AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 06:34:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Energy Work, Psionics, & Paranormal Studies  |  Dreams & Visions (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Article: When Do Dreams Begin? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Article: When Do Dreams Begin?  (Read 5446 times)
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« on: April 22, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »

When Do Dreams Begin?: Recent research from the American Institute of Physics has found that the our dreaming sleep begins much earlier than previously thought.
By: Christie Nicholson
April 16, 2009
Listen to podcast: http://www.sciam.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=when-do-dreams-begin-09-04-16
LINK: http://www.sciam.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=when-do-dreams-begin-09-04-16

[Below is the original script. But a few changes may have been made during the recording of this audio podcast.]

Why we dream continues to elude us. Scientists have proven we need to dream. When robbed of their dreams, rats die within four weeks.

We also know that at seven months a fetus is dreaming, its muscles and eye movements giving the tell-tale signs of REM (or rapid eye movement) sleep and non-REM sleep. But what happens before seven months? When do our dreams begin?

Research published in Chaos, a journal of The American Institute of Physics, provides the first attempt at an answer.

Mathematicians analyzed the brainwaves of a fetal sheep in utero, at 15-weeks. The brain signals at that stage are quite complex, set against noise that is difficult to dampen. But using sophisticated mathematics, scientists discerned a pattern of cortical activation and deactivation, cycling every five to ten minutes — this, the scientists note, is a crude precursor to the longer cycles of REM and non-REM sleep.

We can only guess at the content—do sheep dream of electric androids?  But the study shows that dreamlike sleep develops before rapid eye movements. And the discovery may give researchers new insight into the purpose of sleep and dreams.

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
House AVA Founding Member
Forum Moderator
vitchy
Level 4 Contributor

Hello

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 04:16:13 AM »

My dreams never end!!!!!  Even when Im not sleeping.  Arent we always thinking about how we would like our lives.  So where do dreams acually stop.  If you stop dreaming then you dont exist in my opinion. 

*look at the world thru pure light*
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »

If you stop dreaming then you dont exist in my opinion. 

I guess thats what happened to the rats.

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
House AVA Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Synora
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:28:24 AM »

This is fascinating, perhaps because I am pregnant with my first child.  Wink I tend to think of the baby as conscious and human when they begin to dream. Do you happen to know if this is true when a child is born prematurely? I wonder if a baby born at 6 months would immediately begin to enter REM or if it would be a month later.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: