AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:47:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Religion, Spirituality, & Philosophy  |  Shamanism | Buddhism | Hinduism | Daoism (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Introduction To Buddhism 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Introduction To Buddhism  (Read 20304 times)
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« on: January 29, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »

POSTED BY ECLECTA NOV, 2005

An Introduction to Buddhism

To do no evil;

To cultivate good;

To purify one's mind:

This is the teaching of the Buddhas.

--The Dhammapada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Buddha was born Siddhartha Gautama, a prince of the Sakya tribe of Nepal, in approximately 566 BC. When he was twentynine years old, he left the comforts of his home to seek the meaning of the suffering he saw around him. After six years of arduous yogic training, he abandoned the way of self-mortification and instead sat in mindful meditation beneath a bodhi tree.

On the full moon of May, with the rising of the morning star, Siddhartha Gautama became the Buddha, the enlightened one.

The Buddha wandered the plains of northeastern India for 45 years more, teaching the path or Dharma he had realized in that moment. Around him developed a community or Sangha of monks and, later, nuns, drawn from every tribe and caste, devoted to practicing this path. In approximately 486 BC, at the age of 80, the Buddha died. His last words are said to be...

Impermanent are all created things;

Strive on with awareness.

http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/buddhaintro.html

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
House AVA Founding Member
Forum Moderator
GraVes
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:03:39 PM »

I am a non-practicing atheistic Buddhist.......Which is a fancy way of saying I really like what buddhism has to offer but I know that I can't follow the teachings as I should so I just try to live right. I believe in Karma and of the cycle of Samsara and I try everyday to live to my fullest potential. I know I'll never reach enlightenment (to be honest I don't even know if it's truly possible) but I'm still going to try in my own way.

"20 Bucks says none of y'all dumb white people can kill me"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: