AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 03:30:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Donor & Hunger Support (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Are Cheaper Meds Always Better? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Are Cheaper Meds Always Better?  (Read 3792 times)
Giselle
« on: June 11, 2009, 01:20:28 PM »

In the Community, a lot of us are on medication for various conditions. I recently learn some important information concerning generic medicine, I would like to share. As always seek advice from you medical health care provider before changing ANY meds you are on. I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

Is Cheaper Meds Always Better?

With the rising cost of living,insurance companies are looking for ways to cut cost. One way is to require pharmacies to use a generic version of the drug a doc puts you on. Unless the doctor writes "No generic substitutes"on the presciption, 9 times out of 10 you will get a generic version of the drug.Generics are not always the best. Pharmaceutical companies are now making alot of their drugs in over sea countries. Such companies do not control quality as we try to do in the US. Here are some rules to help make sure you are getting a good quality med and what to watch out for.

Rules To Follow:

1. Know if you are taking a generic. Insurers and pharmacies can switch you to a generic version of your drug without informing you. If your pills start looking different or the manufacture on the med label changes, tell your doc and keep an eye out for changes in how you feel.

2. If you have a relapse or reaction, talk to your doc. He/she may want to have you take a brand name only.

3. If it is decided (between you and your doc) a brand name medication will work better for you, I have some places at the bottom that may help with cost.

Meds To Look Out For:

Acne medicine: isotretinoin.

Antidepressants: Budeprion;sertraline

Antiseizure: phenytoin; valproic

Beta-blockers: metoprolol; succinate

Sleeping Pills : zolpiderm

Thyroid Medicine: levothyroxine

I cannot list all of the generic versions of all meds. The above is just examples.

The most important thing in feeling better is you. If something feels off, (where you where fine before), check and see if your medication has been changed to a generic version or a different manufacture of the generic medication. Now I am not telling you to ditch all generics. When (in most cases) usually work just as well as the expensive brand name but just in case....... www. PeoplesPharmacy.org can tip you to generics that have trouble. You can report problems you have yourself at www.fda.gov/medwatch.

Help with cost: PharmacyChecker.com; TogetherRxAccess.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: