AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2020, 09:04:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Therianthropy & Otherkin  |  Therianthropy & Were (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  What Is It Like For You To Be A Wolf? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What Is It Like For You To Be A Wolf?  (Read 11644 times)
Hellflame
Level 2 Contributor

« on: September 03, 2010, 01:45:23 PM »

I have learned that being a wolf is not easy, especially when youíre trying to fit in at schools like mine. It is hard for me to stay sane having a sense of smell stronger than everyone elseís and having being in overcrowded hallways that have no windows and only 4 doors that open about once every 20 minutes or so. The multitude of smells build up and kill my nose. Also when itís almost lunch on a day that has meat filled dishes, itís hard for me to control myself from running into the cafeteria and scarffing all of it down. Tell me if any of you other wolves that are on here have to deal with the same problems or other problems.

Don't beg for things, Do it yourself, or you won't get anything.

Wolves are like flames. Dangerous but beautiful.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »

I cant say I share the same experience, but similar in some regards.

Like anything, you learn to master the baser drives, not let them be your master.  Like any sense, the nose adapts to a degree... although I still cant go into a bath and body.  Being closed in a room?  There are worse things.  I have said this before, but for me.. just being in the same body is painful.. but its only 80-500 years, right (depending on modern medicine advances).

Personally, from your posts, I see two factors going on.  One.. your young and male.  You wont want to hear it but a lot of what you are going through is just your age and nothing at all to do with therianship.  Blaming all your woes on that trait is just avoidance, to be honest. 

Second, is control.  If you are truly dealing with therianship, or the like.. I would encourage you to master it, not the other way around.  This isnt twilight, where the wolves run wild.  This is a  trait too you.. and asset, but not the crux of your being after all.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Hellflame
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:33:28 PM »

First off yes I am male, but I am not as young as you might think, at least not mentally. And I have been like this my whole life. Truthfully I do not find it as a woe that my nose is more sensitive than most others, but it can be a problem when to many smells build up around me because it also messes with my sense of taste, same as everyone else but kinda harder for me.

And two, I REALLY HATE TWILIGHT!!! It makes us look kinda stupid for one thing and another is it makes people think that we should have awesome bodies. Just saying.

Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »

First off yes I am male, but I am not as young as you might think, at least not mentally.

and how old do you believe you are, mentally? Do you have a number?
Unfortunately mentality only goes so far. your hormones and physical age STILL have an effect on you.
i do believe, in some sense, i am somewhat of an old soul.. however, i realized after leaving my teen years (though i'm not far from them).. things started settling..
i didn't realize it back then.. i thought it was just me being crazy.. but no, hormones have a HUGE factor on how you act, how you feel, even your thoughts..
you think you're in control, you think it's you that dictates you.. but no, as a teenager, your hormones are insane.. though you do have your own will power.. they do have a very strong effect on you. like it or not, beleive it or not. take it or leave it, that's just how it is.. you can't help it. though, it's not an excuse

As far a ssense of smell..
can you describe it?
to my understanding, dogs/canines smell in a certain way.. because their olfactory sense is so much stronger, it's nothing like what humans smell.
and again you run into that physical barrier. like it or not, your nose is human.
i'd rather believe you're just paying closer attention to all the smells around. still, if it's a problem, be it self-induced or not, you could either try to ignore it and just get used to it, or you could take a favorite scent of yours.. an incense, cologne or something.. rub/spray it on the inside of your wrist, or your sleeve (if wearing long sleeves), or the inside of the collar of your shirt.. when the scents overwhelm, take a slight whiff of your preferred scent, this should drown out all the others and keep you more focused and in control.
Supposedly, coffee grounds are used, or used to be used, to "cleanse the palette" in perfume shops. take a whiff of some of those, it'll not only wake you up but nullify any other lingering scents in your nose hairs Smiley

as for the closed rooms.
you're a boy, i'm sure, with or without your wolf side, you have a LOT of energy and probably would rather be playing some sport (sorry for the stereotype) than sitting in a class room. this is normal, with or without an animal side.
if it's something that interferes with your life though, on a larger scale, you may want to seek a professional opinion on claustrophobia..

as far as the crowds.. i know what you're talking about.. though i'd like to multiply that by at least 2. i found out the hard way that i was an empath.. though i'd sort of felt things most of my life.. upon entering high school is when i became overwhelmed..
anxiety attacks are not fun.
find a focus. put on your headphones between classes (but be careful, i'm pretty sure most schools are against certain electronics), drown out the white noise, and daydream..
you could also try alternate routes.. there's usually more than one way to a place..maybe find something quieter.
for me, between classes was difficult, but i hurried along as best i could.. i usually was sure to make a familiar acquaintance or friend in each of my classes though.. that way i had someone to "cling" to and focus if i felt myself being torn away by the waves of hormones, emotions and whatever else that was floating around..

though there is a difference between an organized pack and a chaotic crowd.
while it's possible, i wouldn't attribute all of your "woes" (as in bothers) to your wolf/therian side.. at the very least, not solely..
your therian side may be part of it but i highly doubt that it's all of it.. a lot of these experiences are actually normal. to be safe, you could always talk to a school counselor or psychologist/psychiatrist about some of your anxieties and such.

also, the food.
most people, in my experience just prefer meat.. i can't see why.. granted i very much enjoy it too, but i've been sick because i had a single meal of all meat/protien foods.. i can't imagine trying to live with my diet consisting of majorly meat..
The scent of meat seems to travel better, maybe because it's usually heated but maybe not always.. it may not be so much that it's meat, but because it's lunch time and you smell food that just happens to be meat.
the hunger just seems like a normal teenager thing. you're a growing boy. have you not seen how your friends and peers eat?

not trying to say you're wrong.. just trying to give you alternatives to think about before jumping to conclusions. ultimately sure, it's up to you to figure out and decide.

i hope i've helped a little.
jayant ratna
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:08:18 AM »

Hellflame
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:12 AM »

Darklilone I like your explination best. But one thing you asked if I could describe what my sense of smell is like. If you give me something with a smell of a person on it, I could be a bloodhound and track them for up to 4 and half hours. (Yes I have done it before.)

Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 11:33:01 AM »

Darklilone I like your explination best. But one thing you asked if I could describe what my sense of smell is like. If you give me something with a smell of a person on it, I could be a bloodhound and track them for up to 4 and half hours. (Yes I have done it before.)
Thank you. i hope i've helped

yes, but do you smell the person themselves or do you smell their clothes, their cologne or something else?

like.. do you smell a sandwich? or do you smell; ham, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes?
jayant ratna
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:12:19 AM »

Hellflame
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:35 AM »

Everyone has a spesific smell that is there own, no matter how much you try to cover it up it will always be the strongest. I can smell that like a wolf can keep the scent of its prey which is different than the others. Its also a defence that I share with the wolf because both of of can smell when someone/something that we know is dangerous is coming so we can run, or prepare to fight depending on the situation. I would let my friend explain it, (she could explain so much better since she had a lot more experience with this) but unfortunatly she died last year. Its hard for me to explain all of this but I hope that what Iíve said helps you understand what its like to be a different kinda wolf.

Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »

Everyone has a spesific smell that is there own, no matter how much you try to cover it up it will always be the strongest. I can smell that like a wolf can keep the scent of its prey which is different than the others. Its also a defence that I share with the wolf because both of of can smell when someone/something that we know is dangerous is coming so we can run, or prepare to fight depending on the situation. I would let my friend explain it, (she could explain so much better since she had a lot more experience with this) but unfortunatly she died last year. Its hard for me to explain all of this but I hope that what Iíve said helps you understand what its like to be a different kinda wolf.

agreed, everyone has their own unique scent.. unfortunately it's often covered up by deodorant, perfumes and colognes..it's not always the strongest.
you may remember a scent but i find it hard to believe that you can keep a scent for very long.. though smells do linger in your nose hairs.. this would be an ability attributed to physical characteristics.. it's possible to have a slightly better sense of smell than others, but equivalent to a wolf.. not while you're physically human.

you can smell danger?
kind of like how they say "animals can smell fear", i'm assuming.
that's just a phrase. they don't exactly smell it. they sense it.. through body language, non-verbal cues, and the body does smell slightly different due to hormones, but the human nose can't pick up something that subtle and what not..
however there is no real such thing as a "spidey-sense".. it just doesn't exist.
we all have instinct.

different "kind" of wolf? what do you mean by that?
as far as i understand it a wolf is a wolf.. whether it's a grey/timber wolf, red wolf, or any other wolf from any part of the world (endangered, extinct, or whatever).. they all are similar, they are wolves.. there's not much difference usually other than size, color and maybe even fur (animals in colder climates would have thicker fur).

i think you're explaining just fine..
i don't want you to think i'm cornering you or anything, no.. i just want to understand your situation, you belief in it, and as mentioned, give you some alternatives to ponder.
not everything is attributed solely to your wolf-side (whether it exists or not)... Humans are animals, humans have senses, instincts.. genetics play a part, then your soul (or however you beleive to be wolf) can be factored in.
in this life, in this moment, you are human. you may have some certain characteristics that the wolf gives you, but they're not all only because of your wolf. sometimes you're just an individual.
Hellflame
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 06:08:24 PM »

The scent like I said I can track for up to 4 and a half hours then I get used to it and cant track it anymore.

And if you reread my last post I didn't say I smell danger, I smell people or things that I know are dangerous.

And by different kind of wolf I mean like there are very few that I know of that are like me.

Sorry if this sound snobby or obnoixes (I know I can't spell lol) I don't mean it to I just want to clear up what you thought I meant by that with what I acctually meant.

Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 07:10:15 PM »

The scent like I said I can track for up to 4 and a half hours then I get used to it and cant track it anymore.

And if you reread my last post I didn't say I smell danger, I smell people or things that I know are dangerous.

And by different kind of wolf I mean like there are very few that I know of that are like me.

Sorry if this sound snobby or obnoixes (I know I can't spell lol) I don't mean it to I just want to clear up what you thought I meant by that with what I acctually meant.

But HOW do you know they're dangerous? are you claiming to smell the danger or are you talking about people you've already encountered?

hm :/ interesting i guess..
jayant ratna
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »

Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 11:04:19 AM »

The best way to rid yourself of this wolf-smell habit, is by shooting a live wolf as in live game.

are you kidding me?!
Please don't listen to this advice. i mean sure if it's legal where you are w/e.. but.. -_- i would advise against it..
and whose to say he wants to get rid of it? he was just asking if anyone else experiences it and if it's a bother at times for them as well.

But why would you, apart from being considered as unbountiful or unlawful, it is not considered pristine to kill wolves. Wolves move with the weather, and are indeed a very important part of cultural paradigms.Nope, to kill a wolf would make one a monster.

*sighs* relief.. ok, my bad..

The best way to rid yourself of this wolf habit, is to indulge yourself in largess.
all in moderation, wouldn't want to give in and loose control, right?
granted, that's my personal bias.

letting that side stretch it's legs and entertain itself from time to time wouldn't be a bad thing.. but it's a part of you.. you can't totally ignore it, but it's only a part.. you can't attribute all your woes, flaws and quirks to it..

Hellflame
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 12:24:35 PM »

I would never kill a wolf. And no point getting rid of it. I mean I would be lost without it now since i've had it for so long.

And yes I mean things and people that I know are dangerous that I have encountered before.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: