AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 14, 2020, 06:38:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  State Of The Online Vampire Community 2010: Declining Participation Levels? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: State Of The Online Vampire Community 2010: Declining Participation Levels?  (Read 105328 times)
masticina
Level 3 Contributor

Rwar I am a tiger

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 08:11:42 am »

Mmm so as I pick up [sorry I been more active within my own small circles], there is this group called OVC. That tries to be the "official" online representation for the vampire community. And yet it is filled with non acceptance, powerplay and bad advice. Lovely!

Lets be fair 15 years ago orso the sangies had less support for the idea that there we' re also other "types"  of vampires. By now we also have to deal with otherkin, therians, psychics...etc! I would say a mass awakening is taking place and that if you can't adapt to at least acknowledge such..that you'll die and wither. Every year more and more awaken to their " other"  nature so we better be ready!

So the OVC, I tell you I was associate to the vampire church in the time of decline, as you know now it is mostly an archive. But yes the vampire church was set in it' s ways and as much good as it did.. times changed. The OVC will get to deal with the same.. even one day AVA if it fails to adapt. We are in a time of quickening to say it that way...

Fear nothing but Fear itself
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 10:15:04 am »

O.V.C. = Online Vampire Community (Not A Group Or Single Entity)

masticina
Level 3 Contributor

Rwar I am a tiger

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 10:21:26 am »

Ugh sorry in that case sometimes things have double meanings. You know how that goes oh well in that case void my post about it.

So far I see this is a time in what allot is changing that includes the vampire community. We will survive! We just have to adjust!

Fear nothing but Fear itself
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 02:23:40 pm »

I think it is fairly important to realizie, that a major portion of the recent surge in OVC activity is due in large to recent media pushes.  We have enjoyed a certain amount of exposure due to these factors.

Twilight is old.  The interest is there but it has moved on a bit, into entertainment and fan base.  It has become too popular and mainstream for a majority of younger folks who are looking for an alternative crowd to belong to.  There are edgier things to do.

And frankly, vampirism is relatively easy to practice on a energy level, and even easier to feed sang in small portions.  The dabblers in vampirism are different than those who choose or must do this for a lifetime.  The dabblers will fade away and move on, which has, in part been happening once the phase has passed.

Finally, couple in the fact there is only so much knowledge in the pool so to speak.  Until we have more actual information, the activity is  going to be a recirculation, which, while usefull and necessary, is going to become stagnant.

There are still documentaries to be made, books to be written as the concept becomes more accepted by the mainstream culture.  I believe that there will be a percentage of those who do indeed continue to post and share, despite the natural ebb and flow of activity. 

And theoretically, say the vampiric  community does go to zero and dies off.  I would suggest that means that those souls who have come here to a non-native state have simply adjusted or certain functions are no longer needed ceasing the energy imbalance.

Vampirsm, after all, is not a identity, it is a trait, a mere aspect to multifaceted beings.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Thought
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 05:54:01 pm »

Well, I think as a whole anything and everything operates where sometimes its really popular and other times not so much.  A lot of people come to these sorts of sites to learn things.  After they learn what they needed to know, they move on.  The ones that stay the longest have some sort of physical ties to it.  If you're not vested in it, you might be able to get what you need elsewhere.  The online community makes it possible for people to find one another, and sometimes they move on.  Either making their own sites, or just plain meeting up in person.

I think it's just a pendulum swing.  The next generation will seek answers, or another teener bopper movie will come out and people will get curious.

Plus you have to think...how many times can be debate the same topic?  If there's nothing new happening, what do we have to talk about?

I guess if nothing else; if a decline in activity was worrying someone, I would suggest throwing out something new for people to get interested in again.

As Pain said, Twilight is old.  "JS" got old.  The same ole' articles get circulated a million times.  Nothing lost but also not really much gained lately.  We had our moment in the 'sun' so to speak, with some new books and comprehensive studies but now what?  I mean really...now what?  If there's nothing going on in our lives that we need to talk about...what are we doing other than lurking?

iVamp : Ask me what kinds of Apps I come with.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 05:59:54 pm »

Whats left?

Get serious.. more studies, experiments, etc.

There are a ton of people who claim heightened abilities after feeding for example.  That should be pretty easy to test and validate, for example.

Do a body chemistry count before and after feeding after a long fasting cycle.

Put your money where you fangs are!

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Thought
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 06:06:07 pm »

Whats left?

Get serious.. more studies, experiments, etc.

There are a ton of people who claim heightened abilities after feeding for example.  That should be pretty easy to test and validate, for example.

Do a body chemistry count before and after feeding after a long fasting cycle.

Put your money where you fangs are!

Oh don't misunderstand, -I- think there's plenty 'left' but we don't have it right now and so you see a decline in posting.  I'm not saying it won't be there, just that it's not there right now for people to...sink their teeth into.

iVamp : Ask me what kinds of Apps I come with.
ariesffa1500
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 06:15:04 pm »

Participation in the community is like participation everywhere else. We all have our own lives and our participation waxes and wanes just as the moon does. It is a cycle and apparently someone is freaking out because we aren't participating like they think we should be. Once again I repeat, we all have our own lives that in theory do not revolve around the internet. As for anything else that might be on this thread, I wasn't really paying attention.

From whence we have come do we once again return. Life and Death are integral parts of the same whole, without one the other does not exist.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Such is true, thus knowledge is power so knowledge corrupts and absolute knowledge corrupts absolutely.
Demzon
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 06:55:25 pm »

Thanks for the simplicity of that statement Pain; "Vampirsm, after all, is not a identity, it is a trait, a mere aspect to multifaceted beings." Oddly enough this is forgotten at times, and it is a good thing to have a reminder now and again for those that do. Doing a full lab series before and after feeding sounds like it might be a good idea at some point. Personally, I'm not in a position do pay for such right now. Also, I question if there would be much change at all for those that take less than 10cc or psi only. I take 50-80cc myself. That's going on a bit of a tangent, and I might bring that up as a poll here in a second.
I still hold that it is the pretenders and "it's just a game" ones that are getting bored and wandering off; or better yet realizing that a good portion of us are serious and leaving with a better view of just how much they do not know of the world.

Alison Demzon
dba: Demzon Creations
Demzon Creations Tracker blog
Facebook: Demzon
SangSavvy
Level 3 Contributor

Love is Always Fate's decision.

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 06:59:00 pm »

I think as long as there are people, there will be people awakening.  I think that is important to remember and pay attention to.  Point being, there will always be a need for supportive forums and proper advice needed to be given.  

As far as the fair amount of guidance and information out there, I think its good that its there, however a percentage of newly awakened and post-awakened vampires like to communicate with actual people...not only just articles...

Hence why I think its great that this topic is being addressed...sorry you weren't...paying attention Ariesffa?  
Sunshine1626
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 08:04:46 pm »

I still hold that it is the pretenders and "it's just a game" ones that are getting bored and wandering off; or better yet realizing that a good portion of us are serious and leaving with a better view of just how much they do not know of the world.
Although that might be true for some places, some organizations within the vampire community seem to be the exact opposite. In a teen vampire community that I participate in, often people who are being serious are run-off by RPG'ers and such.

I do believe that the current decline is all just cyclic, thought I'm not positive that participation will ever be quite what it was in former years. I say this because many free servers have been closed recently, with Ning closing down free networks and GeoCites being closed last year. Although many of these sites were small, I feel the community attracted people who often felt lost within bigger sites. Myspace and Facebook groups seem to be a good idea to attract those who were interested in the smaller communities, though there is the issue of these showing up on ones' profile (which most don't want their close friends and family knowing that they participate in the vampire community).
Dantess
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 11:07:22 pm »

For the facebook comunities I believe there is a block buttun so it doesn't go onto your wall, I could be wrong.

I Live for Love.
ClayCat
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 02:58:46 am »

I suspect the decline is a fluctuation, as others have said. As for VCMB, regardless of one's opinion of it, it does not appear to be in decline. Some of you say it should be more tolerant, I think it is tolerant enough without overdoing it. The problem with too much tolerance is that the forum then deteriorates into fantasy via acceptance/tolerance of every wild claim regardless of how unlikely it is.
Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 11:25:57 am »

*nods*
sorry if this is getting a bit off the main topic..
i've not had much of a problem in the VCMB.. sometimes, as with many forums, i don't present myself clear enough, or there are missunderstandings, but that really doesn't seem to happen often and things are usually handled and cleared up well enough, or just left alone.
the pink lady
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 02:13:46 pm »

Thanks for the simplicity of that statement Pain; "Vampirsm, after all, is not a identity, it is a trait, a mere aspect to multifaceted beings." Oddly enough this is forgotten at times, and it is a good thing to have a reminder now and again for those that do.

I believe that there are two distinct groups in the OVC, those who identify with the symptoms and conditions of vampirism, and those who believe they are vampires, and these groups are not alike. (Thank Daemonox for the original quote.)

I think the OVC surges and recedes with the media popularity. It's been interesting to watch over the years. Now that technology becomes cheap and ubiquitous, the "endless September" of the vampire community is now upon us. I think that the serious groups are using the Internet to promote local discussion and interaction now.

More later--still at work. Tongue

EDIT: Fixed the metaphor, lulz.

FB and Twitter: bloodypinklady
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: