AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 03:23:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19897 Posts in 2603 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Religion, Spirituality, & Philosophy  |  Other Religious, Spiritual, & Philosophical Paradigms (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Technomancy: Feasible? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Technomancy: Feasible?  (Read 34489 times)
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« on: July 27, 2010, 10:35:05 am »

It was recently proposed that feeding over the internet was not possible.  This brought up some discussion on distance work in general and the overall discussion, which probably warranted its own thread, in what I am calling technomancy.

First of all, what is technomancy?  I would suggest it is the practice of using technology, the web, and computers in metaphysical practice, spellwork, and energy work.

It can be expected that most resistance to the concept would come from folk practitioners, who have a heavy reliance on nature and life cycles in their own practice.  Elements of technomancy are certainly foreign and oppositional to this practice.  Yet, there are certainly similarities and parrallels.

Say one creates a sigil to embody intent of a spell.  If the creation of that sigil is looped graphically on a screen, could the power of that sigil be increased via the repetition?  Would an observer need to be there, or can the act of creation alone be sufficient to cause effect?

Consider the internet for a moment.  Many of us, spend time on boards or in some sort of virtual presence.  In a sense, we are creating avatars or servitors of ourselves to represent us in this common virtual space.  On a given board, we generally have a name and a sigil (icon) to represent us.  Quite a lot of demonology centers around those two factors as well so one could parrallel that this alone is enough to connect.  Factor in the amount of energy we pour into these servitors in time, attention etc, and you could very well have a significant link back to the user.

On an energy level the situation becomes a little more obvious.  The intranet is a tapestry of thought given form.  One could draw many parallels with the function of the astral in this regard.   Certainly, there is a physical network of light and energy at play as well, and these could conceivably be conduits for work on several levels.  Could the function of a charm be paralleled in the use of a electronic device a target keeps near them at all times?  Like a cell phone, perhaps?

Setting aside some of the theory, and going back to parallels.  Much magikal practice uses a way to identify a subject at a distance.  At its base, technomancy merely uses a subjects virtual footprint to identify and possibly transmit intent, in the place of  blood, hair, or effigies.  Certainly, not everyone needs to use any of these methods, but the possibility to use them is reasonable. 

By extension, distance based energy work, both in healing and vampirism, could also be practiced via technomancy.  Indeed, the sheer number of virtual connections being made via boards and message groups, could provide a large feeding ground if the theory was put into practice.  It would be similar to ambient feeding in a large room.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Nadia115
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:51:41 am »

Hhhhmmm...very interesting. I am going to think on this for a bit and maybe do a little more research.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:12:16 am »

Hhhhmmm...very interesting. I am going to think on this for a bit and maybe do a little more research.

Looking forward to it.  Smiley

Paindancer
Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:27:12 pm »

I don't know much about spellwork or anything like that..
But i do believe anything metaphysical energy related is possible. the astral (or metaphysical) does not follow the same rules and such as the physical. I believe feeding, and other such things, via the internet is possible, i believe connections/bonds can be made.

I've witnessed it be discussed that "energy is energy" and that some can feed from the computer itself. which would get confusing.. though i guess the feed wouldn't be as satisfying, it could get confusing, are you feeding from your 'target' or whatever your intention, or are you feeding from the device that you're intending as your medium?

paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:51:15 pm »

I don't know much about spellwork or anything like that..
But i do believe anything metaphysical energy related is possible. the astral (or metaphysical) does not follow the same rules and such as the physical. I believe feeding, and other such things, via the internet is possible, i believe connections/bonds can be made.

I've witnessed it be discussed that "energy is energy" and that some can feed from the computer itself. which would get confusing.. though i guess the feed wouldn't be as satisfying, it could get confusing, are you feeding from your 'target' or whatever your intention, or are you feeding from the device that you're intending as your medium?

Going from the theoretical to practice (at least for me).

Energy is indeed energy and at least I feel I can convert to a degree.  For example, I can feed on the energy of a thunderstorm, forming a link.  Fun to do and makes me miss the superstorms of the midwest.  That type of feeding is sort of a plug in process for me, as I very rarely use my own energies in my practice.

I cannot, personally create actual life patterns.  I doubt many can due to the complexity, it would be like trying to simulate a full orchestra.  When I feed to correct my spiritual side getting out of sync with  my physical, I need to take in a portion of a living human vibration, as it is something I cannot convert.  In this mode, I consider it vampiric feeding.

Your question is intereresting, and really one I can only theorize about.  Say you set up a sigil to collect a specific energy type.. it is possible you could feed from the device which has been storing that collection.  I suppose, it is possible to feed on the EM of the device itself, akin to feeding on a thunderstorm.. it woulld become an elemental feed in that case; a practice claimed by many.  IF you can use the inernet as a conduit, I would suspect it would be the same as any form of pranic distance feeding.

Paindancer
SangSavvy
Level 3 Contributor

Love is Always Fate's decision.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 04:34:53 pm »

I'm a huge believer in this occurrence, feeling that I have experienced it personally on many occasions.  I think the way you phrased and formed the occurrence of this was very well-said.  To me, in essence, feeling an energy signature or "link" to someone is relatively easy.  I've been able to feel the energetic signature of a person I don't know or have ever come into contact with, through someone else talking about them, and feeing the energy they feel while talking about them.  Whether or not a person can do anything with another persons energy, or astral form, or even inner (subtle) body, energetically, is another story, based on the complexity of that persons energetic system structure, and/or energetic shielding techniques.   But anyhow, I feel that once you have that link through whatever internet interaction, the internet connection becomes irrelevant to the established connection. 

To elaborate on what I mean by "energy signature", I feel that every one and every thing has a specific "feeling".  Water invokes a different feeling than cardboard, than coffee, than "Matt" or "Rob" or a jar of jelly.  Everything has a specific feeling and frequency it carries.  Becoming aware of this, a person is able to tap into that sort of link. 

As far as feeding on electronics in and of itself, I have met one person so far in my experience that specifically feeds on this sort of energy and enjoys it most.  He can energetically drain batteries, odd as it may sound.  Although, it might not be so odd a concept, as one of the things any good ghost hunter knows that in order to manifest, a ghost will draw energy from around them, including electronic items such as a camera.  Many times on ghost-hunting expeditions, the cameras or voice recorders, being fully charged a moment prior, will go dead, and simultaneously the investigators will experience some sort of unexplainable phenomenon. 

Thought
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 06:44:06 pm »

I believe this is completely feasible and probably the next step in...vampire evolution?  For lack of a better way to describe it.  As SangSavvy mentioned, I too know energy workers that feed of electrical appliances.  The individual just turns on everything in his kitchen and sits for a moment drawing in the energy that it all gives off and he's ready to go.  So why wouldn't it make sense that you can do so with the internet?

From my own personal experience, I 'feel' people quite well through the internet.  I do not need much more than a few sentences on a page, and as Pain said...some sort of focal point.  I also find that the more passionate (for lack of a better term) that people are about what they're doing on the internet, the easier they are to 'feel.' 

People can leave trace amounts of themselves in a painting, a book, a short story...why not something written on the internet?  Those who have some sort of strong energy signature are the easiest to form connections with.  Sometimes this is good, and sometimes bad.

I offer up this example that I'm sure people can relate to.  What if you have a person on the internet, perhaps in the same forums, through the same hobbies or a game, maybe even facebook or the like?  Anyways, this person completely and utterly hates your guts.  You KNOW when they're around.  And you KNOW when they're 'shooting daggers' through their computer at you.  Perhaps you've even joked about it with others?  'Oh crap, So and So must be talking to you on MSN aren't they?  I can just feeeeeel the rage coming at me and I'm not even in the same window as him/her.'

Come now...we can admit we've done this. Wink

So then, I will freely admit that I have done distance feedings using the internet as a conduit with willing and spiritually close participants.  It's remarkably easy and satisfying.  The connections that are made mirror ones used with physical contact, so much so that they produce physical stimuli.  For instance, tingling sensations, goosebumps, hairs standing up, etc.

The human brain is not unlike the internet.  We have thousands of connections running all over the place, storing information here and there.  Why not leave a little bit of us in the web lines?  It's been speculation and inspiration for movies and stories for a long time.

iVamp : Ask me what kinds of Apps I come with.
Heather333
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 01:00:06 am »

About five years ago, I started to come online, this "technomancy" was the first techniques I was taught, to feel/feed from another through the computer.   IMO it's almost  easier than in person, due to the fact I have time to gather my thoughts, because I am not being bothered with others or outside influences (predominately my children, lol).  I can concentrate on their energy; decide whether I want to get to know them, what their energy feels like to me, even the flavor of their energy, as well as seeing their auras, etc . 

Connecting to another online is much easier than what people seem to want to admit. 

If you go to any 'metaphysical, Vampiric,' etc chat room, almost every individual is able to pick up on something about you.  Whether it's via an empathic, or energetic link etc through the computer.  Many forums such as this make it quite easy to 'notice' many attributes of another; you can feel their energy within just their words, particularly if they have a strong energy.   As I read above in another's response, no matter what an individual does they leave behind their mark, making it somewhat easy to connect too and as scary as it is, the possibilities are endless. 

As far as feeding via the net, the biggest issue I have come across is; although this does not apply to all, but many are online to escape their real lives, therefore, they carry a lot of emotional baggage.  I've had to learn to siphon that emotional baggage when or if I feed from them in order to not mimic their emotions. 

~Heather

Non ducor duc-- I am not led; I lead.
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 09:07:14 pm »

Friend suggested I take another look at this, as I breezed over it a while ago.

I looked up the term, technomancy. Dictionary.com had nothing at all, Wiki had a pretty sparse entry -

------------------
The term technomancy refers to an imaginary or fictional category of magical abilities that affect technology, or to magical powers that are gained through the use of technology.

It is a portmanteau of technology and -mancy, a suffix used in magical sciences to refer to specific types of fortune telling known as divination (-mancy is derived from the Greek manteia, meaning divination).

An early appearance of the term can be found in Steve Martindale's 1990 short story "Technomancy" in the magazine Aboriginal Science Fiction.

------------------

Short version - fiction.  But, Ok, to be fair, the thought of breaking the sound barrier or walking on the moon was also considered fiction at one time. However, it took a rather impressive display to correct that. That said, the methodology was figured out scientifically, reasonably, rationally.  Further, when I was younger, i bought into the whole reading energies online and all that garbage, these days however? No. It took a while, but I finally grew up out of such childish nonsense, and realized I was only fooling myself into believing such crap. And, until someone proves it, I call crap.

It is, however, useful in showing who the nuts out there are. Wink

Automotive Necromancer
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 10:27:03 am »

... or at least who has a different perception than you.

Paindancer
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 02:32:54 pm »

Thats right, someone who, for their trade, has had to develop their reasoning, rationing, logic skills to a rather fine edge, and apply it to any given situation, and sort out what is nonsense to what is the actual root of the problem.

Automotive Necromancer
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 08:43:47 am »

Yes... that could be an example of one who differs from you.  (although I think you misinterpreted context and were trying to describe yourself).   In general I have found that education and open minds go hand in hand.  I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering and am a consultant for aerospace and defense.  I get paid to make the impossible possible.  I am always delighted when I see something happen that I formerly thought unable to happen.

Human flight was considered an impossible foolish dream.  Guess I support the craziness way back at kitty hawk as I wait to board my flight form LA to NY.

Paindancer
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 09:41:34 am »

Ya know, you're really settin off my BSometer here VI. But then, i suppose it is possible you are what you claim to be, i mean, much of my job consists of trying to fix what engineers screw up, either by choice or plain flippin ignorance.

Automotive Necromancer
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 04:15:35 pm »

I suppose I should count myself fortunate that my base rate is independent from your approval.

just saying... its not necessary to have to attack folks who simply have theories you don't believe.  (back on topic then?  All this talk of me is going to my head!)

Paindancer
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 07:58:23 pm »

EDIT --- Oh Kay, i REALLY screwed the pooch on that one, for some reason my brain went to necromancy, not technomancy.  Gimme a few and ill actually come up with an APPROPRIATE response. woops.

Automotive Necromancer
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: