AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:54:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Energy Work, Psionics, & Paranormal Studies  |  General Psi | Psychic | Psionics | Energetic Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Why I Don't Believe In Psionics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Why I Don't Believe In Psionics  (Read 58890 times)
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« on: July 27, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »

Or, "top ten things Ive been accused of." Lets start with that first actually.

10. starting any number of online fights to feed from. riiiiight.
9. astral rape
8. astral pregnancy
7. astral possession
6. astral attacks (different from the rape supposedly)
5. killing a persons kin side - again, online (astrally?)
4. forming my own little cult, for simply having people that AGREE with me
3. being a devil, demon, Antichrist, insert term here
2. turning someone into a vamp, over the net, from Canada to England (NEW!)
1. traveling, in the span of ONE night, well over 5000 miles, from northwestern Canada, to the southeast US, threatening someone directly with a knife, and returning for work the next day.

Note what dominates that list. You got it, energy/astral/related.  See, that's the funny thing about the astral, or about energy working - There is no way to prove Jack.  Belanger 'tried' to prove herself (which I thoroughly dissected here - http://rkcoon.xanga.com/730781222/repost/ ), but ultimately, all the methods and theories were so full of holes it was pathetic, to anyone with even a decent high school education. Bringing it into context here, my point is this - with the utter un-provability - and indeed, unreliability - of what energy vampirism is supposed to be, anyone that approaches it with a logical, rational mindset quickly realizes that, sorry bucko, its all crap. Its got about as much substance, to be blunt, as a religion believing in any god that hasn't been proven to exist - which is ALL of them.  People believe it, I'm not denying that part, gods know there's been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much drama regarding it (including these fabled 'psionic wars' that apparently were just before I came on the scene). Friendships forged and destroyed, boards formed and wiped out, alliances made and changed, all for what?

Seriously, for WHAT?

Nothing.

Absolutely, totally, completely, NOTHING.  And I admit, for a long while, I bought into the crap too, feeding online and shit like that - but as I got older, and more educated in particular, I realized -  Its all a bunch of fluff.  Now, obviously, I am not god (though some seem to think I have godlike powers - read the list up top), so I cannot say for rock solid 100% complete certainty that, absolutely not, it's all fiction, but I can say, in my experience, in my wanderings, NO ONE has been able to prove it online, nor IRL. I'm not referring to reading one's spirit, I am referring to actually effecting another human being across the wondrous internets *coughsarcasmcough*. Every time that someone claimed to attack me? Nothing. Every time someone claimed I attacked them? Wishful thinking.  Everything else? Placebo effect. The brain THINKS its happening and therefore tells the body it IS happening.  Its really the same reason I dont claim to be a witch anymore either - nothing WORKS. Nothing Ive ever done/tried to do has done diddly, nor has anything anyONE has tried to do to me been any more effective. 

Now, to be clear, this is not me saying, I'm not a kin, this is me saying, as far as any form of long distance/long range energy workings go, I call pure, total bullshit. And as far as my kin DOES go, its a spiritual/mental thing anyway, with, currently, no way to prove it either, so i admit that yes, i could be potentially as whacked as the people buying into psionics too, if one wanted to REALLY stretch it.  In the end, IMHO, psionics has been nothing more than excuse used by people to stir shit up. "Oh, he attacked me, ima go talk smack bout him."  "Oh, he turned her over the internets into a vampire." 

Yea, WHATEVER.  Much like religion, if you want to believe in it, its certainly your choice - but dont be surprised when some of us take you less seriously for it - at least, until you can back it up. And, much like religion, the only power it has is what people put INTO it - not what comes out of it of its own accord.

But go ahead, Prove me wrong - If any of you can.

Oh, and btw - if you found this post offensive - I suggest analyzing why, past the obvious "Your an asshole" thought, because, for all of the speech I just said, I will also say, I DO recognize the effectiveness of words alone - I mean, what I just said pissed some of yas off, right? Wink

Automotive Necromancer
Taris
Level 3 Contributor

Feel free to contact me for discussions.

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:47:10 PM »

This should be an interesting "debate" lol. Not going to involve myself in it of course but have fun with the results of the post XD.

Going back into the shadows again. Hope those within the community can solve what needs to be solved and those new to it can handle it or run while ya can lol.

Back somewhat but still determining if things are fixed >.> XD Can contact me via PM for discussion or hit me up on facebook.
Thought
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 09:05:41 PM »

I would never presume to try and force you to believe anything that I or anyone else does.  However, I find that the best way to live life is to leave open the possibility of things.  It allows you to experience things that you might not be able to if you close your mind entirely. 

As for what you have been accused of...sounds to me more like a case of internet drama with a focus on astral projection to me.  I've been accused of a lot of things to my face that were also ridiculous.  Some people just like to hear themselves talk.  I had a man I'd never met call me once and ask me to have sex with him again.  Again?  I didn't know I had the first time, but apparently he was SURE I was with him the night before even though I was out of town for work and no where near where he lived. 

My advice is to just enjoy your life and do not focus on such things.  I'm sure you'd be much happier.   Grin

iVamp : Ask me what kinds of Apps I come with.
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:22:01 PM »

Oh I am, dont get me wrong - Much more pleasant with the knowledge Im long since past the stupidity.  But, it was all something I felt needed saying.  Wink

Automotive Necromancer
Thought
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:28:39 PM »

Good for you.  Cheesy

The way that I see it.  You can't prove or disprove that I don't take in energy from the world in order to stay healthy and I can't prove or disprove that you have a kinship to animal spirits.  And I'm ok with that. 

I'm happy.

You're happy.

The end.  Cool

iVamp : Ask me what kinds of Apps I come with.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 11:28:40 PM »

*golf claps*

Why would this make anyone mad?  You are entitled to your opinion.

Of course, this could just be another attempt to create and feed on drama.    Who knows.  I dont think anyone needs to feed you by getting mad, however.

I am sorry your personal practice is ineffectual.  That does not invalidate those of us who are capable.  Sorry.  Decent practitioners do not need your approval or belief to function.

Can you prove you are a kin, as you claim?  (just asking)

Oh, and technically, #2 was not a successful turn, since you brought it up.  I believe you described it as intentionally damaging and draining to jump start an awakening, if our conversations from years back were accurate.  Mostly, just damage was done.  Please be accurate if you would like to refer to the indecent in the future.  My assuming you are sloppy is not the same as believing you can turn someone.  I apologize profusely if I was unclear on that.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:05:38 AM »

Actually, considering I didnt know about it at ALL till you dropped your little accusation, twas you that initially brought it up, not I. (Still hilarious as all hell, and deeply telling, mind you. Feeling a tad defensive?) Further, I did say, I cant prove anything at all, kin or otherwise, and that I COULD be as cracked as the rest of the locals here that believe in even more outlandish things than me. 

Now, as I also said (it is called reading and paying attention), any and every time someone has claimed to attempt anything in towards my direction, nothing happened. At all.  My observations of others in action not involving me revealed also the same; nothing that could not also be answered with the same placebo effect. 

Which brings up something I wanted to mention to, this notion I heard a while back. "If you get into an argument with someone and feel drained after, they may be a psyvamp."

Who the hells came up with this, anyway? I mean, honestly. Think about what one's mind and body is doing in an argument - the brain is working at higher than normal speeds, and there is adrenalin and other hormones/chemicals being pumped into the body, as your mind recognizes its in a conflict, and the body's reaction to this is to add these chemicals to aid in the natural, historic 'fight or flight' instinct. At  the end of the argument, the body is going to be winding down from this induced high.  This is a natural response to a conflict. No mystery, no chicken guano here.   

Again, nothing more than something made up to make drama and fake hype.

Automotive Necromancer
Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 05:37:17 PM »

The brain THINKS its happening and therefore tells the body it IS happening.
This is exactly why i cannot claim any personal vampirism of my own.
These questions i asked myself about 4 years ago.. Despite my belief at the time, the feelings and sensations, it could have all been placebo (and still could be) or simply me wanting to believe. I convinced myself that i was a) a vampire, b) Imagining it all or c) insane. I could not prove any of it to myself without any questions or doubt left over and the belief that i could be loosing my mind was something i was not comfortable with.

I try to keep an open mind about other individuals. i do believe it's possible and try to keep an open mind. I just.. personally can't comprehend or fully accept any personal condition or being of my own, though i know my experiences and my 'sensations' and other things that i "just know".. it's all questionable and intangible..

I've never attempted to attack anyone and don't fully believe (nor has it been confirmed) if anyone has attacked me in a metaphysical way. or anything else you've mentioned.. i have little to no experience, so i can't say.

you've not upset me.. at least not directed towards you.. though i am uneasy in feeling you may have further fueled my doubt in myself and what i've been struggling to believe, or let go of, for years.
Belfazaar
Level 3 Contributor

A stroll through the graveyards can be quite relax

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 08:01:48 PM »

A bit off topic, but thought it would be fun to throw out here (hope you don't mind, RK)

This is the direct quote from wisegeek.com...

The term psi originated in 1942 with B.P. Wiesner and Robert H. Thouless. They wanted a word that would describe both extrasensory perception (ESP) and psychokinesis. ESP is the ability to sense things that are beyond the reach of the five senses, and psychokinesis is the ability to influence the physical world with the mind alone. Later, science-fiction editor John W. Campbell Jr. coined the term psionics in the February 1956 issue of his magazine, Astounding Science Fiction.

For the whole article (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-psionics.htm)

The term psionic doesn't appear again  until Marvel Comics with the Sue Storm Richards, the Invisible Girl/Woman in 1961 and then the creation of Professor X and Marvel Girl in 1963... *shrugs* So I'm a geek...

And... If you really want a good giggle read this article... http://www.williamjames.com/Folklore/PSIONICS.htm

My personal take on all of this, RK... You have the right to voice your opinion and I've a bit of empathy for you on some of it, but being a spiritualist (as opposed to a religious person)... I believe in the psychic abilities I've come to rely on... Do I use the term 'psionic'? Nope. Not unless I am playing a character that has what is termed 'psionics' in any of the myriad of tabletop and online games I enjoy...

Vitae Dominae,

Belfazaar Ashantison
Founder and Elder, House of Mystic Echoes
Founder of NOVA (New Orleans Vampire Association)

"Wizard's Fourth Rule (from Temple of the Winds): "There is magic in forgiveness, the magic to heal. In forgiveness you grant, but more so, in forgiveness you receive." (Terry Goodkind from the Sword of Truth Series)
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »

You are welcome to your opinions, but they do not invalidate my experiences. I believe fully in astral travel, though most of what you're talking about in that post is silly talk. There's a lot of fluff around about what "astral mumbojumbo" goes on. A lot of fluff. But there's also a lot of bullshit in a lot of Christianity.

Alright, crossing into REALLY controversial territory, so please understand that whether you believe in Christianity or not, I am a Christian and my beliefs are mine alone. I am not preaching, I am not trying to convert anyone and I am not going to argue about the merits/flaws of my religion. /disclaimer

I am, as previously stated, Christian. But there's a lot of bullshit fluff surrounding Christianity - I acknowledge and agree that there is - however that doesn't stop there from being core truths. So, with that said, one doesn't have to believe everything about a particular group of people or believe all the bullshit (use common sense) in order for there to be genuine truths underlying things.

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
-- Alexander Pope, Unknown , 1688-1744

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
-- Heinlein's Razor
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 09:00:51 PM »

Psionics, psiotics, psychics, i suppose i should of generalised the title a bit more - essentially anything to do with energy working that cant be proven in any real way shape or form is what I am calling bunk on.  And Sentinel? More than lots.

Automotive Necromancer
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 09:17:18 PM »

I won't pretend otherwise, RK. However, I have plenty of "proof" that is sufficient to prove to me that what I have experienced is real and to those that have experienced with me. Everyone must find their own proof, though to make grandiose claims about anything is to invite criticism and rightfully so. "I CAN SET FIRES WITH MY BRAIN!!" That sort of thing is immediately suspect and should be examined with a great deal of skepticism. However, that said to close your mind off to the possibility of something is to narrow yourself.

Naturally, if you open your mind too far your logic will start flailing its arms and screaming so absolutely consider the logic, the science, the physics, and the provability - but you can't just go on that. Science, as wonderful as it is, is a fledgling pursuit in this world. Do I believe that most hoodoo can be debunked or explained scientifically? Absolutely. But to assume that there's nothing beyond what our frail little minds can comprehend at the moment is pretty narrow minded. Take an astronomy class sometime and try and consider the sheer size of the universe and then consider what else we don't know.

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.

-- Heinlein's Razor
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »

Well if you want sheer size, you dont even need astronomy, try wrapping your brain around this concept --

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zE-IZynfKM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8zE-IZynfKM</a>

And for the record, I dont close off myself to the possibility of gods - indeed, I do think the ancient gods of old did exist in some manner (likely that as postulated in a number of star trek episodes, notably, "Who Mourns for Adonais?", where they were merely advanced beings that came to our planet for some fun.) I Do NOT, however, believe that the judeoxtian god exists, but it and it alone can feel free to prove me wrong - Also not going to happen, and all the blind faith put into the faiths will never change that.

Automotive Necromancer
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 10:22:36 PM »

Your beliefs are entirely yours and I will never try and change that. However, this isn't about Christianity - this is about the possibility of things beyond ourselves and whether we can prove things like psychic abilities or not. And I still maintain that science, for all its power and brilliance, doesn't yet have the tools to unlock even a tenth of the human mind's potential so what's to say that the less outrageously stupid things claimed might not be possible?

-- Heinlein's Razor
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 10:33:43 PM »

Different titles, different groups, same concept - that which is unprovable to exist.

Automotive Necromancer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: