AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:28:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Religion, Spirituality, & Philosophy  |  Other Religious, Spiritual, & Philosophical Paradigms (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Would You Swallow Jesus & Smile? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Would You Swallow Jesus & Smile?  (Read 22247 times)
Taris
Level 3 Contributor

Feel free to contact me for discussions.

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »

Tongue Alot of people claim theirs isnt but all it is is simply suppressing it or keeping it from the public eye. I rather show it and those who take to it do those who dont dont XD.

As for the topic of the physical and spiritual. Its all said there what more is left to comment on it eh? lol

Going back into the shadows again. Hope those within the community can solve what needs to be solved and those new to it can handle it or run while ya can lol.

Back somewhat but still determining if things are fixed >.> XD Can contact me via PM for discussion or hit me up on facebook.
Thought
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »

Yeah there isn't much that hasn't already been said I think.  I just feel weird about spiritual questions.  I feel they're personal aspects of life and don't enjoy discussing them with strangers.  It's akin to an employer asking me what my sexual preference is and me having to lie to get a job.  Umm...that's none of their business ya know?  Be that as it may...I sent a 'thank you' letter to the woman in human resources.  I got an automated reply that she is out of the office...Soooo, it MIGHT be that she's out of town and hasn't properly finished going through my application yet.  Here's hoping...

iVamp : Ask me what kinds of Apps I come with.
Maenad
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 02:11:13 AM »

Thought, yea I feel well there is still a stigma being an Atheist and too if someone is a religion that you are not in either case it makes the first conversation you have with them awkward. To be honest the world would be a better place  if people kept their religion to themselves more. I know in the group I'm in on youtube some of it is just trying to get rid of negative stereotypes. Good luck on your application. <3

In vino veritas. Vero est vita.... In the process.
wendelin
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 12:48:26 PM »

I have found that your better off not talking about religion, faith, spirituality, social circles, race, and politics at any job long or short term.
It will  be hard to smile but if you need the money, just breath and do it.  Wink
Wenelin
Maenad
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 01:24:44 AM »

I have found that your better off not talking about religion, faith, spirituality, social circles, race, and politics at any job long or short term.
It will  be hard to smile but if you need the money, just breath and do it.  Wink
Wenelin

Why does that remind me a bit of taking shots of liquor? XD It's like after you need lime slices. ^__^ No salt though just because I'm not a fan of it. Wink

In vino veritas. Vero est vita.... In the process.
Taris
Level 3 Contributor

Feel free to contact me for discussions.

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 03:19:05 AM »

See the issue is wendelin seems this employment opportunity is at a religious institution and they ask about it when it comes to their employees and have certain practices. Though if im not mistaken they have strict DoL laws preventing a place of employment from factoring in religion. I would assume that is role based such as say a pastor eh? Teaching Sunday school and the like would also be those looked into to see if someone will be teaching or simply reciting the words from the bible or whatever other book. Sadly enough money may be money eh regardless of what you'd have to put up with to earn it.

Going back into the shadows again. Hope those within the community can solve what needs to be solved and those new to it can handle it or run while ya can lol.

Back somewhat but still determining if things are fixed >.> XD Can contact me via PM for discussion or hit me up on facebook.
wendelin
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 01:53:54 PM »

ok remove the smile...
I was just saying that i've worked in place like that and there are ways to get around it and still make a short term living. But still keep your eyes open for something better.

I wish you luck,
Wendelin
Heather333
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 12:05:27 AM »

OK!  Now that I have your attention with that lovely title, I'll explain what I mean.

So as people may or may not be aware, my family has been made whole by the near completion of the adoption of my beautiful son.  Suddenly becoming a mother to a 7 year old is no small undertaking I tell you.  And so I chose to leave my job of 60+ hours a week.  While savings will carry me as a stay-at-home-mom for a few months, eventually I will have to go back to work and I would like to do so part-time.

So, with all my lovely degrees I have been looking into becoming a Teacher Adjunct.  There is an opening at a local Christian College.  It's a nice place and so far the people seem agreeable.  But it is a Christian Faith based institute that is private funded.  So they can pretty much preach Jesus as much as they want. 

Part of the interview process is to 'discuss my walk through life with Jesus Christ.'

Now while I respect the spiritual lives of all creatures big and small, I tend to think that is a personal issue and am not comfortable just throwing out beliefs.  Obviously I'm not going to be able to speak candidly with these people if I want to actually get the job.

So then, would you swallow the Jesus cracker and smile for the possibility of a decent job?  Obviously I've no intention of flat out lying, but I will have to phrase things THEIR way.  I will have to practice spirituality (at least in the open) the way THEY say in order to get a pay check.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, I swallowed. 

After, graduating with my first degree I took on a career within a state position.  I just could not resist the pay or benefits.  Every person within this agency is church going folks that take great pride in talking about Jesus on a daily basis.  At first, this was not a problem, I kept my head down and mouth shut, or I would simply smile and nod.  However, after about a year, I've had my fill of the Holier than thou comments that seem to feel like a stab to my heart.   

I didn't think having to hear about another's religion would take such a toll on me, but I can tell you every time I hear, about Jesus, heck just the word alone makes me cringe.  I've diligently tried to be as open minded as possible, but a person of a different thought process can only handle so much. 

I've gone so far as to nonchalantly give hints that I am not a believer in their religious views, but it seems everyone just thinks I am trying to be a comedian.   Therefore, I have kept up the 'comedy' act, it's helping by getting out my frustration, but it's still quite bothersome to me, especially when a few co-workers make comments about any other religious views not of their own, stating they will face judgment day.   It's about the time I head out for a cigarette or 5.  lol. 

Fact of the matter is this, if you're anything like me you will need some kind of vice in order to get through...at first, it's no big deal as your enjoying the money, but after awhile it truly gets mind numbing especially if your unable to give your views.  Just find something that can take your mind off the issues, and if you decided to work for the school, I wish you luck, patience, and the ability to bite your tongue often.

~Heather

Non ducor duc-- I am not led; I lead.
Thought
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 09:43:35 AM »

I'm not sure if it's laughable or sad, but these people stopped responding to me.  I sent my little 'walk with Jesus' information and got radio silence back.  I tried sending a thank you letter and got no response either.  So finally today I sent a 'did you ever fill the position' letter.  I got an automated response they're moving offices.  So I don't know.  Most likely it won't happen but I appreciate everyone's feedback.

iVamp : Ask me what kinds of Apps I come with.
jpvanir
Level 2 Contributor

Vampyrian TempleUVUP

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2016, 01:04:29 AM »

I have no problem with Jesus he was a great man but the only problem is with his followers and his father who had forsaken him

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: