AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  General Vampirism Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Human Potential 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Human Potential  (Read 5576 times)
Stellar
Level 5 Contributor

« on: January 24, 2008, 10:01:30 PM »

This is a transfered post from AVA forum 1.0.

Originally posted by: ZERO

OK, with the Indigo stuff floating around, I was wondering - the particular mythology of the Indigo Children thing basically says that Indigos and Crystals are not human spirits - that they have never incarnated on Earth as humans before.

I've said in another thread that I find many New Age beliefs, this one included, to be essentially anti-human at their core.

We all know what we can't stand about humanity. But keeping in mind that humans at various points in time invented and developed shamanism, math, magick, writing, ethics, utopian science fiction, their relationship with the natural world, mad martial arts skills, comic books, and microwave ovens, do these theories really hold up to analysis?

Did aliens give us all our cool ancient relics? Do those who teach us how to be better people HAVE to not be humans, deep down inside? Don't humans display that potential?

In my perception, "different" doesn't ever carry a value judgment - "different" isn't good or bad, just different. It seems to be a popular thing lately to label different things as positive or negative. When it comes to Otherkin, Vampires, Indigos, Weres, or whatever, where does that land Humans? If we're different-better, then they're same-old-bad. That theory sucks. This is my main beef with the Indigo theory, besides the fact that it's totally unprovable. 

So, what do we, with our outside perspective on humanity, think of this? Do they really require nonhumans to teach them how to be humans better? Or is it just a matter of living up to the potential of their better natures?
Stellar
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:05:12 PM »

Originally posted by: TheWisp

Speaking as a relatively decent mathematician, I can say that human ingenuity is almost terrifyingly fertile and complex. I have seen some proofs that span two or three disciplines, rising, seemingly inexplicably, miles into the sky and so far away from their original topic that one is sure the author has gone mad. Then, they leisurely float back down through the clouds like feathers and land, perfectly, on a dime.

Half the time, the proof is complete before the reader realizes it. I've seen someone fold his papers, leave the podium, and sit down. A few seconds later, people in the crowd start gasping and clapping.

And aliens had nothing to do with them. *shrugs* Ramanujan may attribute some of his brilliancies to his Goddess and who knows what John Nash is thinking, but the vast majority of mathematicians get that sorta smug grin and do the happy dance when they pull off something like that.

We can and have done some bloody amazing things on paper. It's only because people don't understand the implications of some of these things that they look down on us as a whole species and think we had to have been helped. We're not the end-all-be-all of existence, but we've only seen a little bit of what our brains can do, but even that's been mind-blowing
Stellar
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »

Originally posted by: Eclecta

I never understood why people think something isn't possible simply because they themselves cannot understand it. It's quite narcisstic to think that because you can't do it, that it can't be done.

That being said, there are alot of things that seem impossible that are being done everyday.

I'm not math genius, but that was never my strong point...
Stellar
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 10:10:14 PM »

Originally posted by: ZERO

Wisp : I agree wholeheartedly. For me, it's the discipline of anthropology, not mathematics, that tipped me off that humans were not only more than capable of every cool thing that archaeology can dig up, they were more capable and skilled the "lower" the level of tech. I've seen stone-age technology that implements force vector principles that most modern folks don't understand after a semester or two of college physics.

-z
Plump Black Swan
Level 3 Contributor

♥Let Flights Of Angels Sing Thee To Thy Rest♥

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »

I believe it is just living up to the potential of their better natures.
Zero is deep. Eclecta and The Wisp make great points.

♡May your days be short & Nights everlasting♡
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: