celebrate the otherkin you are feeding from.

I do like [Ok, LOVE] Merticus's idea of having the day for the vampire [or otherkin] on Oct. 5 because October is when the spiritual realm can most strongly affect the physical realm. If it were much later in the month, the donor and vamp/otherkin might be too busy with Halloween stuff to hang out.

I think, for those who wish to do so, the otherkin and donor holidays could go well beyond the equivalents of Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day [favorite movies, breakfast in bed, flowers, candy and sweets, restaurant, candlelit home-cooked dinner, going out to see a play, etc.].
My suggestions:
--If your House has a suggested donation fee or mandatory fee, wave it for donors on DAD and for otherkin on OAD.
--Have a House meeting or House party on DAD and on OAD, and have potluck.
--Wear jewelry with certain symbols on them in public. A certain symbol for otherkin and a certain symbol for donors. Definately some sort of ankh for otherkin, or at least for vampires [if you're making a distinction between vampires and other types of otherkin in your House]. Perhaps some sort of altered ankh for donors and/or other types of otherkin.
--Hang out at places where people might be interested in inquiring about the symbols your group is wearing, like an alternative [goth-emo-punk-etc.] dance club, an alternative bar, an alternative lounge [if you live in Vegas], a hippie-beatnic-etc. coffee house, or a Unitarian Church. You may meet some otherkin that are in the coffin, didn't know your House existed, or unawakened; or you may find new donors who appreciate your regal treatment of donors.
--See if your local Unitarian Church will let you use their facilities to have a ball for DAD and OAD.
display
Level 5 Contributor

sorry, but my "Givafuk" is broken

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 01:36:25 pm »

I made sure I pampered her.. But this is the norm for us.. But this time it was a all day affair...
I'm not the best cook but I managed not to burn the toast ...
We went out to the beach and hung out for a awhile (we live in florida before you ask)after we drove to Mobile to Bayfest... It was a blast!
Mystere
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 07:39:30 pm »

Unfortunately, there were other things that overrode any attempt to do something special for my donor/fiance, but there will definitely be some fun had for the VAD, since we're both vampyres. (I'm a tantric, and he's an unlimited hybrid, so it's not as bad a situation as it might be for others.)

The suggestions you made for V/OAD sound more like the "A" would stand for "Awareness" rather than "Appreciation" in some aspects. Not that I think they're bad ideas, but not necessarily congruent. By the way, Therians have a symbol, and some Otherkin use it as well. It's a triangle with a Theta inside it.

When I speak, "vampyre" = real vamp, like me, but "vampire" = creature of myth.

May the blessings of Night be upon you, and through the Darkness, may you see clearly.
Hecata
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »

I didn't do anything! Donor appreciation day,what's next? I have no connection to a donor,they are just there for me and I feel nothing for them. I am being what I am and doing what I need to and there is no room for feelings for donors,thats just a sympathetic human emotion to which there is no need for.
HeatherYoungblood
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:08:19 pm »

Yes awareness better suits what I meant. My fiancée is a demon and says he is indeed familiar with the otherkin symbol you mentioned. Smiley

Since our otherkin House isn't up and running yet [Busy with wedding stuff!], me and my fiancée decided to devote this past DAD to doing anything he wanted to do and OAD to doing anything I wanted to do.

For DAD we went to art walk, which is a thing once a month when the art galleries [and little stores that sell house decorations] in this city, from 7pm-9pm, serve wine and snacks and have live music and the actual artists hanging out so that you can go from gallery to gallery and discuss art with other people and with the people who made the works. There were also a lot of stands along the sidewalk where people were selling hand made paintings and jewelry and bake sale fundraisers for breast cancer research.

For OAD we went to a meeting [lecture] of one of the archaeological societies in this city [SAAA]. We had never been to any archaeology lectures before. It was held in a gorgeous room in Flagler College [built in the Victorian era] that used to be the women's parlour. A prominent archaeologist received an award and a replica of an artifact that he donated to SAAA's exhibition gallery. He then gave a presentation that he had given to some other society, which was an overview of what SAAA has learned about the history of this city based on what artifacts they have found over the years.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: