AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2021, 08:03:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Vampire Community & Subcultural Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  03.05.10 - Vampire Craze Is A Dangerous Fad - The Daily Republic, SD 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 03.05.10 - Vampire Craze Is A Dangerous Fad - The Daily Republic, SD  (Read 8119 times)
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« on: March 05, 2010, 10:39:36 AM »

http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/article/id/41300/

Letter: Vampire Craze Is A Dangerous Fad

To the Editor:

Vampire and blood fetishes run amok: Twilight, the “vampire lifestyle” and paraphilias turned fads. Parents are responsible in the youth culture war that is being lost.

By: John Shaw, Mitchell
March 5, 2010
The Daily Republic: Mitchell, South Dakota

Vampire and blood fetishes run amok: Twilight, the “vampire lifestyle” and paraphilias turned fads. Parents are responsible in the youth culture war that is being lost.

While I was visiting the Mitchell Public Library recently I was made aware of the current rage of vampirism on a table in the library, displaying books about vampirism that teens and young adults have access to. Library employees I talked with said the library provides what the public demands or is currently popular.

Taking all of this into consideration makes the detestable real in Twilight Vampirism as the quintessential example of what happens when the combination of raging teenage hormones, immaturity and fad interest in vampire fetishes starring attractive young actors from a book series adapted for cinema. The result is the appropriation of various elements of goth, punk and sadomasochistic subculture into an alternative lifestyle based on the modern perception of vampires in popular fiction and adopted almost exclusively by individuals too developmentally immature to really understand what it is that they are portraying to society.

For teenagers who adopt the vampire lifestyle to dress in black, consume tomato soup and energy drinks designed to look like blood, could potentially lead people to experiment with at-risk behaviors such as bloodletting, blood consumption, self-mutilation, assault and even homicide.

Take into consideration the risks associated with various paraphilias such as odaxelgnia, hematolagnia and vampirism, which are recognized psychological or psychosexual addiction conditions. How can adolescent girls and young adults dominated by their emotions, rather than logic or reasoning, separate the health from the unhealthy and the dangerous from the harmless under the delusion of Satan? The Bible says “flee from the very appearance of evil!”

Real vampirism books currently held by the Mitchell Library:

Real vampirism books held worldwide (sampling):

Piercing The Darkness: Undercover With Vampires In America by Katherine Ramsland - Held By 670 Libraries

Vampires Today: The Truth About Modern Vampires by Joseph Laycock - Held By 250 Libraries

Real Vampires, Night Stalkers, & Creatures From The Darkside by Brad Steiger - Held By 135 Libraries

Vampires In Their Own Words: An Anthology Of Vampire Voices by Michelle Belanger - Held By 113 Libraries

Vampire Nation by Arelene Russo - Held By 110 Libraries

Additional editorial pieces attributed to Mr. Shaw:

http://www.glapn.org/sodomylaws/usa/south_dakota/sdeditorial01.htm
Letter: Laws Against Gays Based on Bible
John R. Shaw, Mitchell
Sioux Falls Argus Leader
September 30, 2001

https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=4&article_id=38791
Woe To The Human Being Who Has A Human Religion
Letter:  “But the fearful, and unbelieving and the abominable and murderers (abortion), and whore mongers and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone; which is the second death!” Revelation 21:8.
John Shaw, Mitchell
The Daily Republic
November 20, 2009

Maenad
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »

If anyone watches twilight and doesn't get that glitter skin isn't real (other then the kind of glitter you can get at bath and body works) therefore vampires like that aren't real they'd most likely believe in anything else the tv shows them. XD They shouldn't watch anything if they are that gullible. About the only thing I can see changing is an increase in goth cloths but styles go in cycles so soon we will be back to bell bottoms. ^__^

In vino veritas. Vero est vita.... In the process.
wychelm
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »

I am not a fan of the Twilight series myself and I have notice the main stream has gone vamp crazy. I mean I saw "My boyfriend is a vampire" t-shirt in a Charlotte Russe store at one point. This fear of teens going crazy and becoming blood drink sparkly vampires is just like when people were freaking with Harry Potter books in public libraries and Schools. People thought teens would suddenly turn to witchcraft and try to fly on brooms and cast spells.
Now you will have some over the edge people who might go too far, that's a given. I have heard that die hard twilight fans (Twilighters) can be scary at times, but not all are bad. I would not be so much worried about the vampire aspect in the story but how the story portrays relationships.
Once the series of movies end, people will move onto another fad. Just like fashion, the trends of obsession change with whats in front of people at that moment. 
I am just waiting now for the trend of zombie love stories to become main stream. 
SophieAnn
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 05:00:49 PM »

Hi

There's an irony here that the real vampyres seem to be the ones that are trying to sort this mess out, lol.

Regarding the literature, I think what upsets me is the lack of information available to both young and old. By this I don't mean books about different ways to draw blood and to inflict pain; I mean general information about what real vampyres ARE about. That our relationships and spirituality matter a lot to us. Indeed, I think if youngsters were to take the very core or essence of our deeper and darker spirituality on board, they would discover a path, and through that discovery gain greater care and responsibility. That vampires aren't about absolute power, but about knowledge and observation.

But of course this is not what is happening. People want instant answers and instant gratification which is much more flowing with the times. Children have found a new way to rebel and to shock, and the mass media are of course fueling that for profit whatever the consequences or result. New found freedom where children feel their rule can be absolute, and the boundaries of the imagination undefined through active roleplaying upon a computer where differences between the young and old are only imagined.

Such is the greatness of this, children (and adults) lose sight between what is real and what is not. I think it is a shame this new exploration in vampiricism is a fad. Like all things it will have its time and shock and people will move on. Once again, the real vampyres will become lost in the shadows not only to become feared and ridiculed but also the apparent forgotten hollywood stars we have been seen to become.

My answer is that we have become victims of our own darkness. In my opinion more 'real' stuff should be put on the shelves so that people can compare and contrast between that and the fiction. Those interested instead of being drawn to the fantasy of the undead should instead be encouraged to engage within their spiritual path and discover their pull and what it means to be him or her. Darkness should be explored through the understanding of our connections and dreams as well as our motivations. If such material were more widely available then not only do I think we would be better understood, but it would lessen the impact of the fad and give especially youngsters something new and dynamic with which to engage.

Just my thoughts
Hugs and blessings
Sophie
xxx
Maenad
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:17:06 AM »

My answer is that we have become victims of our own darkness. In my opinion more 'real' stuff should be put on the shelves so that people can compare and contrast between that and the fiction. Those interested instead of being drawn to the fantasy of the undead should instead be encouraged to engage within their spiritual path and discover their pull and what it means to be him or her. Darkness should be explored through the understanding of our connections and dreams as well as our motivations. If such material were more widely available then not only do I think we would be better understood, but it would lessen the impact of the fad and give especially youngsters something new and dynamic with which to engage.

I don't understand why it's dark to be honest. I know for a fact that I am a Maenad whether or not I'm a vamp is still being figured out. I don't see my wine as something that is dark. I see it as light, as something I need for my body to behave the way it properly should. Without wine I'd be a mess of antibiotics and phlegm (yes I know gross visual). Also too when I forget a day it's like I'm no longer connected to what I need, I become like agoraphobic and not wanting to talk to anyone and just start shutting down. Even being in public I start to get shaky (not like withdrawal shaky like having a mental breakdown shaky, the shivers are in my brain) and like I need to go home and hide away. That's the opposite of who I am so being that way is incredibly taxing. I've come to accept that I need wine to live normally and that sometimes doing an exchange of wine under my skin it's like centering myself. Would I recommend people to be this way of life no. Especially with in the US the stigma any form of alcoholic (which I'm not)  has on someone. I don't chose to be the way I am, but I am this way. If I didn't have wine to make me ok life wouldn't be as good as it is now. It's like all my life I was in a cave and wine has given me light to see the cave is made of crystal and is so pretty. Granted some people have misunderstood the light and thought it was a way out, not realizing that it's a way in. So under that when I'm so old my hair is white and my skin has wrinkles I'll know I am a Meanad and it was wine that has let me age in a way that isn't sickly and being always dependent on doctors. From what I've read here blood or other peoples energy = my wine, so wouldn't it be light? The one thing that gives you hope that your body will have a way to be normal, because that's what wine is to me. 

bear
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:53:02 PM »

im gettin real tired of being grouped in with satanists.
Maenad
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 04:33:14 AM »

im gettin real tired of being grouped in with satanists.

I think it relates back to Jesus to be honest he did have that whole blood is wine (which I hate cuz he stole wine >.> bloody bastard) thing and they see that your being too like him so you must be evil. XD (and perhaps I should get more sleep to make more sense. XD) Who really needs sense honestly? Has it ever helped anyone? Eddie Izzard why are you in my head? T___T (I realize this doesn't make much sense, mostly.)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: