AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:09:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Religion, Spirituality, & Philosophy  |  Other Religious, Spiritual, & Philosophical Paradigms (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Egyptian Mythology - The Origin Of Vampires?! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Egyptian Mythology - The Origin Of Vampires?!  (Read 29628 times)
Sfinelli3
Level 5 Contributor

There was a boy. A very strange, enchanted boy.

« on: November 06, 2009, 09:13:01 AM »

There is a theory that has been around for a long time.  We all know the story of Osiris, the Egyptian God who was killed by his brother and then brought back to life by his wife Isis.  Well, some say that when Isis brought her love back to life she created the first Vampire, because Osiris was alive, but dead, and now rules the underworld.  Many consider him to be the first Vampire.  If I missed anything, please tell me.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:32:15 PM »

Most cultures have a resurrection myth of some sort.  Summarian has one, the Christian faith has one, etc.  Its a fairly common motif.  If anything, the Christian myth has more direct referances to sanguine vampirism than most others.

Rice gave a lot of popularity to the Egyptian myth in her books, but other cultures go further back.

Besides, I dont think vampirism is a god/demonic trait passed down, but rather a condition of the spirit.  In that light, you may be keying in to a early cultures acknowledging some traits of vampirism opposed to the origins itself.

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
Sfinelli3
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 07:19:47 PM »

This was a theory on the origin on Vampires long before Rice's books.  I was just stating what some people think is the origin.

paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:01:14 PM »

Yes, Lestat, it is a theory.

The egyptian origin theory did gain popularity due to Rice's fiction.  She did her homework, after all.. at least in her early books.

Still, the theory implies there is a source of all people with vampiric needs.  I do not perscribe to this myself, and I dont think most members of the modern vampire culture were 'sired' by an vampire with a bloodline tracing back to Osiris, or anyone else, despite of how cool it would sound.

You asked if you missed anything.  I thought you were interested in rounding out your theory, so I pointed out some timeline issues.  I personally thought you might find the christian parallel interesting.  "Eat of my body, drink of my blood, and you will have eternal life".  Sounds very Bhram Stoker to me.

Paindancer
Sfinelli3
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:37:07 AM »

Sounds more Rice to me.  "Drink from me and live forever."  Haha.  I am not saying that this IS ABSOLUTELY WITH NO DOUBT the origin.  Just something to talk about.

asteria
Level 5 Contributor

In The Night We Are Free

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:27:01 AM »

I really dont think there is any way to know for sure.

The freedom of the night rejuvenates my soul and forgives my sins with its euphoria for I am a creature of the night and she will protect her children.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:46:50 AM »

Actually, it was from the book of John, chapter 6:

54 Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.
55 He that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, has everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.
56 For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed.
57 He that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, abides in me, and I in him.

In the same family I would say.

Paindancer
Sfinelli3
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »

If you follow the bible which some of us dont

belovedofdeath
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:22:31 PM »

If you follow the bible which some of us dont

the bible is a story, just a egyption mythology is story.

jesus christ, he's being helpful and you're just being blind to him.
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:01 PM »

Chuckle, one can only offer knowledge, you cant force it.  Its allright.

And yes, there is actually a tremendous amount of wisdom found in the Bible, just as there is in the Koran, Apocripha (yes bible related, probably more useful in my opinion), gnostic texts, ect.

I think the real trick is to be able to look at things you disagree with and still learn from it.

I guess back to the original theory.. I dont think Egyptian lore is unique in having undead myths.  but it is interesting so  many cultures have them.

BUT... I dont really see a connection with vampirism and being undead, which is the real flaw in the theory here.  I am fairly certain, that none of the people posting here are dead, and would venture to say that the undead connection is probably more fiction than reality.  Wouldn't you agree Mr. Lestat?

Paindancer
Removed
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »

One must be careful not to let the dictations of others dictate themselves in turn. Tis a wall of one's own creation.
Nothing is as pure as what comes from The Self. Just because someone said it before, doesn't mean it can't be new again because you said it in some way different to what was said previous. I'm not afraid of that. Sometimes I have thoughts and people say to me, "That is from such and such, everybody knows that.", but I didn't because I had not taken that same influence as they did.

This is all honestly social programming designed to get you to compete with each other. Such is how society is dictated. Don't let yourself be dictated.

I would love to disagree with paindancer given his bible reference, but I cannot because he is right.
However, people have a right to bash Christianity. It has become part of the anti-conformity movement, so to speak. It's a game and it's fun. I also make a habit of bashing Satanists also, as I frequent their forum and in an taboo-breaking fashion, I get them to see their conformity and how they have lost their ways.

No one is safe from criticism. Not even me. Criticism is a right of passage, and passage to truth walking past random hysteria. However, as with most roads, it is generally a 2 way street.

Do not fear conflict. Fear of conflict influences the most dreadful of things.
Note the differences between fear of conflict and fear of that which comes out of avoidance and ignorance.
"Your very existence is a threat."

And so I remain OT, I believe we created ourselves. That is why we are so artistic. If a God had created us, we would be as flawed as ... what we do not wish to be.

And also ... whoa whoa surprise surprise, it's a talus.
But I made no claims of anything, so leave me be.

I am not the darkness, I am the light;
Brilliant, blinding and infinite.
Stare in awe and know beyond doubt;
It is not the darkness you should fear.
Etheros Twilight
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 12:29:58 PM »

Do not fear conflict. Fear of conflict influences the most dreadful of things.
Note the differences between fear of conflict and fear of that which comes out of avoidance and ignorance.
"Your very existence is a threat."

why does that sound familiar....lol xP

seriously tho....i dont know much about the Osiris myth.....but i know the Kheperian vampires trace their origins to ancient egypt...where they performed their alteration...perhaps if you can get one whos knowledgeable to open up then you can find more...

semper praecidium nox quod vitae noctum est omnes nosferatem vitae
Sfinelli3
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:00:06 AM »

Where would I find them?

Sfinelli3
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 09:03:25 AM »

BUT... I dont really see a connection with vampirism and being undead, which is the real flaw in the theory here.  I am fairly certain, that none of the people posting here are dead, and would venture to say that the undead connection is probably more fiction than reality.  Wouldn't you agree Mr. Lestat?

I dont think anyone here is dead, but just because the first was dead doesnt mean the rest have to be.  If there is a way to "turn" (used for lack of a better word) others then maybe it was all just a part of the power of the first Vampire.  Now that I think about it, I get where Anne Rice comes from.  Haha.

paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 09:46:04 AM »

I dont think anyone here is dead, but just because the first was dead doesnt mean the rest have to be.  If there is a way to "turn" (used for lack of a better word) others then maybe it was all just a part of the power of the first Vampire.  Now that I think about it, I get where Anne Rice comes from.  Haha.

Yes, it is a very Rice-y.. 'fictional' stance.  Despite what some groups try to profess, vampirism isnt something you can 'give' to someone else by 'turning', outside of possibly and purposely damaging their energy system very badly to the point where it cannot function on its own (which ammounts to spiritual mutilation.. nothing noble about that AT ALL and I find those who do this to others to be the greatest of cowards).  Kephs, if I understand it correctly believe the originals burned out their root chakra intentionally  (Loose interpretation here, but its the general gist as I understand it as a outsider.)

90% of the time, when you are trying to find a undead link to vampirism, you are talking roleplayers, Sin.  Sure, its not beyond the realm of imagination to consider there may be some beings out there who are clinging to the physical, but that isnt a majority of the cases.  Most of us, just have a need, many since birth, to maintain ourselves.  Nothing happened to us, no undead vampire flew into our crib and bit us in the neck.  Its just a energetic need.  If you aint got it, you aint a vampire, and Gods bless that situation.

I would spend some time going through the AVA survey, and listing some of the listed needs the vamps have.  I certainly think you fall into the energy worker category, so you might find some very useful info in it.

Paindancer
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: