AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2020, 09:43:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Therianthropy & Otherkin  |  Therianthropy & Were (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Therianthropy? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Therianthropy?  (Read 23553 times)
display
Level 5 Contributor

sorry, but my "Givafuk" is broken

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 12:09:21 AM »

Has anyone even asked that you open our eyes mate?
She was asking for help in finding out info nothing more , nothing less..
I for one am very happy wallowing in my own faith or ignorance as you imply...
At this point all you are doing is discrediting any future post you make... Really, would you want to hear crap from someone Holier than thou all the time?
Damn dude,
Let people find out things with out forcing Your athiest beliefs on to others... We aint out to convert you mate... Just give others the chance that you would like in return...

Life aint so black and white nor always logical... I'm not always correct, but I know I'm not alone ... Your in the same boat as the rest of us, hell look back at your own questions once and awhile ... Look at the times you were asking the same things
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2010, 12:31:45 AM »

I, personally, stand by everything Watchman said. Thank you, hon.

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
-- Alexander Pope, Unknown , 1688-1744

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
-- Heinlein's Razor
The Night Watchman
Level 2 Contributor

Empathic energy vampire

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2010, 12:41:14 AM »

Coon:

I'm yet to see anyone on this thread persecute you for your beliefs.  Also, it seems to me that it's you trying to force your beliefs on us by calling us short sighted and blind for having our own beliefs that aren't your own, despite you insisting that you're trying to tell us to think for ourselves.  Can you not see the contradiction there, sir?

That said, you writing off anyone that claims Christianity as short sighted and ignorant.  As stated, I consider myself Christian because that title best defines the basics of my beliefs.  However, I don't follow any particular denomination of Christianity.  I have my own version of it, my own faith, beliefs, and the right to follow and maintain those beliefs. 

You, sir, have the right to believe as you wish.  You may choose to be ignorant and write us off for having beliefs.  But once again, please don't sit there and tell me that you are trying nothing more than to offer your beliefs.  You've done nothing but talk down to those who would decide to believe in something larger and lump us all into the same category as religious extremists, blind followers, and ignorant group mentalities. 

I've strapped no bombs to my chest.  I've not walked around the street with a shaved head asking people for donations for my church.  I've not hit you over the head with a bible and told you this is the only word of the one true god and this is the only belief I will accept.  Sorry, pal.  The bible doesn't speak of vampires, empaths, totems or many other things that I am or have directly witnessed in my life.  So please, stop with the narrow-minded, short-sighted commentary.

What's more, you say that you tried to offer your opinions and others jumped on you.  Might I recommend you consider the way you talk to people and how you come off.  You speak in accusatory and self righteous manners, and put down people who disagree.  People are going to be defensive and protective against such behavior at all times.  Please try and talk calmly and with an open mind, and you will find the results far more gentle and acceptable.

"Legend tells that we are unable to cast reflection, my dear.  Do you have any idea what manner of pain in the ass that would be?" ~Chase
Nadia115
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2010, 12:23:11 PM »

::eye twitching:: Gods and Goddesses strike me down for this.....(It is so horribly bad I read through all of this last night and it has taken me till now to speak up)

In his horribly suck arsehole way of wording things...I see what RK is saying/asking. Though the personal crap and derogatory remarks and insulting type comments/innuendos need to be lain aside by same said poster(HINT)....It seems he has a problem with people blindly following things and when faced with past atrocities of said followed groups or when asked if/why they blindly follow  can only shrug or become angry. It also seems to be a personal search for the inner brain workings of others/mission of sorts to try to get people to back away and question and come to THEIR own ideas, feelings, interpretations and such instead of just following the herd. I think he is looking more for "I have had my own personal revalations and interpretations and follow X faith in my own way and though they have done such and such horrible things in history, it was more a fallacy of the men and women who blindly followed with out questioning and not the religion itself.". It seems he is stuck on the horrible things done by faiths in the name of the faith by followers blindly following instead of stopping and thinking things through for themselves while most times being hypocritic in their actions. IOW...he is saying gather all information but do not take it at face value. Do your own searching and thinking for what is right. To just blindly take what is said and go with it is a bad decision to make because it may really not be the case for YOU or be the right path for YOU.

I am going to go kill myself now for typing this out....
Taris
Level 3 Contributor

Feel free to contact me for discussions.

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2010, 01:42:04 PM »

Lol Nadia. Dont feel so bad. I actually understood what he meant myself. But he needs to learn his people skills a bit better I think. That or he needs to stop trying to incite a riot through his words and explain it without trying to offend. Which is appears he tries to do or simply lacks the ability to articulate properly. But ehh.

Going back into the shadows again. Hope those within the community can solve what needs to be solved and those new to it can handle it or run while ya can lol.

Back somewhat but still determining if things are fixed >.> XD Can contact me via PM for discussion or hit me up on facebook.
Nadia115
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »

I honestly think he has the social skills of a rabid wild man who has had no human interaction for most of their life. Not trying to be mean, just being honest that I am beginning to feel it is more horrible social interaction skills on his part which also means lacking tact when communicating with others.

The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2010, 02:09:34 PM »

Well, regardless of his intentions, claiming that all Christians are responsible and stupid for the Crusades (which were less about religion and more about politics) is like blaming me, personally, for the holocaust (I'm part German) and the Salem Witch Trials (I'm related to people involved in that). I am not responsible for the actions of the people before me.

Beyond that, blaming the religion for the actions of a few idiots is like blaming a firearm because it went off. I know it's a poor analogy but blaming the object (inanimate, even) for the actions of the one wielding it is rather foolish. It's even more foolish to blame every gun owner on the planet for the actions of a few, particularly when there are many that don't behave that way. (This isn't mean to incite a discussion on firearms, just a metaphor.)

It also seems silly to hate only Christians, what with there being atrocities committed in the name of every religion out there. I would blame people for that, not religion. Politics tends to mask itself in religion, claiming to be doing something for "holy" or "righteous" reasons when really it just has ambitions and desires to that end and it wants to have a valid reason for going there and blowing the shit out whoever it is that's in their way.

Back on the original topic, I've made my decision on what I think I am, so I don't feel that I need much further input at this time. To those that were helpful in the original question, I appreciate it. To those that were helpful in the ensuing BS, I appreciate that too.

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.

-- Heinlein's Razor
Nadia115
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »

I see your point as well and how you are viewing what he has said. Yes, we cannot blame the actions of ancestors on those living now. Though, we should learn from them so as to not repeat their mistakes in any way. It does not mean that we should worry that there will be stakes raised up surrounded by wood waiting for witches to be burned. There are other ways of persecuting that is done by those who still blindly follow and think, feel and believe the way others tell them to that do not always lead to violent ends. Some times it does, though not to such extent. Instead of mass burnings and stoning we still have the occasional headline of 'Man cites Christian views as reason for severely beating gay man who is still in critical condition.". I was told I could work for Chick-Fil-A IF I would cease wearing my pentacle. Needless to say I could use the cash, but I am not going to put myself in that sort of position either. Though you mix in his horrible social skills and ways of wording things....it makes for greater chances of reverse persecution being felt and hurt feelings. Which is where these conversations seem to be making wrong turns.

The crusades were a nasty mix as it was based on politics, but it was also backed by the church and many times things were done solely in the name of the religion. Long ago fear and scripture were used to rule the masses and the masses were not allowed to question anything. Those who did tended to come to a horrible end. Sadly it was the Church which ran things in their own ways. It is not so too much now(unless you want to count the mass of politicians trying to use Christian beliefs and such to win votes or to sway their voting), but it does happen. Hence his speaking about blindly following. I am not sure it is a personal attack per say, on you. I know I would not blame you for past actions nor any actions taken by people today in the name of religion. You have nothing to do with that. You have your own personal path, views and ways of thinking and I would only take into consideration your own reactions and actions and not those of the other people whom you share a common religion with. I do how ever find myself going to people and asking "Why would a Christian say/do/believe this and that?", but it is not with the intention of accusing that person of also being the same exact way or thinking exactly the same but more in the hopes they may be able to give some insight with never expecting them to agree or disagree with it all. It seems RK has the inability to make that distinction. At least without being told "LOOK...I do not agree with or see it the same as I follow in my own way and not blindly, but blah,blah,blah,blah." . I really do not think it is the religion, but how some fallable men and women interpret and use religion that causes problems. Which unfortunately leads to many lumping them all together which is just as wrong and hipocritical as those they are angry with.
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »

I'm not in any way exonerating the people that have done wrong. I'm not claiming that there aren't ignorant jerks that do things in the name of religion that the religion never would condone. I'm not taking it as an attack because I'm a historian, I know what happened. The Church was backing the crusades, but that was still being done for a political reason rather than a "holy" one. I can do some research and re-find the sources if you'd like (not a challenge, just a comment. This is what my degree is in).

He can speak about blindly following all he likes and that's fine, but when he claimed that because I'm Christian I can't do anything but that was what rubbed me the wrong way and when I became irritated. Being Christian and intelligent are far from mutually exclusive, though there are a whole lot of dumb people out there (I'm not relegating them to Christians, I've met dumb Jews, dumb Muslims, dumb Wiccans... stupid is ubiquitous) that take something and march off without ever studying it.

If you ever have questions relating to my faith and what I believe I'm more than happy to answer them in PMs (and do so without being preachy) since I am a big fan of being honest and frank with people if they are curious. And I agree with you that lumping everyone together just because they follow the same book (which is interpreted thousands of different ways and I have my own spin on it as well) is a little silly. It's like claiming every American is fat, has a bad attitude, and wants to take over the world (which is an actual accusation other countries make, I've heard it).

I'm actually and legitimately ashamed that I have to share a religion with the people involved in the Crusades or the Spanish Inquisition. I don't believe that they were the slightest bit justified nor that they had the right to do what they did. It's outrageous to think that killing people in the name of a religion whose first tenant is "Thou shalt not murder" is alright. Jesus preached a message of embracing others, of hope, of love, of faith, of charity, of wisdom - not a message of "if they don't agree, kill them!" that's the old testament and I have more to say on that score as well, though I'm not going to bring that all out here and start quoting Bible passages at people when I run the high chance of getting told that I'm simply brainwashed.

-- Heinlein's Razor
The Night Watchman
Level 2 Contributor

Empathic energy vampire

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2010, 04:44:31 PM »

As far as RK goes, I think we are aware at an understanding as to what his message was.  It's the way he went about it and then further went on to incite trouble that is where the problem lies.

As far as religion goes, that is exactly what I was trying to say.  Everyone has their own idea of what each religion is and not everyone is a murderous or blindly ignorant follower of those religions.  To lump us all in together is erroneous.

The problem there is the group mentality that, sadly, develops in humanity.  Many people, you may find, who follow Christianity (for example) know next to nothing about the bible.  Ask them sometime.  Many know stories or things they've heard of the text in those pages, but honestly have never read the book. 

I was "raised" to be Catholic.  I was made to go to a small hole-in-the-wall church down the street from my house every Sunday and literally spend an hour or 2 every weekend sitting and listening to an elderly man mumble in Polish.  Especially on warm, sunny days when I would see my friends outside running about.  I never understood how this was supposed to make me feel closer to god.  I only resented being there.  It wasn't until much later in my life that I began truly began to understand what it was the Catholics preach, and decided that I didn't like it.  I went through a large crisis of faith in my life and spoke with several friends who were of several different denominations of Christianity, and a few who were in other religions, and over time formulated what I believe to be right and developed my own relationship and understanding with what I call god.  Aside from my childhood years, I have never blindly followed any mentality.  Not in religion, education, peer pressure, or otherwise.  My mind, heart, and soul are my own and I will decide what I think is true, righteous, and correct for me.

The point I made about some of the Islamic extremists rings true through many religions over time.  As someone else pointed out, in earlier days over in England (for example) the Church ran things.  If you didn't follow their beliefs you were executed and made example of.  Many were people who couldn't even read the bible, yet they were forced to follow a mentality and religion or die.  Racists are also a good example.  I have personally witnessed many people over the years (living near Detroit with a very culturally diverse people) who hate blacks, jewish people, arabs and otherwise.  When asked why they feel this way, they spew only the same old rhetoric and propaganda, yet have nothing to say of any actual reason as to why.  The reason is because they were either raised with these beliefs by bigot parents, or were stuck in an environment with others who were under the same mentality.  Also, have a look at gangs.  On the streets, many kids wind up in gangs because it's that or die.  Also, many areas that are poverty stricken will bring up kids that have nothing, and then are invited into a group that protect one another, have money, provisions, and popularity.  In prison, much of the time it's either join a gang or be raped daily or die.  So please keep it in perspective that many of the blind sheep over the centuries of our history have done so out of necessity or misunderstanding.

Now please, don't think me saying this means that I believe that people don't have choices.  It's true, that we always have a choice.  We are responsible for our decisions.  However when that choice is to either blindly follow or die, or when it is an option to let your family starve or be taken care of, then the choice (while yours) seems relatively clear.

I don't mean to go off on a rant or tangent here.   I just have strong feelings over the idea of personal faith vs. religion or blind faith in a group mentality. 

"Legend tells that we are unable to cast reflection, my dear.  Do you have any idea what manner of pain in the ass that would be?" ~Chase
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »

Wow, looks like my points actually struck home. Not bad.  Now, to clarify a few items --

Watchman - why call yourself something if you only pick and choose from it? That would be no different from me calling myself a  Satanist because I happen to follow SOME of their beliefs. While I did for a brief time use that, I realized that was in error. Now, I simply state the truth - my path is my own.  Also, Isnt it wonderful how easy it is to claim persecution over NOTHING?

Nadia - Why would you be so upset with the realization? I mean tis true that gaining knowledge is often a very painful thing, but still, seems you got what I was driving at without that much difficulty. Past that, you could blame both being raised in a VERY small town with a school of 60-100 students total, coupled up with my being a therian since birth; rather, I personally blame what others see as my lack of social grace (read - direct, blunt honesty) on my raccoon self more than anything. I mean, what need DOES a wild creature have of social graces? Wink

Sentinel - I have a few news flashes for you. For one, we as a modern society held Germany responsible for the crimes of the nazi party for several decades, and it still has to deal with the issues caused by those long dead; just as we hold the Muslim faith responsible for its extremists, and so on. Its part of human nature, and further, in all honesty, when people CHOOSE to be part of a faith, then they are in fact choosing to associate with and be a part of anything and everything those faiths have done, and those within the faiths have done.  This is directly because that the source material that these psychos cling to is EXACTLY the same as the moderates and milds also cling to; the same fictional god in the same fictional scriptures. Religion is a choice, always has been, always will be, and if thats what you want to choose to be part of, then you can accept the stigma and BS that comes right along with it. Its not something you NEED to have, its something you WANT to have. This differentiates from the color of ones skin, the parents one has, and so on - it is a choice.  Now, with regards to therianthropy, it could be said that, like sexual identity and preferences, one doesnt choose what one likes, but one chooses what one does WITH such likes.  And while you are partially on the right track that the church acted in political reasons and not holy ones, I again remind you that the 'holy texts' themselves state clearly that there are some to be hated, tortured and killed, and you, as a historian in particular, should bloody well be aware of that.  Again however, by avoiding such points, you demonstrate far more clearly than I could, exactly why I label you and yours blind. You show how blind you are to the evils your faith has committed, and indeed, is designed to inspire others TO commit.  That is where my problem is.

Automotive Necromancer
display
Level 5 Contributor

sorry, but my "Givafuk" is broken

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2010, 07:05:35 PM »

.... I can't believe the AVA still hasn't banned him ... Ffs
I understand EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion but when it is blatant and constant abuse of members where does the line end?
When members get attacked at every turn they stop posting... Soon the word spreads about so and so and his relentless attacks on a person asking a valid question, members stop returning...

Then there are the posts about the Decline of the OVC....
This is a perfect example of why members won't return...
Nadia115
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2010, 07:17:30 PM »

Nadia - Why would you be so upset with the realization? I mean tis true that gaining knowledge is often a very painful thing, but still, seems you got what I was driving at without that much difficulty. Past that, you could blame both being raised in a VERY small town with a school of 60-100 students total, coupled up with my being a therian since birth; rather, I personally blame what others see as my lack of social grace (read - direct, blunt honesty) on my raccoon self more than anything. I mean, what need DOES a wild creature have of social graces?

No difficulty because I wonder the same thing about people and religions and political beliefs. I ask myself and sometimes even individuals the same questions you do here. Though I do try to word things much differently than you do as I would rather find answers than make people sputter angrily and get no where really. As far as the small area, I was thinking along those lines as a possibility, especially if you are Canadian by birth. I have many friends who are Canadians and those who have lived in an area with very little population tend to have similar communication problems as you. Though I am also thinking the raccoon gives it all a lot more ooomph.

Code:
I'm not in any way exonerating the people that have done wrong. I'm not claiming that there aren't ignorant jerks that do things in the name of religion that the religion never would condone. I'm not taking it as an attack because I'm a historian, I know what happened. The Church was backing the crusades, but that was still being done for a political reason rather than a "holy" one. I can do some research and re-find the sources if you'd like (not a challenge, just a comment. This is what my degree is in).

I would never think you would exonerate anyone doing wrong to others. Though the trick here is how interpretation, even heavily twisted, can be a problem. Such as the church during the Crusades did have political reasons. A lot of it was obtaining subjects, money and property and to continue to be able to rule over. Though it was done in the name of and for God. At least that is what they told themselves and their subjects. The basis of it all in all is GREED. But they were able to interpret things and words in the bible in a way to show them to be right. We see it from time to time now with some things that happen. It may not be what Jesus preached and tried to spread, but it is how some followers interpret things. Then you also add in that fallable men wrote the bible. Which is where you will find "Suffer no witches", "If a woman wishes to hear the words of God, she is to wait until her husband returns home and he is supposed to tell her. Women were not allowed in church." and so on and so forth. Though, my favorite is " Do not eat rabbits because they have cloven hooves and chew cud.". It has been forever since I have read the bible from beginning to end. There is a good bit of allowance for smiting if I remember correctly. The difference is that YOU understand a lot of that is from beliefs of men who wrote the bible, that the basis of Jesus' teachings is peace and love for one another and so on. I would NEVER think you would be one to take everything said in the bible literally and I would think you would be one to stop and say "Hey...what the heck...that is not right and not what Jesus/God meant or would want.".  Sadly, there are many still who unlike you would very well jump on the bandwagon as long as someone said it is in the bible and God said so. It is just human nature.

Now please, don't think me saying this means that I believe that people don't have choices.  It's true, that we always have a choice.  We are responsible for our decisions.  However when that choice is to either blindly follow or die, or when it is an option to let your family starve or be taken care of, then the choice (while yours) seems relatively clear.

HA...THIS...THIS is an extremely GREAT point!!!!! A LOT of things that have had happened has happened for that VERY reason. Then add to the fact that most of the populace in older times were not educated and were illiterate. Many really did not know any better. They could not read it themselves and interpret what they were reading. They had to rely on others. So between being bullied/threatened with death/threatened with homelessness and starvation and being illiterate, horrible things happened and people were used and taken advantage of.

FINALLY...RK..loose the personal side of the argument in reference to Sentinel. I do not think she would personally stand up and yell "HELLYEAH! GO CHURCH!!!!" if they were to suddenly throw out a bunch of bible verses and decide to burn down "sinful" cities and towns and take over them. She has even stated she believes many have committed horrible crimes in the name of her chosen religion and has made it clear she does not agree with those decisions and interpretations of what those people said were reasons found in the bible.
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »

Nadia,

No, no, he can keep on posting to me and I'll keep on ignoring him and reporting him to the mods. His inability to separate ad hominim from debate is reminiscent of myself when I was about 14 and just joining the wild world of the internet. It's kind of cute. But that doesn't mean I need to pay attention him. No worries, his personal vendetta against me won't stop me from participating.

Nadia:

I would never think you would exonerate anyone doing wrong to others. Though the trick here is how interpretation, even heavily twisted, can be a problem. Such as the church during the Crusades did have political reasons. A lot of it was obtaining subjects, money and property and to continue to be able to rule over. Though it was done in the name of and for God. At least that is what they told themselves and their subjects. The basis of it all in all is GREED.

Yes. It was human greed pure and simple. And I agree that the Bible has been HEAVILY twisted in many instances and that *is* a huge problem. You won't find any argument from me there. The fact that it was done "in the name of God" irks me because it was really done "in the name of the almighty dollar" (granted, they were doubloons or whatnot back then, but you get my point).

But they were able to interpret things and words in the bible in a way to show them to be right. We see it from time to time now with some things that happen. It may not be what Jesus preached and tried to spread, but it is how some followers interpret things. Then you also add in that fallible men wrote the bible. Which is where you will find "Suffer no witches", "If a woman wishes to hear the words of God, she is to wait until her husband returns home and he is supposed to tell her. Women were not allowed in church." and so on and so forth.

Ah, now we're getting into the fun stuff. These things that you're quoting are in there, but I believe fully that they applied to a group of people thousands of years ago. Romans was a collection of letters from Paul to various churches, giving them advice on how to proceed in handling specific problems that were explicitly relegated to those churches in that particular time period. Beyond that, I believe that the nitty gritty details... well let's be realistic: the Bible is over 1,500 years old and society has changed drastically since then.

I fully believe that man wrote the Bible, God didn't sit up there with a quill. It's an oral tradition of an ancient civilization that contains a great deal of historical merit (whether some of the "miracles" happened as stated or not, they're *stories* after all) as well as the account of a God and a bunch of rules that I think I am comfortable living my life by. Beyond that, I've had personal experiences that suggest to me that Christianity is the right path... for me. The addition of that last "for me" really encompasses my thoughts. Everyone has a different path to walk and I don't believe there is a single universal truth. There is no One "right way". There are many paths to the divine and this one simply works for me. I don't expect it to work for everyone.

There is a good bit of allowance for smiting if I remember correctly. The difference is that YOU understand a lot of that is from beliefs of men who wrote the bible, that the basis of Jesus' teachings is peace and love for one another and so on. I would NEVER think you would be one to take everything said in the bible literally and I would think you would be one to stop and say "Hey...what the heck...that is not right and not what Jesus/God meant or would want.".  Sadly, there are many still who unlike you would very well jump on the bandwagon as long as someone said it is in the bible and God said so. It is just human nature.

There is allowance for smiting in the Old Testament. A LOT of it. However, in the New Testament one of the biggest stories was the one where Jesus saved the whore, saying "he who is without sin cast the first stone". The break off point between the Old Testament (which is full of grit, slaying, castrations, murder, rape, and pillage) and the New Testament is Jesus' teachings. This is why I am Christian, not Jewish. I believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ, not necessarily everything in the Old Testament.

Personally, I look at the OT (Old Testament) as the historical background that gave Jesus the place that he occupied. It is interesting, and it is important, but it is more "backstory" than it is the main focus of my faith. However, to be fair, I don't usually sit around thinking "WWJD?" I usually question whether something is morally right or not based on my own compass (which is very much aligned with the Ten Commandments as well as Jesus' teachings) which means I search for the answers from within rather than asking someone else to tell them to me.

It is a tragedy that there are so many people out there that will just blindly follow whatever they're spoon-fed from a man with a book standing behind a pulpit. But that's not something that I really agree with either. Don't get me wrong, as Night Watchman said, there is a very important community place for a church (there's a powerful psychological effect of having a group of people that you can turn to for solace in times of turmoil) but I don't think I find need for someone to tell me what to believe or preach at me every week. Personally, I spend my Sundays in the dojo training with a sword. That's my holy time.

-- Heinlein's Razor
The Night Watchman
Level 2 Contributor

Empathic energy vampire

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »

RK:

You continue to dig yourself into deeper and deeper holes.  You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and obviously haven't even read half of the posts on this thread.

1) Christianity (from the Greek word Xριστός, Khristos, "Christ", literally "anointed one") is a monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as presented in the New Testament.

I call myself a Christian because it is the closest religion that corresponds with my beliefs.  As stated, my faith is personal and my beliefs are my own.  However, I will not go into exactly what they are since I believe you will only shoot them down and seek to insult as you have proven is your way.

2) What are you talking about when you say "persecution over nothing?"  Who here has claimed persecution?

3) You need to back off of Sentinel.  Once again, I remind that she came here only to seek information and has received nothing but condescending and trite commentary from you.

If you had bothered to read my posts, or have given any thought whatsoever to the subject of religion, then you would realize that no, religion is most assuredly not always a choice.  Not one that is so easily made anyway when it's a choice between religion or persecution, death, or remaining in poverty and turmoil.  Religion, especially in the past, was used directly as a political tool and vice versa.  The mentality often came like gangs.  Join us or die.  Join us and you will have people to take care of you, provisions, money, power, an army to fight with, etc.  Join us and we will take care of your family and you will receive riches in the afterlife.  Think about this before you continue to spew your rhetoric about blindly following.

4) As far as Sentinel goes, she knows exactly what she's talking about when it comes to religion and it's place in history.  She is also, and most notably, far more intelligent than you on the topic.  Just because someone doesn't specifically speak on one element of a subject doesn't mean that they know nothing of the topic, are ignorant of it, nor that they are blindly following a pointless and baseless mindset.

I ask you, sir, if you have your BA in history?  How many courses have you taken in college about religion, and how to break them down and analyze them from an objective perspective?  I didn't think so.

5) I've tried to remain calm and speak politely for the most part here, even though my instinct is to remove your throat for offending and attacking my mate.  But you are beginning to cross lines, dear raccoon.  You can blame your foul and abrasive attitude and manner on anything you like, but in the end you just come off as nothing more than another loudmouthed internet fool who wants to stir up trouble and gripe about how we are all blind for not seeing things your way and then tell us how closed minded we are for not thinking for ourselves.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: