AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2020, 08:41:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19897 Posts in 2603 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  State Of The Online Vampire Community 2010: Declining Participation Levels? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 Print
Author Topic: State Of The Online Vampire Community 2010: Declining Participation Levels?  (Read 94670 times)
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #285 on: January 04, 2011, 12:32:08 pm »

http://www.aquilus.net/
http://www.nocturnalvoices.com

"All community sites that were hosted on Aquilus.net and NocturnalVoices.com are now closed."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/real-vampires/message/52199

Real Vampires Will Close
January 1, 2011

The results of the poll are in and, out of 314 members, we only received 23
votes. That's less than ten percent (10%) of the membership. With such low
numbers, I can't justify keeping the list open.

Here's what will happen:

The list will remain on Yahoo's servers to preserve the archives. Current
members will have access to old posts, but no new posts will be allowed. No new
members will be permitted to join and the automated messages will be eliminated.
The group description will be updated to show that we're closed.

If you like the Yahoo format, I recommend checking out the Vampirism and
Shadowlore lists. Both are active and I know the people who run them. I can
vouch for the quality of both groups. Vampirism is geared more toward practical
techniques, both psychic and sanguinarian. Shadowlore is geared more toward
Otherkin and general discussion of a wide range of topics.

If you prefer a message board format, I recommend the Atlanta Vampire Alliance
(www.atlantavampirealliance.com) for general discussion. Joining the forum
doesn't make you a member of the AVA; you have to live in Atlanta, GA to apply.

If you're a psychic feeder or hybrid, Lono runs a good forum at the Psychic
Vampire Support Pages (www.psychicvampire.org) or you can check out the House
Kheperu forums (www.kheperu.org). Again, joining the HK forums doesn't make you
a member of House Kheperu. Membership in HK is by invitation only
- Forums Closed. The House
Kheperu forums are good for advanced techniques but, if you're a novice, you
will probably have more success with Lono's board.

For general news that is of interest to the community and discussion of
articles, the Vampire Community News group on Facebook
(vampirecommunitynews@... ) is good. However, you should be
aware of this caveat: The VCN group on FB is open to anyone and
everyone...including some real wackjobs. Take anything said in the discussions
with a hefty amount of salt. Even schizophrenics make sense once in awhile;
just because it *sounds* good doesn't mean it's legitimate.

AcrophobicPixie runs *the* best donor support forum on the web. The URL is
www.blackswanhaven.org. If you're a donor or would like to be one, you should
definitely check it out.

There are other vampire forums out there, such as Isealdor's Vampire Realms of
Darkenss (vampires.nu), The Vampire Church on Yahoo - Closed/Moved, or the Real Vampire and
Occult Community at aquilus.net
- Closed, but the ones I've listed are the ones I know
are both active and high quality. I encourage you to look around and find a
group you like. For that matter, join several groups, because each one has a
different feel and you'll be exposed to a wider variety of opinions and
information.

Finally, thank you for helping make the Real-Vampires Community Alliance one of
the longest running vampire discussion groups on the internet. Ten years is a
good, long life. It's time to pass the torch to others who have more time and
more energy to devote to groups like this one.

Seek your own path and never stop questioning.

Sylvere ap Leanan

sphynxcatvp
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #286 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:25 pm »

I have a listing for Vampire Church forums at: http://www.vampire-church.com/cms/forum/ and postings seem to be current.

Smiley

Admin:  Yes, the Yahoo Group closed (rather was closed and deleted).  They moved to a forum-based system now.

~SphynxCatVP
Community Old Fart :-)
Webmaster, SphynxCat's Real Vampire's Support Page
Follow me on Twitter, too
Visit Shambala, my new forum!
Oblivionburns
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #287 on: January 17, 2011, 12:39:17 am »

This is sick.  I recently got involved because I really like this forum.  Well I guess it's time to stop learning from all of you and walk my own path.  Goodbye, sweet Cheri.  Goodbye, Sangsavvy.  A long, slow goodbye....  Coon & PD you'll be missed.  Nadia too.  Probably better this way.  I wonder what my next prospective employer will think when they see where I've been posting?  The VC will always be in my thoughts.  Child of the Spiral & Zerochan, vitchy & WingedwolfPsion... adieu.

Shadow hide you, moon watch over you, night cloak you, peace keep you.
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #288 on: January 17, 2011, 12:54:00 am »

Ya know, I think that is most likely (I am assuming here Oblivion, correct me if I am wrong) the biggest reason for the decline in the community - not the drama, but the individual realization that, if one wishes to have a high end, professional career, being part of the OVC or anything occult is a liability. Ultimately, only those without a family or career that is risked by being part of such things remain.

Automotive Necromancer
Catori
House AVA Member
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #289 on: January 17, 2011, 12:55:40 am »

Why are you leaving Oblivion?Huh?? I am absolutely confused...
RKCoon
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #290 on: January 17, 2011, 12:56:22 am »

Errr, waitaminute -- Oblivion, I think your confusing Mert's posting of another person at another site for AVA. Far as Im aware, AVA isnt going anywhere.

Automotive Necromancer
AVA Staff
Administrator
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2011, 01:16:15 am »

The AVA isn't going anywhere... the post earlier was regarding a Yahoo Group (RVCA)...
Oblivionburns
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #292 on: January 17, 2011, 03:01:03 am »

I'm humbled & thankful this place isn't going anywhere.  I still wonder about what prospective employers will see or think, but then I also wonder what business it is of theirs what I do with my personal, private life?!  Sorry if I came off as a sobber.  I didn't understand the post until I read it again.  I love seeing what you all think... it makes me feel more sane.  It's been suggested that I'm in need of medication.  I'd rather have the raw hand I'm dealt & experience it as far as I'm able.  Hearing what you all have to say makes me feel I'm not alone.  Not to discredit my husband's awareness that this is really happeneing (& he feeds me when I'm hungry) but it's always nice to know there are others who experience the same symptoms of hunger & the same effects of feeding.  Also the same social stigmas that go along with being the way we are.  I can't hide it for long.  Most people feel uneasy around me anyway, so I feel a safe haven in this forum.  Thank you guys & gals.  I guess I was wrong & I won't go anywhere either.

childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #293 on: January 17, 2011, 08:06:40 am »

I'm touched that you'd miss me Smiley

After a long and painful absence, I am finding my way once more back to the arms of Goddess.
Oblivionburns
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #294 on: January 17, 2011, 05:55:38 pm »

Child of the Spiral, I would.  Glad I just made a dumb mistake.  Back on topic, Coon pointed out a very real problem which to me boils down to this:  there's a problem with snooping busybodies who get paid huge salaries to poke at a computer all day & dig up what they consider dirt on people who are just trying to get an effing job.  I'm sitting at home right now because somebody didn't like what I posted on the internet in geberal.  I've tried having an e-mail address just for work contacts, hell I have 4 different accounts right now, all of which are easily traced back to my IP at home.  When prospective employers Google me they get a load of occult websites & Nightmare Productions' page of Scream Queens.  Wonderful.  They'd never guess what kind of weird crap I'm interested in if it weren't for the carte blanche they're given to pry away for no good reason at all.  I guess I'm already out of the coffin, but this is a real issue & somehow, someone needs to change a few privacy laws.  Some jobs won't hire because of a low credit score, they see it as a sign of inconsistency.  In this day & age, REALLY?!  The same goes for those of us who live among "them" as best we can according to how they allow us to.  I'm fed up about it & I think we all should be.  Thoughts?

Catori
House AVA Member
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #295 on: January 17, 2011, 06:20:18 pm »

Try an IP cloaking program. If I wanted to I could look as though I live and am surfing the web in Guam. It comes in handy with snoopers like that.
childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2011, 03:05:24 pm »

Is that free? Where can one be found that's reliable, and decently priced?

After a long and painful absence, I am finding my way once more back to the arms of Goddess.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #297 on: January 23, 2011, 10:35:02 am »

Ya know, I think that is most likely (I am assuming here Oblivion, correct me if I am wrong) the biggest reason for the decline in the community - not the drama, but the individual realization that, if one wishes to have a high end, professional career, being part of the OVC or anything occult is a liability. Ultimately, only those without a family or career that is risked by being part of such things remain.

Really?  Not trying to call you out Koon, but I have a high end professional career, with a government clearance.  I know for a fact, my metaphysical as well as my fetish associations are well documented and known.  Yes, I had a *really* bad year last year.. but so did everyone.  I am back in the black now.

Further, these things have also been brought up in custody court, and were also non issues. 

Granted, I work under my own terms as a contract based engineer.  Perhaps that is what makes it all work.  But I have never been denied a clearance or a job because of my activities.

Just sayin.  It dosnt have to be a liability.  If you can show that these connections dont hinder your performance.. its workable, I think.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
childofthespiral
Level 4 Contributor

Twitter.com/wolfeloin

« Reply #298 on: January 23, 2011, 11:44:15 pm »

Fear of losing or not being given a good paying job would more likely keep someone from joining in the first place, I think, rather than join, participate, then leave. Like PD said everyone had a bad year last year, and usually frill spending like paying for internet is the first thing that gets cut. It's the reason I disappeared so soon after joining.

Also, I think (I don't know for sure, it's just an idea) that a small part of what is causing some people to avoid the community is all the attention given to the subject of vampires recently. A similar issue cropped up years ago on a wiccan-pagan board I belonged to. Harry Potter came out, then the "ohmygod they're teaching my child witchcraft" bullshit, and then suddenly new membership became virtually nonexistent. Now with the advent of all the vampire related movies and TV shows, the same is happening. The same right-wing pundits are spouting the same hellfire and damnation baloney they did then, and it'll blow over. The Harry Potter scare ran its course, and so will the "Twilight-True Blood- Vampire Diaries etc. is gonna ruin your child's future" scare.

Oblivionburns
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #299 on: February 06, 2011, 11:53:46 pm »

Granted, I work under my own terms as a contract based engineer.  Perhaps that is what makes it all work.  But I have never been denied a clearance or a job because of my activities.

Just sayin.  It dosnt have to be a liability.  If you can show that these connections dont hinder your performance.. its workable, I think.
                         ~Paindancer

Oh, PD, you know I love ya, but I have no way to relate to your position.  I work in production/manufacturing mostly, & always 2nd shift.  The more my co-workers complain about how tired they are, the better I feel.  I try not to show it, but after dark I always feel energized.  They seem to think I"m trying to show them up.  And in my case, it IS a liability just because the whole vampire thing is creepy to some people in position to grant or deny employment.  Things aren't what they used to be, you know?  I used to be able to walk out of any job when it became intolerable & find another job in 2 days.  Now, I work through 5 temp agencies & have to wonder every day if I'll be called, who might call, & when I show if I'll be among those sent home because of overstaffing.  Some of these "staffing coordinators" have a lot of free time to Google people & it's really their opinions that count, not my job performance (which is pretty damn decent).  If they don't like the things people pay attention to in their own free time, these reps can just decide to "overlook" you for an open opportunity.  Add to that my long straight black hair, blue eyes & pale cracker skin, you've got a recipe for bias.  Personally I don't see what could possibly be so creepy about a fragile-looking little thing like me, but people treat me as if I've uncovered a dirty little secret of theirs & need to get rid of me.  Christ, I'm 5'3"/125# so how scary could I be?  And for the record, I'm extremely polite in public.  Nice, even.  Heavens to Mergutroid!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: