AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 08:01:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Therianthropy & Otherkin  |  Therianthropy & Were (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Therianthropy? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Therianthropy?  (Read 23392 times)
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« on: August 27, 2010, 06:30:38 PM »

Okay, so I have a bit of a confusion boiling around my brain and I was wondering if anyone could clarify it for me. To start off, I guess I should explain a bit about myself and my situation before asking any questions.

I am not certain I'm anything, I don't necessarily believe I'm a "were-" anything. I know I have animal totems - two of them. They were confirmed by a very powerful Native American shaman. I know that my totems are the Snowy Owl (male) and Black Panther (female). I am very strongly tied to both of these animals. I feel them both very intensely and have felt their influence in my life in the totemic sense.

However, with the panther there are times that I don't wonder that she's more than that. There are times when I can feel her stalking somewhere through me, I can almost feel as though I have her sitting behind my face, fangs and all, ready to pounce something. Particularly when angry, I can almost feel her take over my body to some extent, it's very strange. I often, in those circumstances, feel confused when I realize I don't have a mouthful of fangs, nor do I have claws to rend things with. It's a great eal of raw, intense sensation that I can't quite explain any other way.

I also behave in a manner that is very feline. I purr, I will nuzzle people in a manner that is very distinctly feline, I react in a very feline manner to a great many things. I also have a habit of playing with string and so on, as well as chasing or pouncing on things that move. That isn't just in the cute "aw, kitten play!" manner and I don't feel like I'm just goofing off, those instincts are very deeply ingrained in my psyche and I tend to just... do it without thinking. I meow as well, I hiss, I growl, and all that nonsense. My other half can attest to it.

Also, in a strange twist of fate, my fiancee has always found a great deal of peace resting with his hand on my stomach (belly in particular, oddly) and it has been said that patting a cat lowers blood pressure and such. I'm not certain what any of this actually means in terms of what I am, or if it means anything, but I guess I'm kind of asking if it could be some kind of were-animal behavior?

I have a group of friends and we identify as a pack. They're all canine in nature (very different than I am) and yet I manage somehow to be the alpha. I think to be honest that it's because I'm the oldest by about 3 years (and with some by 6+) and I have a very dominant personality while they have more submissive personalities. Either way, they all identify as canids (wolves, primarily). We are very, very physical with each other in play, we tackle each other, we bite (in an entirely nonsexual manner, I don't mean an eroticized biting) and so on, our version of play also gets very rough with the wrestling and so on and people often get bruised and so on. But it's all affectionate. We all are very animalistic and when greeting we often will just instinctively rub up against each other while hugging and what not - it's not an intentional thing it just kind of happens and has for years.

We aren't intentionally identifying ourselves as anything, we aren't trying to put ourselves out there as therianthropes. But anyway, my question is more personal - what am I? Is this just a close tie to a totem animal or am I a therian?

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
-- Alexander Pope, Unknown , 1688-1744

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
-- Heinlein's Razor
Hellflame
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »

I donít believe that you are a wolf. You sound more like a cat women, which, while not as dangerous as a true blooded wolf, can still be pretty strong and good at ripping creatures to shreds. But something that I have to say is that you should probably not date a Werewolf (I hate saying therianthrope) When I dated a cat women she tried clawing at my neck and I nearly broke her hand. Just saying from personal experience.

Don't beg for things, Do it yourself, or you won't get anything.

Wolves are like flames. Dangerous but beautiful.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »

Sentinel,

Broken down into the most simplistic terms, its safe to say that most therians are either kin or have a strong totemic presence.  Lets face it, no one is currently changing into anything else, despite how much our bodies may hurt or want to.  Still the lines between totem and kin can get very blurred.  One could say its an internal/external debate.. but then again.. I can find myself undoing my own statement.  Id have to think more on it.

Sounds to me, you might be best served by, at least for now, view it along totemic lines, but who is to say for sure.  Not I.  Not the shaman.  Thats a path for you and you alone.

From my experience.. I have a totem of octopi and wasps/bees, go figure.  It dosnt cause me much discomfort however.. or behavioral changes.  But, outside of the old memory, or the occasional visit from a local hive (people still get wierded out when a honeybee lands on my hand for a chat) it dosnt play much in my daily life.

You seem to have something more core.. pulling you, leading you on.  Perhaps you and your panther need to meet.

Ultimately, however.. you are you.  That is probably the best label I can give you on the topic.  Explore.. see where your panther leads perhaps.

Hellflame,

Its a bit concerning that you attribute a lack of control on your part to an external attribute of therianism.  By your own words.. you nearly injured someone.  That dosnt mean you have so much power.. just you have so little control.   Thats a weakness.. not a strength.  Be careful, and always be mindful of your actions.. even more so if you truly have the connection you claim.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:24:37 PM »

Hellflame:

I don't think I'm a wolf either, that's why I said therianthrope not lycanthrope. To be honest, I would say that felines are just as dangerous as canids. The advantage a canid has is a pack, but you put a panther up against a solitary wolf and that panther likely will win by sheer size ratio. However, their downfall is that they are solitary so the wolves likely have a pack to turn to for defense and protection whereas felines are more solitary.

I don't know what kind of crazy kinky stuff you were at, but I bite and claw at my big wolf man all the time (My fiancee's totems are wolf and tiger) and he loves it. Of course, we're pretty rough anyway, and I don't just mean sexually, I mean in general.

PD:
Thank you! That's the most insightful response I've recieved on this question anywhere I've asked yet. I have spoken to my panther, but she does not use words, she simply uses cat noises. She comes out often, almost taking over my body in many situations. I have another totem - a snowy owl - but he is by far the lesser of the two. However, he is still there.

You have an ocupus totem? I really... am having to restrain myself from teasing you about tentacle hentai Wink But all jest and joking aside, my totem causes a great deal of my behavior. I actually will behave as a cat very frequently and often find myself subconsciously thinking as a predator and a feline - I'm not a vampire so I can't blame my instincts to bite and such on that.

I do know that I am me, I'm not afraid of it I'm just trying to identify it. The quest for giving what I am, and experience, some kind of name is necessary for me because of my psychological state (I have CPTSD and so it's hard for me sometimes). I know I have a very deep pull somewhere, but I know my Panther, she's been with me for years. Same with the dragon (childish and silly as that may seem), though the owl is new. There's some kind of driving force behind all of this but I'm trying to piece together what. It's not easy.

Thank you very much for the guidance, PD, I appreciate it immensely.

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.

-- Heinlein's Razor
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:58:24 AM »

Im glad it was helpful! 

I cant really claim were of any sort myself, but can certainly relate to not feeling human.  Hell, I dont even think its safe to say terrestial, lol.  But such is what it is.

I usually find it better to tackle the hard stuff with a bit of a buffer.  Considering it a totem or a past life is a nice mental compartment if nothing else.

There can be a mix of past lives, spiritual connection, and third party vibration going on.

And yeah.. I get ya on the times when the animalistic side wants to just take over.  For me.. its happened when I was really sick, or really drunk (heh).  Have a nice safe place with understanding people to keep an eye on you.. its a bit of a walk up to the abyss and look down scenario.  For me.. those experiences have been very rewarding.. offering insights of some of my pasts and current goals... but I cant say they were always pleasant.

How far down the rabbit hole will your panther lead you?

Heh, yeah.. tentacles and stingers.  I like them both.  I think the octopi really stems from a past life.. but yeah.. them critters have made an physical appearance in my life a few times.. and those Japanese are on to something:  Tentacles are AWESOME!  But.. they are wonderfully smart critters too.. tool users, strong and flexible. 

Bees and wasps.. especially, but many insects are very logical.. mindlessly so.  Practically robotic.. and with great styling too.  Makes sense for a engineer to have a connection with them.  Wink

Paindancer
Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »

Is this just a close tie to a totem animal or am I a therian?
I've posted similar recently, and when i posted about it in another forum, it was mentioned that totem animals sometimes 'take over' or something like that to tell us things..
I'd keep an open mind about it, if you can ask your panther why this happens, or what it means, you should, but also observe and keep aware what goes on with yourself and find your own conclusion from the process..

sorry i can't offer much more for advice Sad

RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »

Hm. Apparently, some clarification would seem to be in order. 

From my personal experience - being one who is Therian and has danced more than one dance with this subject - the notions and concept of Therian and totem are different. Therian, by the definition I know it, is someone whose spirit, in whole or part, IS a real world animal (that is to say, faes, griffins and other mythological creatures aren't classed within Therianthropy).  As I have stated before, I am a raccoon Therian, meaning that a very large part - not all of it, but a substantial portion - of what makes up my living spirit is that of a raccoon. Its always a part of me, my conscious and subconscious, and its always having an effect on my behaviors and actions, usually subtle but not always.  On the other hand, totems are spirits that reside and originate outside ones own body and spirit, be it for the native belief of guiding and aiding, the walk-in concept, or outright spirits with malevolent intent. That latter would be in the grey area of weather its a totem or not, but the effects and results are quite similar - influencing the human life they are playing with.  One could further state that the key difference here is that a totem's influence may  'come and go', or go on and off light a light being switched - relating to weather the totem is present and active, or not.

Overall, the exterior result to most would appear similar, but internally - or those well educated and experienced in the topic - generally can see the difference. One could ask, "What does it matter?", to which I would respond, "the knowledge of ones own self identity and, for want of word, construction."

I would also suggest looking for yourself, rather than simply listening to others and what they think.   You might find yourself surprised by what you find.

Automotive Necromancer
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 12:19:06 PM »

I dunno koon, I think it is a blurirer concept than you are making it out to be, and the premise of 'if you dont agree you dont understand' dosn't bring much value to the table either.

I find, very often, our desire for individuality seperates us from what we are a part of.  Say for example a person understands they have a strong animal influence.  If they externalize it as something seperate, they gravitate to calling it totem.  If they internalize it.. they call it therian.  Perhaps.. these lines are simply not so clear cut in the first place.  I know I have traits.. I call them totem simply because I believe they are connections.. to other incarnations of other fractals of myself (I know.. sounds wierd here).  Its not completely external however.

having a connection to a animal type for me.. dosnt really fit totem or therian.  Its not a driving pattern in this lifetime, however.  A part of me, of which this existence is also a part of, likely was in fact something very similar to an octopus at one point.  Almost a second hand therianship, so to speak.

Paindancer
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »

Well, you could just simply like an animal too.

Automotive Necromancer
sphynxcatvp
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 02:28:29 AM »

Quote from: RKCoon
As I have stated before, I am a raccoon Therian, meaning that a very large part - not all of it, but a substantial portion - of what makes up my living spirit is that of a raccoon. Its always a part of me, my conscious and subconscious, and its always having an effect on my behaviors and actions, usually subtle but not always.
I'm inclined to agree with RK's assessment here.

My caveat: I'm not therian. Smiley But vampirism can be described (in the basic principle as outlined above) in a similar manner, so I don't see why being therian would work that differently. 

I do see the totemic aspects as being different, more applying to those who are perhaps in touch with nature, or more spiritual, or whatever you call it...but not necessarily therian. (Though I don't see any reason why a therian wouldn't have a totemic guide or guides if the situation calls for it - and that may be where some of the confusion comes in. It can certainly blur the lines, at least.)

~SphynxCatVP
Community Old Fart :-)
Webmaster, SphynxCat's Real Vampire's Support Page
Follow me on Twitter, too
Visit Shambala, my new forum!
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 01:48:19 PM »

I was told by a shaman they are totems, I know that the snowy owl is. I am not convinced that the panther isn't more than that, I've never really externalized it or internalized it, I just kind of felt a deep connection with them. Not in the sense that "ooh, they're pretty, I need posters!" since I don't have any posters or images of them anywhere and don't sit there drooling over them. I act in a manner that is unashamedly feline, ask anyone who knows me. That's why I'm asking about it, I have such a powerful feline instinct (down to pouncing on moving laser pointers...) that I had to question whether or not it was just a totemic creature or a part of me.

-- Heinlein's Razor
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 01:28:36 AM »

I note a running trend with you, Sentinel -- You are told a lot of things, my question to you is what do you think for yourself about it?

Automotive Necromancer
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 04:28:15 AM »

You know, RK, I'm told a lot of things and I tend to try and gain as much information as possible before forming my own conclusions, hence my asking other people that may know more than I do.

You seem to think that I wander along like a sheep following whatever people say. That couldn't be further from the truth. However, that doesn't mean that I won't deeply consider things told to me by people whose opinions and credibility I respect. And even people whose credibility and opinions I don't yet know and may not respect.

In my training and eventual completion of my degree in history, I was taught to gather as much information as humanly possible about a subject from as many sources as possible and then I compile and cross-reference it, considering the information, its source, its relevance and than taking into account what I think and feel about it before I draw any conclusions. What you are witnessing is the "information gathering" phase of my research and mistaking that for asking to blindly be led.

In the future, I wouldn't draw conclusions before gathering all the facts. It usually is unbecoming.

-- Heinlein's Razor
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 04:41:13 AM »

o.O Really? You really wanna go down that line of reasoning? You really want to make that claim?

Automotive Necromancer
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 04:42:27 AM »

Which one, the one that you're suggesting that I wasn't thinking or the line that I research things before I open my mouth?

-- Heinlein's Razor
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: