AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:11:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Religion, Spirituality, & Philosophy  |  Other Religious, Spiritual, & Philosophical Paradigms (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Technomancy: Feasible? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Technomancy: Feasible?  (Read 50231 times)
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »

It was recently proposed that feeding over the internet was not possible.  This brought up some discussion on distance work in general and the overall discussion, which probably warranted its own thread, in what I am calling technomancy.

First of all, what is technomancy?  I would suggest it is the practice of using technology, the web, and computers in metaphysical practice, spellwork, and energy work.

It can be expected that most resistance to the concept would come from folk practitioners, who have a heavy reliance on nature and life cycles in their own practice.  Elements of technomancy are certainly foreign and oppositional to this practice.  Yet, there are certainly similarities and parrallels.

Say one creates a sigil to embody intent of a spell.  If the creation of that sigil is looped graphically on a screen, could the power of that sigil be increased via the repetition?  Would an observer need to be there, or can the act of creation alone be sufficient to cause effect?

Consider the internet for a moment.  Many of us, spend time on boards or in some sort of virtual presence.  In a sense, we are creating avatars or servitors of ourselves to represent us in this common virtual space.  On a given board, we generally have a name and a sigil (icon) to represent us.  Quite a lot of demonology centers around those two factors as well so one could parrallel that this alone is enough to connect.  Factor in the amount of energy we pour into these servitors in time, attention etc, and you could very well have a significant link back to the user.

On an energy level the situation becomes a little more obvious.  The intranet is a tapestry of thought given form.  One could draw many parallels with the function of the astral in this regard.   Certainly, there is a physical network of light and energy at play as well, and these could conceivably be conduits for work on several levels.  Could the function of a charm be paralleled in the use of a electronic device a target keeps near them at all times?  Like a cell phone, perhaps?

Setting aside some of the theory, and going back to parallels.  Much magikal practice uses a way to identify a subject at a distance.  At its base, technomancy merely uses a subjects virtual footprint to identify and possibly transmit intent, in the place of  blood, hair, or effigies.  Certainly, not everyone needs to use any of these methods, but the possibility to use them is reasonable. 

By extension, distance based energy work, both in healing and vampirism, could also be practiced via technomancy.  Indeed, the sheer number of virtual connections being made via boards and message groups, could provide a large feeding ground if the theory was put into practice.  It would be similar to ambient feeding in a large room.

Let me ask this - is the only difference between this and astral projection the fact that it uses the internet (or other electronic communication device) as a conduit? Seems rather specific to me, and even if one DID assume for a moment projection was possible, the amount of sheer interference (electronic, magnetic, other people and sheer distance)  would prettymuch negate it altogether.   And , to be perfectly candid about it, If it were possible, id KNOW about it already, considering the long list of people ive pissed right the hell off. But, ultimately, all it winds up being is a bunch of silly words on an electronic screen. Wink

Automotive Necromancer
Nadia115
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »

-Sits down propping my steel toed boot covered feet on the table grinning evilly- RK is back on topic PD. It would behoove you to do the same and keep it that way instead of making silly not so well veiled insults in his direction. KWIM?  Cool
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 11:35:42 PM »

[quote author=RKCoon link=topic=1975.msg17272#msg17272 date=1292291460

Let me ask this - is the only difference between this and astral projection the fact that it uses the internet (or other electronic communication device) as a conduit? Seems rather specific to me, and even if one DID assume for a moment projection was possible, the amount of sheer interference (electronic, magnetic, other people and sheer distance)  would prettymuch negate it altogether.   And , to be perfectly candid about it, If it were possible, id KNOW about it already, considering the long list of people ive pissed right the hell off. But, ultimately, all it winds up being is a bunch of silly words on an electronic screen. Wink

[/quote]

I suppose that is one way to look at the concept.  Conduit based.  Using the tools and environment.  While I agree it could be open to lots of interference, it could also simplify things as well.  (Not everyone feels comfortable with EM, but nearly everyone is near a electrical outlet, has a phone, etc) Do some people practice this?  Absolutely.  Can it be proven?  No more so than any metaphysical concept I suppose.  One aspect, could be using psudo astral projection, but with the lines as guides, almost mini ley lines.  (theoretical, imaginative speculation here)

As for your personal experience not noticing this.. it could be for many reasons, including the theory being inaccurate.  It could also be that you have a negative kama cycle so intense that a bit of hostility directed your way is a drop in the bucket.  (I dont know this, it is just a counter example).  Have I practiced this, from sigil tracing to energy work?  Yes, and I feel it has worked positively, but its entirely possible that events in my life worked out by coincidence instead of intent.  This topic, as many here, tend to wax philosophic.

It is nice, btw, to see you skepticaly discussing a concept instead of simply insulting it and those who consider it.

Nadia, as always, if you have an issue with something I have said, feel free to PM me.  I have reviewed the posts and dont for the life of me see the accusation you are making, but would be happy to try to sort it out if you could provide some sort of clue what you are talking about.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Nadia115
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 03:07:58 PM »

(although I think you misinterpreted context and were trying to describe yourself).   In general I have found that education and open minds go hand in hand.

I may be wrong..but I was referencing this especially since you have said, I believe, int he past you find RK to have a very closed mind. It was also in reference to his post he had made describing himself as well. As far as PMs go, we have seen how unwell those have gone.
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:30:41 PM »

Just to wander slightly off topic, I make my own karma/luck, despite the efforts of many.  Beyond that, in my experience, those that lay the claim are generally full of it.

Automotive Necromancer
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »

Nadia, yes, you can find an insult there... but you have to really work at it.  I certainly didn't see it until I thought about it for a bit, and made some modifications to language structure.  I think we are a few miles past paranoia here.  

Ultimately, the universe gives you what  you want.  If you are looking for people to be against you, you will find evidence of it every time, regardless of the truth of the situation.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »

I think that to say long distance feeding or energy work based on conversations in instant messenger need to be proven is rather bogus. We can't even scientifically prove that energy feeding of any type actually happens, or that the need genuinely exists.

After a long and painful absence, I am finding my way once more back to the arms of Goddess.
Nadia115
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 09:23:55 PM »

Nadia, yes, you can find an insult there... but you have to really work at it.  I certainly didn't see it until I thought about it for a bit, and made some modifications to language structure.  I think we are a few miles past paranoia here.  

Ultimately, the universe gives you what  you want.  If you are looking for people to be against you, you will find evidence of it every time, regardless of the truth of the situation.

I didn't have to work at it at all. It was right there. I mean, you really think I would work THAT hard on what you have to say? Please, you give yourself far too much credit. I grew up with someone like you in my life. I am not stupid. You can ask him as well...want me to give you the hospital room number he is in as he lays there dieing alone? I am sure he would love your company since he alienated himself from those he was the sperm donor for.
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 09:26:29 PM »

+3

And that, kids, is what is called Pwnage.

Automotive Necromancer
Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 09:44:37 PM »

I didn't have to work at it at all. It was right there. I mean, you really think I would work THAT hard on what you have to say? Please, you give yourself far too much credit. I grew up with someone like you in my life. I am not stupid. You can ask him as well...want me to give you the hospital room number he is in as he lays there dieing alone? I am sure he would love your company since he alienated himself from those he was the sperm donor for.

Ok, children. you think we're getting a bit carried away here?
Nadia115
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 09:50:29 PM »

Mmmmm...not really. I am not seeing what you are talking about. I am being completely serious and honest here. Though it DOES remind me of something else to add to what I survived...having to live with sperm donor until I was 16 and moved out on my own.....
Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »

but Paindancer is not your father =/ though and i don't see how you're relating that situation...
Nadia115
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »

Thank Gods he is not...but that would be why I said I grew up with someone just like him (PD). I never said PD was him(my dad).  I was also giving an example of what PD was talking about as far as the universe giving you what you want. I am just not seeing how you are not catching on to all being said.
SangSavvy
Level 3 Contributor

Love is Always Fate's decision.

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 04:37:56 PM »

PD is my daddy!!  -giggles- 

-wishes-
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 10:15:26 PM »

Pity technomancy isnt real; theres a few people on my list needing a bitchslap. Cheesy

Automotive Necromancer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: