AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Religion, Spirituality, & Philosophy  |  Other Religious, Spiritual, & Philosophical Paradigms (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Technomancy: Feasible? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Technomancy: Feasible?  (Read 50230 times)
childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 12:22:01 AM »

I think that to say long distance feeding or energy work based on conversations in instant messenger needs to be proven is rather bogus. We can't even scientifically prove that energy feeding of any type actually happens, or that the need genuinely exists.

I repeat... If we say something doesn't exist because it hasn't been proven, than vampirism, otherkin, magic(k), none of those exist, and every one of us who claims to be such or practice such are all deluding ourselves. Also, to say that something doesn't exist because we ourselves haven't personally experienced it is equally as silly. I haven't seen the northern lights, I've never seen a giraffe, I've never actually seen blood cells. Does that mean they don't exist?

After a long and painful absence, I am finding my way once more back to the arms of Goddess.
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 12:27:18 AM »

Therein lies the rub, childofthespiral - All the latter things you mentioned, science HAS proven. With energy work, science has looked into it, and said, so far, with the equipment we have, nope, sorry, no dice.

Automotive Necromancer
childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 02:27:43 AM »

So, you're saying that vampirism as understood on this forum doesn't actually exist?

After a long and painful absence, I am finding my way once more back to the arms of Goddess.
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 09:28:12 AM »

Not according to the current standards of science. The ironic thing is, we take vampirism to exist on exactly the same notion that religious people take their god/s to exist - on personal faith. People will bitch about me saying that, but its the cold, hard truth.

Automotive Necromancer
NyteMuse
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 11:52:47 AM »

Not according to the current standards of science. The ironic thing is, we take vampirism to exist on exactly the same notion that religious people take their god/s to exist - on personal faith. People will bitch about me saying that, but its the cold, hard truth.

Speaking as a religious person, I have to agree with RK. I cannot prove to a reasonable extent that my gods actually come down in ritual and possess people. I cannot prove beyond faith that when we do a spell or working in circle, it actually does something. I have faith it does. Just like I have faith that when I envision these wings or tendrils or whatever drawing in someone's energy.

I'm not saying vampirism=religion. I just agree with RK that one major reason attempt to present to the rest of society have failed is because we try and present it as science and we don't have the facts to support it.
childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 06:05:28 PM »

Things have to exist before they're proven to exist, before they can be proven. Science can only prove that which is already true. Things don't suddenly pop into existence just because humans develop the ability to prove they do. Did blood cells not exist until the microscope was invented, and then once it was *poof* red blood cells?

Just because science can't prove it yet, doesn't mean it isn't there or doesn't happen. Plus, there's all kinds of things science has proven, then disproved, then proven again. Not too long ago science said that butter was good for you because of the bodys' need for calcium. Then suddenly butter was bad for you because of all the fat and salt. Now, butter is good for you again because artificial flavorings and ingredients in artificial butter are being shown to contribute to increased rates in cancer.

Science is a tool for understanding, nothing more. It's not the end-all be-all people make it out to be, and it doesn't have all the answers because, like religion, it is human created and humans are profoundly prone to making mistakes.

Maloryn
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »

Really wish I'd been around for this thread and sorry it was derailed by a wonky personality conflict...

---Mal
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »

Nothing wrong with a little thread necromancy on a technomancy discussion!  Tongue

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Alice
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2012, 10:36:09 PM »

First let me admit I didn't read this whole thread. I skimmed. Time's a factor for me sometimes.

Regarding the subject of distance feeding. Of course it's possible, anyone who believes otherwise probably has little real life experience with energy work (please note that using the same one healing method over and over for years doesn't count as much experience). Most magical workings are performed in a ritual space significant to the caster. The subject of the spell is very very rarely there. Who here has ever cast a spell for a job by going and throwing a special powder in the face of their prospective employer? If a person has to be there to cast a spell on them, then a hundred thousand years of witch doctors were wasting their time trying to curse people.

Anyone who has experience with astral projection knows that for the energetic body distance is almost a non-factor. My average travel time from Oklahoma to Virginia is about twelve seconds. All I need is a name, a photo, a personal item, a lock of hair, or even a screen name, and I can do all kinds of lovely things to anyone, anywhere.

I've used chatrooms to make that connection. Works about as well as a name. I've actually visualized myself doing things like reaching through a computer screen and smacking people. It works as well as anything else.

I think the aversion to the concept of technomancy is part of something greater. Magical practitioner/psychics/ what have you (sorry vamps, that includes you) have a tendency to be neophobic and enamoured with "the old ways". Many insist on the use of mortar and pestle in spite of the fact that a blender does the job just as well. The justification is that more of your energy goes into it when you do it by hand. First, if you're an energy worker worth your salt you can put energy into a blender; second, someone said the same thing once about a mortar and pestle and spent the rest of their days using a little rock to rub herbs against a big rock. We have to draw the line somewhere.

I'll never be a technomancer. Technology does not love me. I'm lucky to be able to work Google. I like books and plants. Even so, I warded my message board, and I need to try Dorothy Morrison's spell for attracting people to your website.

By the way, in Neo-Hellenism (which is my thing) there is considered to be a new Greek goddess who is becoming slowly more widely recognized. Kyberia, goddess of the internet and the new technologies associated with the information age. She's kind of the Olympian IT girl, and daughter of Hermes (ingenuity and communication) with Hecate (change). That kind of lends credence to any magical use of technology.

May you find what you seek,
Alice

The stars can only be seen at night.

May you never lose sight of your path, may there always be a light for  you at the journey's end, and may you find what you seek. -Alice's  Blessing

Proprietor of The Dragon and Sphinx community and shop and Art of Creation.

Visit my blog please.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: