AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 10:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  An Open Letter To The Community From Demzon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: An Open Letter To The Community From Demzon  (Read 17256 times)
Demzon
Level 3 Contributor

« on: April 05, 2010, 01:25:34 PM »

First I want to note that "JS" is mentioned in this as an example and is not the subject over all before anyone wants to get wound up about that. I hope people take time to read carefully as I have written before coming to judgment.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently since I came back to the online vampire community over all. First we have a guy that is taking the name vampire and dragging it through the mud with every single thing that he says recently. Then we have a stagnated community as a whole. Neither of these events should be happening.

For people to put this in a bit of context for my point of view I'm going to have to fill in a bit of history. When I was first awakening at the age of 14 it was 1991, and the online vampire community barely existed. When I found it, it was barely in it's infancy and most of the people in it would say in private messages "It's just a game, relax" when I would complain about some fake “I am immortal” type that showed up. I actually met another vampire who would later be my wife for a time in those early ‘brackish pools’ of the community as well. Not long after that I helped how I could, which wasn’t very much, in getting the USEnet group alt.culture.vampires created along with defending everyone in the community against those that held firm to the DSM-IV (American Psychological Association Desk Side Manual, version IV) 297.1, 297.3 and 298.9 definitions. (Delusional, shared psychotic disorder, and psychotic disorder not other wise specified respectively.) The only thing I ever accomplished was catching hell for being associated with my, present ex-wife.

When I first saw the 'Dark Veil' go in to discussion I thought it was taken from White Wolf's Vampire: the Masquerade game books; rewritten certainly, but nearly the same as the rules that those fictional vampires were to follow. I still hold to my statement at the time that at some point we will have to go public, if only to stop living with the pain of hiding and lying to continue to exist and live. Hiding takes a toll on the mind, conscious, and eventually through those two, the body itself. People should have thrown that out and never bothered with it from the start; especially the section that comes down to saying that anyone can claim the little sticker that says 'I'm vampire' and no one can call the bluff, or ask for the most basic of evidence to support such a claim.  Then again, that is an opinion and is something that everyone has a right to have.

Now to expand on the hospitalization that I have mentioned in most any short biography that can be found on me. Not even my ex-wife has heard this part. It's been my hold card if you will all this time. When anyone has questioned why I think I am a vampire I have stuck to the standard line; 'because I find myself drawn to ingest blood from another human being.' There is nothing but anecdotal evidence, by all definitions,  in that statement when you come down to it. For all those who in the past have questioned how that is evidence; by itself it's not. The addition to this is that I have taken the psychiatric medications that I was given over the two weeks, and the following months that were supposed to make it stop. The medications did nothing. All the drugs that worked for every other case of a self proclaimed vampire did nothing for me; well, nothing aside from making it so I could do nothing more than stare at the walls and drool on myself. The hunger was still there through the drug induced haze no mater how much I tried to ignore it. The physical symptoms were there too, and about once every month or two I get to go through extreme stomach cramping, nausea, and my entire intestinal tract emptying. Not something that I would say is enjoyable, and not complained about with those that are 'playing a game' generally. This is a serious occurrence as there are plenty of side effects medically. I have been examined to see if there was some other explanation and there is not.

This leads to the most recent problem that the community has seen; "JS".  This is a person who has shown to not be a vampire in every respect that I can think of, in my view. One video that I saw that was supposedly him 'feeding' from Audrianna was nothing more than a big hickey that shows that he can suck but nothing more. The claim of naturally sharp teeth is nothing; there are people with naturally sharp, and amazingly sharp, teeth. I met one in Utah that had nothing but canine teeth in his mouth due to an oddity in genetics and had some of those teeth altered so that he could eat. Those things were sharp as a good knife. He was not a vampire, and never claimed to be one. The only thing that "JS" has ever shown is evidence of being a narcissistic, and borderline personality disorder. (DSM-IV ICD-9 301.81, 301.83.)

"JS" also displays the risk of becoming another threat easily. Think about any time you have seen a person who is a charismatic figure, that claims to know best for everyone, and draws in those of a weak personality, because they are easily lead to anything. Add to this the blame of a group that he has 'seen the inner workings of' and is therefore an expert; generally they were rejected some how by that group causing a deep seated anger and a want for 'revenge' because of 301.81. If your not placing any one instance it's because it happens a lot. Jonestown, Waco, the list goes on, and on. Even Adolph Hitler displayed the same trending and behaviors; extreme sense of a self styled ‘justice, 'us or them' thinking, &c.. What I see here though is an opportunity. "JS" has been in the media and even noticed by national news agencies; and he is just one idiot.

What's wrong with going public? There are those that do have concerns that are well founded; medical and education workers being most notable. Not everyone is in a place of public trust such as they are though; and even they would still be represented.  According to the numbers in the response rate to the VEWRS/AVEWRS surveys there was a total of 1450 responses to the surveys. Take out possible duplicates and I'm going to guess the number at about 1200 or so. That 1200 likely only represents a fraction of the actual count. Say only 20% responded over all, thats 6000; that is also assuming that there are some out there that stay away from the online communities. Then we can estimate that there are some that are hesitant to include themselves under the name vampire because of the stigma from history.

We have a chance right here and right now to go public and make ourselves known; the question is why would we? First there is the mental health aspect. If we do bring ourselves to light then there will be less feeding medications that do permanent damage to the the body and brain to fix something that is not wrong and does not have the intended effect anyway to people. That leads directly in to health. Who knows if any damage was done over the around 15 years that I was unable to feed out of fear for being stuffed in to another box and have medications I don't need pumped in to me? Is that damage worse than those medications would have been even? Likely not, but it is a valid question. Anytime you deny proper nutrition over prolonged periods there is a risk of permanent and serious damage from what is malnutrition. What about the community overall? Let's not try to fool ourselves on this one; there are quite a few among us that only go for this idea of being a vampire because it makes then feel special and a part of something; in simple words, they think it's cool. By going public over time those ones that imitate the rest of us to belong will filter out finding how hard it is to keep up that facade while under medical and public scrutiny.

The only see two risks to everyone individually and as a whole. First, there will be backlash and religious extremists thinking that they are going to hunt us seriously ‘like we did when this plague was upon our fore fathers’ will likely be what is said, or something like it. They will be quickly jailed and the general public will cry out against them however. No mater how much the general public would be against us, killing is not something that they would support at anytime. Second, there will be an initial reaction of fear and people trying to pass laws banning us. Anytime that similar laws have come about though they have been stricken down by the Supreme Court, or various Circuit Courts in various lengths of time.

The time is now if we are going to do this. The only things that remain is who will start to bring about this change, and how committed is everyone to have a better life; not cowering in fear all the time? I'm open to any ideas on either myself. I would add more, but if the point is not made by here, it's not going to be.
I hope that this becomes a rallying cry, and if your inspired by it and feel the need to share it some where that I don't have time to go; do so. We need this to happen from what I see and it needs to start soon if it is going to get anywhere at all.

Thanks for reading to those of you who took the time to do so, I know that was quite a bit of information to get through.

Demzon

(added 4/8/10: There is a short URL for this version now. http://bit.ly/AVA_letter I'm not saying that you guys are endorsing it, just that it is here.)

Alison Demzon
dba: Demzon Creations
Demzon Creations Tracker blog
Facebook: Demzon
Dhalek
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »

Well put Demzon. I reacted in my own post.  Wink
Moros_Will_Lore
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »

Well put (also read your post Dhalek).

My two cents- there has not been a worse time for vampires to come out of the coffin. In the tides of human thought, many movements swell, predominant in my mind being religious/political fanaticism and the new breed of Evangelical Atheists and Skeptics. Coming out in this time will like popping up between a rock and a rock, both hurtling at each other at high speeds.

On one hand we have historical bigots who have been known to try and crush everything outside their understanding with righteous zeal. There's been violence over a bill that's main effects won't go into play for at least 4 years, and they are generally the front line against each minority as it has gained rights. In this case, the word vampire gives them further hatred fuel, allowing them to draw upon their religious conviction and condemn just as they have gays, with the added bonus of traditional vampire imagery being repelled by that which is holy. You make excellent targets.

On the other hand we have their up and coming opponents, the growing Atheist/Skeptic movement. I'm not talking about the rational people who believe in no god, nor those with the strong senses of reality who know how to spot a scam. I'm speaking of the new breed, the young, bright, motivated Atheist who takes the same bad habits of religion and wields them like a cudgel, dogmatically working to eradicate spirituality and religion as diseases- and vampires are more prime target than ever. Without scientific backing, you will be easier to paint as 'deluded' and 'dangerous' than most groups of people, and it provides a new ground for them to make progress.

Right now, the fringe groups, like vampires, occultists, non-monotheistic faiths, etc. are seeing two monoliths fighting- the giant in it's death throws, and a soul killing devourer. If the landscape changes, we can see whats left and where to start, but I think a massive 'coming out of the coffin' would incite both sides to action to destroy the vampire community.
wicthdragon
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:43:31 PM »

Well put Demzon very good work.

THE God maker.
Eric
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »

Well said Sir and I totally agree the time is now. As for concern for attack and laws against us, there are protections for us as there are for any other group being singled out.
Carpe Diem and Carpe Noctem

Dreams are but an unachieved reality, never give up. EAC
Dantess
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:23:12 PM »

Like everyone else said I agree as well.

I Live for Love.
Demzon
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »

Well put (also read your post Dhalek).

My two cents- there has not been a worse time for vampires to come out of the coffin. In the tides of human thought, many movements swell, predominant in my mind being religious/political fanaticism and the new breed of Evangelical Atheists and Skeptics. Coming out in this time will like popping up between a rock and a rock, both hurtling at each other at high speeds.

On one hand we have historical bigots who have been known to try and crush everything outside their understanding with righteous zeal. There's been violence over a bill that's main effects won't go into play for at least 4 years, and they are generally the front line against each minority as it has gained rights. In this case, the word vampire gives them further hatred fuel, allowing them to draw upon their religious conviction and condemn just as they have gays, with the added bonus of traditional vampire imagery being repelled by that which is holy. You make excellent targets.

On the other hand we have their up and coming opponents, the growing Atheist/Skeptic movement. I'm not talking about the rational people who believe in no god, nor those with the strong senses of reality who know how to spot a scam. I'm speaking of the new breed, the young, bright, motivated Atheist who takes the same bad habits of religion and wields them like a cudgel, dogmatically working to eradicate spirituality and religion as diseases- and vampires are more prime target than ever. Without scientific backing, you will be easier to paint as 'deluded' and 'dangerous' than most groups of people, and it provides a new ground for them to make progress.

Right now, the fringe groups, like vampires, occultists, non-monotheistic faiths, etc. are seeing two monoliths fighting- the giant in it's death throws, and a soul killing devourer. If the landscape changes, we can see whats left and where to start, but I think a massive 'coming out of the coffin' would incite both sides to action to destroy the vampire community.

I would have to disagree. Having watched all that was happening with the LGBT community, some of it from the inside, the violence was not as bad as was reported; also I did speak to that in my letter. As for the "Evangelical Atheists," I think I would fit in to that category myself. Religion is useless other than to cause more problems. All of what you mention was either addressed in my letter, or is obvious and will happen no matter what.
The biggest problem has always been people who say 'later is better.' The problem is that later never comes. You did express your opinion and I can not fault you for that.
I will also say that I would prefer people think for themselves. I, by definition, am the charismatic speaker type that I said to be careful of. Just saying. Wink

Alison Demzon
dba: Demzon Creations
Demzon Creations Tracker blog
Facebook: Demzon
Dantess
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:01:18 AM »

We will always say later hence why nothing ever gets done, no matter what people will hate you, people just love controversy like that which was mentioned on another topic, mostly we must stay focused and not let anyone bring us down, lets step up and not expire, the time is always now and never later!

I Live for Love.
wicthdragon
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:59:26 AM »

Good points Dantess And Eric.

THE God maker.
D, ,
Level 2 Contributor

I am D, ,

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:38:01 AM »

what are you guys talking about?
the community (aboveground reference , meaning those who have made the movie to the age of the internet and not strickly avoided it)  is out of the coffin... people just dont beleive . and they will continue not to beleive for a while every year a vampire movie comes out and there are more peole who decide they like vampires or want o play, ive been watching this happen for years.
what would be important is that we make part of what started in 2005 get legitamat papers as a human rights group,
The Assoiation for vampire rights, there were well over 500 people in the myspace group, we devised quite afew ideas for campains for awwarness, some are to pop up at some of the movies, with rights pins are fund raiser part support though i have given lots of these out to certain individuals . ive been trying to figure out what i have to do to make this a nonprofit amd what else we can do lots of ideas on that,
the other point ids many of us that have had interviews haven't had iany control in our interviews,. i have also in the works a vampire ezine that will have lots of good stuf, while devoting plenty into the vmpire rights . when i had heard about the show trublood avl. i kinda wanted to sue till i saw some of the promo video stuff on their rights , then i thought they might contribute to the cause if not to further that show , but it is something of a ethical dilemma.

the ovc is getting better joining those of us who have been meeting and congregating in real life, ans more people are doing just that , good,  there is a path of action to deal with that other guy who we should not be mentioning. it is unfortunate he has to be dealt with as damage control
D, ,

D, ,
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 11:29:54 AM »

My perspective will always be different than many... I am somewhat of an outsider, never having been a part of any group or house.  Instead I came to grips with my vampiric traits without support, or a any sort of archtypeical framework of 'vampire' or related community.  It has been a long process over the many years (I was dealing with this since I was 6-7), but it has led me to a very practical approach.

For one, I totally agree with the initial post.  People need to be willing to walk into the sunlight if they want to not have various freaks do so.

BUT, this has to be done in a way that shows the people walking out are stable, and normal.  People doing videos, dressed in black, trying to look as goth as possible really does not help all that much, in my opinion.  People like "JS", who push for the limelight, are nothing more than radical extremists, and give a negative spin to the total community.

Yes, people fear the unknown.  In the United States, we have laws to keep that fear in place thankfully.  The way to combat that fear is to present it in a way that shows there is nothing to fear, and yes, there IS a good time for it now.  Certainly, our nation has become terribly polarized, but that means there is a strong counter to the closed mindedness as well.

Regarding medical care.. I feel there is a growing open-ness to mental health.   The approach is no longer 'squash it if it is different'  but 'fix it if there is a problem'.  I have spoken to psychiatrists extensively, regarding my vampiric nature and my kin-soul.  I was never locked up.. I was never drugged to oblivion.  Why?  Because I was functional.  I was able to operate normally, have relationships, have friend, etc.  For me.. it was more of a dark secret I felt I had to hide.  Eventually, I came to learn I didnt have to hide it.. it was a real part of me.. even if it isnt widely understood.

But, the bottom line.. is involvement.  Get out there, get involved in your daily life, volunteer, etc.  Sure, wear a pin if you like.  Let people get to know you as a normal person, and being a vampire is just a detail.

One thing I see here so often, is that 'vampire' becomes the focus.  The talk of vampire right, persecution, etc gives the impression that its felt that vampires are a sub-species, lesser, struggling for dignity.  My opinion, is that stance is like fighting from low ground..    Instead.. take the approach, you are just like anyone else, and that vampirism is a small part of who you are... and go from there.  Yes, you may be a vampire, but you are also a person, a employee, a parent, a student, etc etc.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
hexmoon3
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »

I'm agreeing with the initial post as well but I am still going with the,if we did open ourselves up to the public allot of us would be fired from our jobs or shunned by the community. The outside world is not very nice and people spitting in my food is not something I would like to deal with. Many people have been fired for turning out to be pagan so imagine what would happen if someone all of the sudden said they were a vampire! Even though these places say they are non discrimination they really are not telling the truth. If someone did start the process and people responded kindly I think the rest of us who still aren't sure would be more willing to step up.

---<---(@Hex@)--->---
lisby08
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 12:43:23 PM »

I as a human being...(who happens to be gay and come from an area of non understanding or even tolerable people) am in hopes that there will be enough of you vampires and us supporters out there to help shield the backlash a little. Your the slaves, women and gays of the new era. And for those of you who are repressed already for one of these reasons, it's going to be rough. Of course "SOME PEOPLE" speaking of some media o' holics, are going to make this worse. It's human nature to panic at what they don't understand. For me to finally understand, I had to look at it in different terms. I, though use vampire, do not see vampire. I better understand it all more as an involitary need to seek out energy and absorb it. Energy deficiency. No matter psi or sang I refer to the community as Energy seekers. Of course there is more than that, but there is more to vampire than the work expresses as well. What ever happens, I am a supporter of the gay community, free religion,beliefs..... well Minus some things that are horrid in thought..... I believe be who you are. Though you may not want, you are coming into the world light(the media), it may suck but embrace it. If you hide now it scares people more. Sugar coat things for others to get. Explain like this. People eat and drink and take in sun for energy. You(as a community) are lacking life energy. People use tai chi and other things to manipulate energy to center. You don't have enough spiritual energy to do so without taking some in. There is always opposites in every situation. Healers take excess energy and heal mind and body. You lack what they have an over abundance of.
   I sugar coat when my children and family are scared. This may work for the population as a whole as well. Just a suggestion. I am new to this community. I do know that I have something others don't. It scares me but thats life. My G/F is a part of this community. I have a tendency to stand up for what I love so don't mind if I am long winded.

LISBY
michael garrett
Level 1 Contributor

Greetings

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »

Very Well Put........

Michael Garrett
Author

Michael Garrett
Author
“Lydia’s Birth” and The Lydia Chronicles
www.Lydiasworld.net
michaelgarrett@lydiasworld.net
Azoth
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »

Demzon,
Your letter reminds me of the struggle attributed to spirals of consciousness and any occult society with authoritarian structure.  How does one lead a community of individuals that are so diverse?  My experience is to take all the negatives with a grain of salt and to empower/support those who are making positive progress.  Just my two cents....

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: